If Metallica hadn't released an album since 'Black'.....

sliverjazz

I also love the There Was A Time solo. The solo on Shackler's Elephant sounds terrible to my ears and I'd take a stock Hammet solo over that one any day.

For the poster above. I think you're going to the nerd extreme on this one.

I'm not sure what you mean. LOL! Aye Aye Captain! Yeah - I'm a nerd extremist.

Edited by Ions

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, the guitar solo on the New Metallica song kicks the shit out of the one on Shackler's Dinner.

if it was something new, i would have agreed with you.

That was a simple crap Metallica always have done. A poor imitation of And Justice For All

The Shu-klu Elephant is the winner.

personally, I don't care if it's innovative or not, the solo in the new metallica song blows the crap that passes for a solo in shackler's revenge out of the water, and that is coming from someone that has been a long time gnr supporter who has been anxiously waiting to hail any new material, and who loves buckethead, but has to admit that the solo in shackler's sucks ass. The rest of the song is pretty damn good however. It's pretty sad that with all of the talented guitarists that axl has in the band, that is the best he could come up with for the solo in the 1st gnr single from CD.

Edited by hpantazo

The first 3:30 or so just seems like a re-worked 'Fade To Black' to me as well.

Hey, it's nice to see that I'm not the only person who thinks that. It's pretty much the first thing that popped into my head as the intro solo finished and popped into the clean section.

Eh, I didn't read all 4 pages of this thread...I'll say this...

I'm very lukewarm to the new metallica song (though I like the 2nd half...not fond of James' vocals, but like the instrumental part) and I think they passed thier prime after Black.

Once this is released, one could probably put together a 10-12 song album of pretty good stuff from post-black Metallica...I mean Load/Reload had a few highpoints....and this is in the time since the Illusions...

I *do* believe that had Axl released a few albums in this time, they would be far superior...but the guy needs to actually release something...else it's moot!

By the way, the guitar solo on the New Metallica song kicks the shit out of the one on Shackler's Dinner.

That was a simple crap Metallica always have done. A poor imitation of And Justice For All

I completely agree with your opinion. Their new song, cyanide and their album, St. Anger sucked dick. I am now taking donations for enough pyro to reset James Hetfield on fire. Maybe this will make him sing in tune. They will never reach the heights they did with Ride the Lightening and Justice for All.

Edited by snowblind

People would probably care about their new album at least as much if not more because they wouldn't have released a string of mediocre albums capped off with a terrible one.

Let's face it, people go to see Metallica's shows for the old material, and people buy their new music because of the name brand more than the quality

If Metallica had been on hiatus and Death Magnetic was their first album in 17 years then people as in casual fans and listeners probably would be anticipating it more eagerly. Their hardcore fans would be excited regardless. But their commercial peak was with Black and public interest in their new releases has eroded with each album because, frankly, they haven't been that good

Edited by shotgunblues1978

This has got to be the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum...

Who was GNR's keyboardist before Dizzy? No one. GNR's original Keyboardist was Dizzy Reed.

Who was GNR's third guitarist before Buckethead? No one. GNR's original third guitarist was Buckethead.

Who was GNR's second keyboardist before Pitman? No one. GNR's original second keyboardist was Chris Pitman.

Who was GNR's... oh fuck it, everyone even remotely associated with GNR is an original member, even Jarmo. His percussion on Appetite was flawless.

I'm very lukewarm to the new metallica song (though I like the 2nd half...not fond of James' vocals, but like the instrumental part) and I think they passed thier prime after Black.

Once this is released, one could probably put together a 10-12 song album of pretty good stuff from post-black Metallica...I mean Load/Reload had a few highpoints....and this is in the time since the Illusions...

I *do* believe that had Axl released a few albums in this time, they would be far superior...but the guy needs to actually release something...else it's moot!

Same here.. I don't like the new Metallica single that much. Jesus, two of my favourite bands release a single and I don't like it. Don't like The Day That Never Comes, don't like Shackler..

