"Emo"

SunnyDRE

It's annoying when people name bands like Coheed and Cambria emo because it somewhat damages their reputation as a credible rock act. Like it or not, in most people's mind "emo" conjures up the image of whiny little scene kids who sit around feeling sorry for themselves, there's not much in the way of respect or admiration associated with an image like that therefore it destroys people's opinion of the band virtually before they hear the music.

Which is a shame really because Coheed are nothing but good old fashioned Rock N Roll with a bit of a modern Sci-Fi twist.

As a PROUD FAN of emo.......I have to let you know that Coheed and Cambria are very very much emo.

Buy their first couple records, listen to them, then listen to a Thursday Cd.

They are most definitely not, and I have all their records and have seen them live. I'm not gonna get into a childish squabble about it because I see too much of that on this forum.

If anything they're progressive rock, their sci fi inspired lyrcs, massive sound and musical complexity would put that across. A band whose main influences lie with Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin have nothing to do with the world of emotive hardcore.

The only thing which at all leads them towards emo territory is the high pitch of Claudio Sanchez's vocals, which is integral to their sound and really only unique to Claudio rather than following a trend.

Coheed have the integrity not to ride the emo wave.

Progressive Rock? Your kidding right?

This band is emo. Spare me with all the Zepplin references and sci fi crap. Coheed and Cambria pretty much ripped off everything Sunny Day Real Estate and Mineral ever did.

Go listen Sunny Day Real Estate's album-Diary. An album which I might add rock critic, Chuck Klosterman called the most influential album of the 90's.

It pretty much predicted every emo band 10 years before the genre even had a name.

Bands like Blink 182, Fall Out Boy, Weezer, and even the Deftones owe so much to these guys

I bet if you asked Claudio Sanchez, or indeed the rest of them, they'd name Maiden, Zeppelin and Floyd. I bet they wouldn't even think of Sunny Day Real Estate. Have you heard Gravemakers and Gunslingers? or No World For Tomorrow? or The Light and the Glass or Welcome Home? They have classic bluesy hard rock stamped all over them.

So while you seem to think Coheed owes a lot to them, in actual fact I'm pretty sure Coheed don't owe them shit.

Taken from an interview with Sanchez:

"Claudio Sanchez started the band as an elaborate emo group."

SOURCE:

Alterntative Press: Vol 20 Issue 208. November 205 Page #189.

Edited by SunnyDRE

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's annoying when people name bands like Coheed and Cambria emo because it somewhat damages their reputation as a credible rock act. Like it or not, in most people's mind "emo" conjures up the image of whiny little scene kids who sit around feeling sorry for themselves, there's not much in the way of respect or admiration associated with an image like that therefore it destroys people's opinion of the band virtually before they hear the music.

Which is a shame really because Coheed are nothing but good old fashioned Rock N Roll with a bit of a modern Sci-Fi twist.

As a PROUD FAN of emo.......I have to let you know that Coheed and Cambria are very very much emo.

They are most definitely not, and I have all their records and have seen them live. I'm not gonna get into a childish squabble about it because I see too much of that on this forum.

If anything they're progressive rock, their sci fi inspired lyrcs, massive sound and musical complexity would put that across. A band whose main influences lie with Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin have nothing to do with the world of emotive hardcore.

The only thing which at all leads them towards emo territory is the high pitch of Claudio Sanchez's vocals, which is integral to their sound and really only unique to Claudio rather than following a trend.

This band is emo. Spare me with all the Zepplin references and sci fi crap. Coheed and Cambria pretty much ripped off everything Sunny Day Real Estate and Mineral ever did.

Go listen Sunny Day Real Estate's album-Diary. An album which I might add rock critic, Chuck Klosterman called the most influential album of the 90's.

It pretty much predicted every emo band 10 years before the genre even had a name.

Bands like Blink 182, Fall Out Boy, Weezer, and even the Deftones owe so much to these guys

I bet if you asked Claudio Sanchez, or indeed the rest of them, they'd name Maiden, Zeppelin and Floyd. I bet they wouldn't even think of Sunny Day Real Estate. Have you heard Gravemakers and Gunslingers? or No World For Tomorrow? or The Light and the Glass or Welcome Home? They have classic bluesy hard rock stamped all over them.

So while you seem to think Coheed owes a lot to them, in actual fact I'm pretty sure Coheed don't owe them shit.

Taken from an interview with Sanchez:

"Claudio Sanchez started the band as an elaborate emo group."

SOURCE:

Alterntative Press: Vol 20 Issue 208. November 205 Page #189.

MySpace.com/coheedandcambria

Alternative/Progressive/Rock.

