what happened to black music?

darkstar_legend

???

when you think black music you think rap/hip hop, but it used to be the blues. what happened?

i saw a short on tv a couple of weeks ago. a guy was traversing the south (texas i think, it was where some famous march across a bridge took place) and he was talking to this old guy (apparantly famous blues player, cant remember his name) and he was sitting playing his guitar out the porch. and he said something like, "kids these days. they're only interested in rap and that shit" then he sorta made those beatbox beats and rolling his eyes and laughing it off and lamenting the fact that blues is dying among the youth.

and i just thought, thats strange how he refereed to rap/hip hop like that.

the blues is always there its just...fragmented to a point where the elements of it that are in other music, the more LASTING effects of it i dont mean contemporary blues are indiscernable now. Blues nowadays, the legacy of it is manifested in the most part in rock n roll music really. there are a LOT of similarities between blues and hip hop really, im suprised the person in question didnt pick up on it.

first, hip hop is primarily beat right? well the Blues was like...the gateway to percussive guitar playing, rhythmic, hypnotic, incantatory...logically traced back to like...africa y'know and the drum as the great communicator? that in itself is a great link between the blues and hip hop.

another is subject matter, the blues was music to deal with people lives and their realities and hardships and such...same with hip hop...or at least it was in the beggining. its like a lineage, Blues is at one end and hip hop at the other.

adore the blues :):)

Edited by ffrankwhite

The blues never went away. Take your ass to New Orleans or Memphis. Blues ain't dead.

The problem is the business markets what they market, and the blues ain't one of 'em. Same with other genres. Apparently it's far more fashionable to market a cunt like Amy Winehouse who imitates a black female artist, instead of just giving the job to the thousands of capable black female artists who would be just as good or better.

I'm really starting to think racism in the business ain't dead.

i really can't agree frank.....

blues guitar playing has never been about beat really so much as it was more of a mood setter. Stories about fighting the influence of the devil, and about hard times, it requires a melody, a feeling, and the guitar is like that paragraph that sets up that magical feeling/setting of a story or book

to a degree, yeah it's heavy rythm playing, but thats because blues songs were written by one person with a guitar, and played that way, with no backing.

in conveying a point about hard times, thats a reasoonale point to make, but blues wasn't a straight rythm form like hip hop is, early blues form relates closer to folk

later blues(60's+) in it's virtuosity and rocking's a different story

I know what darkstars gettin at, to be honest it freaks me out when i see a black guy playin an instrument nowadays. Its a shame that all that great black music is more or less dying, it might be still there but u have to look fukin hard for it. Like look at shine a light when buddy guy came on, thats what fukin musics about! Not some wanabe gangster shouting, "Yo make some noise! Represent!", fukin laughable. Most 'White music' aint any fukin better today either as far as im concerened, there is some good, honest music out there though, it just dont get hardly any air play. If anybody knows of any young black musicians who are makin blusey music let me know, id love to check em out.

i really can't agree frank.....

blues guitar playing has never been about beat really so much as it was more of a mood setter. Stories about fighting the influence of the devil, and about hard times, it requires a melody, a feeling, and the guitar is like that paragraph that sets up that magical feeling/setting of a story or book

to a degree, yeah it's heavy rythm playing, but thats because blues songs were written by one person with a guitar, and played that way, with no backing.

in conveying a point about hard times, thats a reasoonale point to make, but blues wasn't a straight rythm form like hip hop is, early blues form relates closer to folk

later blues(60's+) in it's virtuosity and rocking's a different story

oh it definitely has melody but the basic shit, the 12 bar blues...i cant describe it but its basically the roll in rock n roll. like Pete Townshend says, its a rhythm thing, it undulates