:|

Hopefully the new Blackstone Cherry album I've ordered will comfort me.

Gotta say this however: the first 3 or 4 minutes of The Day That Never Comes could be a good ballad.. after that it's just a complete mess. There is no real flow or emotion in it towards the end. I was listening to it for the first time with my girlfriend and we both went like "wtf is happening now" .. Metallica has lost it.

At the same time, general response to Shackler's Revenge is that it's not finished. It sounds like a song they're still working on. It doesn't sound like a song someone like Axl has worked on very long. Just like Oh My God, it seems unfinished and could be much better.

It's a good thing some (new) bands still produce good old rock.. Medusa Stone, Blackstone Cherry, Alter Bridge, Gov't Mule, even the new 3 Doors Down record has some rocking songs (aside from the radio friendly stuff).

Hmmz.

personally, I don't care if it's innovative or not, the solo in the new metallica song blows the crap that passes for a solo in shackler's revenge out of the water, and that is coming from someone that has been a long time gnr supporter who has been anxiously waiting to hail any new material, and who loves buckethead, but has to admit that the solo in shackler's sucks ass. The rest of the song is pretty damn good however. It's pretty sad that with all of the talented guitarists that axl has in the band, that is the best he could come up with for the solo in the 1st gnr single from CD.

cupcake much?

Same here.. I don't like the new Metallica single that much. Jesus, two of my favourite bands release a single and I don't like it. Don't like The Day That Never Comes, don't like Shackler..

Gotta say this however: the first 3 or 4 minutes of The Day That Never Comes could be a good ballad.. after that it's just a complete mess. There is no real flow or emotion in it towards the end. I was listening to it for the first time with my girlfriend and we both went like "wtf is happening now" .. Metallica has lost it.

At the same time, general response to Shackler's Revenge is that it's not finished. It sounds like a song they're still working on. It doesn't sound like a song someone like Axl has worked on very long. Just like Oh My God, it seems unfinished and could be much better.

It's a good thing some (new) bands still produce good old rock.. Medusa Stone, Blackstone Cherry, Alter Bridge, Gov't Mule, even the new 3 Doors Down record has some rocking songs (aside from the radio friendly stuff).

Hmmz.

3 Doors down? The guys who sing the National Guard commercial? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I completely agree with your opinion. Their new song, cyanide and their album, St. Anger sucked dick. I am now taking donations for enough pyro to reset James Hetfield on fire. Maybe this will make him sing in tune. They will never reach the heights they did with Ride the Lightening and Justice for All.

Pedant time. Their new single sucks dick. Present tense please.

Anyway, on-topic, the single biggest thing keeping people interested in GNR is the whole circus that's surrounded CD. It's strangely compelling.

Anyway, on-topic, the single biggest thing keeping people interested in GNR is the whole circus that's surrounded CD. It's strangely compelling.

Yes, when the cd is released it will all be over. Message boards will be empty, the wait for cd will be forgotten, people will find something else to wait for and speculate over :D

I know I will stop coming here.. I used to read the vr message boards, alter bridge message board, etc.. and stopped doing those things as soon as I had the cd's in my hand. Nothing left to discuss, just listen to the darn thing, decide if it's worth listening to and go do something else. It's that simple.

They should dump James...he cant write a good song any more. It's evident on the first half of this song....it's recycled Load & Reload gone bad...Any one got the lyrics of this song? ...I thought I heard James saying (Love is a 4 letter Word?) WTF was that? :lol:

cupcake much?

No , I just have a life outside the gnr message boards unlike you. If you don't like a comment, try replying with some explanation instead of replying like a 5 year old next time

Hmmz.

3 Doors down? The guys who sing the National Guard commercial? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Axl has his fan-base and Metallica has theirs

If the fans knew that James was working on a album of new material for 10-15 years, replaced all of the originals left, yet was still keeping the name Metallica, I'm sure they'd be in the same boat we're in now ( with a little less craziness, I'm sure)

Lars would never let James take over the band.

Edited by Dean-16