:lol: I guess i got into one of those tit-for-tat debates that I wanted to avoid, my apologies SunnyDRE, I guess everyone sees different sides to a band, I just can't see the emo in Coheed.

About coheed... I've been into them since the start. The early Shabutie stuff and SSTB is definitely emo. However, throughout their growth as artists they've moved more away from that and into a more progressive style telling the story of the Amory Wars. IKSOSE:3 is for me, the perfect album and the band at their prime. I couldn't get into the first good apollo album, but I found a great resurgence in the second.

IMO, on the emo scale for coheed, from most emo to most progressive:

Penelope (Shabutie Days) -- SSTB -- IKSOSE:3 -- Good Apollo Vol. 2 -- Good Apollo Vol 1

Yeah yeah

EDIT:

Back on topic, I really only listen to emo nowadays.

Edited by kevin

I doubt it. I am sure he prolly heard of them and would list them as an influence.

Its so obvious. You really need to listen to a couple of Sunny Day Real Estate albums, than you'd think differently.

Coheed and Cambria's last album was a total rip-off of The Rising Tide by Sunny Day Real Estate. Which is fine bands rip-off other artist all the time. Some times with amazing results.

Smashing Pumpkings - My Blood Valentine

Interpol - Joy Division

Strokes - Television

Ja Rule - DMX

Nas - KRS One

Kelly Clarkson - Alanis Morrisette

I really think "rip-off" is a bit stronger than you need to be using. Perhaps Cohhed were influenced by said band, maybe they even admit to it. Does that make them emo?

Absolutely not.

It's like calling Pantera Glam Metal... yeah, they started as Glam, but, is that what they became known as?

Also, although My Bloody Valentine and (The) Smashing Pumpkins sound similar, I wouldn't say SP ripped them off, they influenced them, sure, why not, but, SP is still a unique band.

Same with the rest of them. Just because one artist influences another doesn't mean that one ripped the other off, or vice versa.

And back on topic, do you understand why emo is so disliked yet?

Emo is disliked because all the 'classic' rock fans don't like seeing a new fad coming along, and would rather hear songs about drinking and fucking than something with real emotion in it.

'Sleeveless and miniature, monster overture'

Emo is disliked because all the 'classic' rock fans don't like seeing a new fad coming along, and would rather hear songs about drinking and fucking than something with real emotion in it.

'Sleeveless and miniature, monster overture'

I agree with you about why classic rock fans dislike emo, but, its more than that... I think it's just because emo got big, and, whenever something gets big, the people who aren't benefitting from it, hate it... it's the reason I think some modern metal fans hate emo and what not

About coheed... I've been into them since the start. The early Shabutie stuff and SSTB is definitely emo. However, throughout their growth as artists they've moved more away from that and into a more progressive style telling the story of the Amory Wars. IKSOSE:3 is for me, the perfect album and the band at their prime. I couldn't get into the first good apollo album, but I found a great resurgence in the second.

IMO, on the emo scale for coheed, from most emo to most progressive:

Penelope (Shabutie Days) -- SSTB -- IKSOSE:3 -- Good Apollo Vol. 2 -- Good Apollo Vol 1

Yeah yeah

EDIT:

Back on topic, I really only listen to emo nowadays.

You were he board's original Cohead, you and Ohdistortedsmile. I do however think Good Apollo I is a fantastic album. If I were to list all my fave tracks from the album most of the song listing would be there. they needed that "darkest hour" if you ask me because they then came back fighting with Good Apollo II.

Just my opinion though.

for me emo is a 14-16 years teens who always use make-up and dressed like... anyway...it's awful)))

Substitute 'emo' for glam rock, hair metal...

no way....those kind of children doesn't know motley crue, but they love tokio hotel)))

Once again, you've missed the point.

for me emo is a 14-16 years teens who always use make-up and dressed like... anyway...it's awful)))

Substitute 'emo' for glam rock, hair metal...

no way....those kind of children doesn't know motley crue, but they love tokio hotel)))

Once again, you've missed the point.

i'm from Russia....so...you can take me easy)))

Well I think people who dress all weird like that with the chains, and the weird hairdoo's, and the spikes, the spripes, and the make-up are really gothic.

Gothic is believeing in a way of life that is very different then others. (Like wearing cloths that are very different then other people)

Being Emo is when you have a mental "didorder"/or belief/bad attitude that makes you depressed, gives you mood swings, Anger issues, crying sprees, Depression/manic depression/severs depression, eating disorders, or if your Bipolar, and/or have a bad life.

There are real Emo's and thats what I call "Emos". They can look just like a regular person, and may not show any emotion when people are around, but if they are Emo" they do show/feel major emotion sometimes. But then there are also the wanna-be Emo's who are really Gothic. They stand out by their own appearence, and by their choice in role models, and choice of music. They often try to mimic the real "Emos" and will accept them into the Gothic group to strengthin the appearance of the whole group being true "Emo"

Well I think people who dress all weird like that with the chains, and the weird hairdoo's, and the spikes, the spripes, and the make-up are really gothic.

Gothic is believeing in a way of life that is very different then others. (Like wearing cloths that are very different then other people)

Being Emo is when you have a mental "didorder"/or belief/bad attitude that makes you depressed, gives you mood swings, Anger issues, crying sprees, Depression/manic depression/severs depression, eating disorders, or if your Bipolar, and/or have a bad life.

There are real Emo's and thats what I call "Emos". They can look just like a regular person, and may not show any emotion when people are around, but if they are Emo" they do show/feel major emotion sometimes. But then there are also the wanna-be Emo's who are really Gothic. They stand out by their own appearence, and by their choice in role models, and choice of music. They often try to mimic the real "Emos" and will accept them into the Gothic group to strengthin the appearance of the whole group being true "Emo"

as for me....we're all people.... so if you think that you're like no other....prove it with your words and deeds.... not with your clothes... that's posers....

It's funny the way they dress like that to be different and yet after a while... they all look the same.

When I live most people associate the word "emo" with Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Tokio Hotel etc and the 13-16 year old kids who are their fans and associate themselves with being "emo"...

It doesn't really have anything to do with what "emo" really is when we're talking about music (I don't know myself). It's just peoples impression of the "loudest" of the bunch, ie the ones who get most attention in the media (MTV etc - the bands) and the people who are "obviously" fan (the annoying kids). Most people (once again including me) doesn't know what "emo" really "is", but it has become a slur for "bad but popular band amongst young teenage girls who consider themselves depressed or misunderstood and wear lots of black". Or something like that :P

Edited by izzystradlin'

It's all about the attitude, they're little whiney bitches with a bad sound. Just like people dont like Green Day these days not because the music is bad, but because their attitude is really contrived and fake. Some people say the Smiths were emo, but apart from being fucking cool, they had a genuine attitude and message, thus not being so.

It's all about the attitude, they're little whiney bitches with a bad sound. Just like people dont like Green Day these days not because the music is bad, but because their attitude is really contrived and fake. Some people say the Smiths were emo, but apart from being fucking cool, they had a genuine attitude and message, thus not being so.

Greenday's last album sold 15 million copies (5 in the US alone), so I think alot people do like them.

Whats so fake about the music? Is it the fact the alot people like that bothers you? Maybe you can't stand that teenagers like bands that you've enjoyed in past.

Futhermore how can you say their music is bad? American Idiot won a Grammy in 2005 for Best Rock Album and was nominated for Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Rock Song ("Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group, and Best Short Form Music Video ("American Idiot").

I bet if Chinese Democracy recieved those accolades, people on this forum would be calling it the greatest album of alltime.

As for the Smiths; Seriously I am as big of fan of these guys as anybody, but have you listen to their complete discography.

Morrisey, at times, is the "King" of whining.

Greenday's last album sold 15 million copies (5 in the US alone), so I think alot people do like them.

Whats so fake about the music? Is it the fact the alot people like that bothers you? Maybe you can't stand that teenagers like bands that you've enjoyed in past.

Futhermore how can you say their music is bad? American Idiot won a Grammy in 2005 for Best Rock Album and was nominated for Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Rock Song ("Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group, and Best Short Form Music Video ("American Idiot").

I bet if Chinese Democracy recieved those accolades, people on this forum would be calling it the greatest album of alltime.

As for the Smiths; Seriously I am as big of fan of these guys as anybody, but have you listen to their complete discography.

Morrisey, at times, is the "King" of whining.

I never said Green Day's american idiot was bad, I said people generally dislike it because they're phoney, I think it's one of the best albums of the 00's, all their singles seriously fucking rocked. Now your grammar is fucking terrible, so it's kind of hard to understand what you were saying in that 2nd paragraph, but I think I know what you were getting at and I have my own reasons for not liking music, it's cool to dislike Green Day, but I dislike them because they were my heros in the 90's and now they've just broken off from everything they believed in; an honest youthful enxuberence, tangible political messages and songs about masturbing, but that crap they did with U2, "Wake me up when September ends" :rolleyes: please. And yes I have listened to the whole Smiths Discography, and there's soul in their music, not a bunch of band-wagon jumpers like today.

I still dont know what the fucks the difference between an 'emo' and a 'goth'. Kids i went to school with who were into the cure more or less dress the fukin same as the emo kids do today. The only difference i can see is that the emo music is shite, like the cure piss over any 'emo' music iv ever heard.