Blue Screen Of Death

GET OFF AXLS BACK

I have in possession a pc, it started with an ntldr compression error which i managed to pass and then did as advised due to not being able to open recovery console.

Turn on the computer. When the initial logo screen appears, press the F10 key repeatedly until a message about starting recovery appears.

At the Recovery screen, click Advanced Options and then press the Alt and D keys at the same time to go to a command prompt.

At the command prompt, enter the following: diskpart

At the command prompt, enter the following: list volume

Remember the drive letter next to line for the main hard drive; HP_PAVILION or PRESARIO.

To close Diskpart, enter the following: exit

At the command prompt, enter the drive letter followed by a colon (:). For example, H:

At the command prompt, enter the following: cd \windows\system32

At the command prompt, type the following: compact ntldr /u <the drive letter>:\ntldr

For example if the drive letter was H, you would type: compact ntldr /u h:\ntldr

Type exit and press Enter .

Click Quit .

After this a rebooted and it loaded and asked me for time settings, saved then went blank.

Then i got the blue screen of death saying something about a problem occurred forcing windows to shut down, advising chkdsk of F even though changes were made to D as well as a stop error code which i forgot to note down.

I've tried going to last known good config and safe mode but the BSOD just reloads with the same message

I don't have a windows install disk to repair and it has become apparent to me that hp don't provide them, they install help files and stuff like that on a partition on the HDD, which with this kind of error is useless because its a drive problem

Anybody?

Edited by GET OFF AXLS BACK

I have in possession a pc, it started with an ntldr compression error which i managed to pass and then did as advised due to not being able to open recovery console.

Turn on the computer. When the initial logo screen appears, press the F10 key repeatedly until a message about starting recovery appears.

At the Recovery screen, click Advanced Options and then press the Alt and D keys at the same time to go to a command prompt.

At the command prompt, enter the following: diskpart

At the command prompt, enter the following: list volume

Remember the drive letter next to line for the main hard drive; HP_PAVILION or PRESARIO.

To close Diskpart, enter the following: exit

At the command prompt, enter the drive letter followed by a colon (:). For example, H:

At the command prompt, enter the following: cd \windows\system32

At the command prompt, type the following: compact ntldr /u <the drive letter>:\ntldr

For example if the drive letter was H, you would type: compact ntldr /u h:\ntldr

Type exit and press Enter .

Click Quit .

After this a rebooted and it loaded and asked me for time settings, saved then went blank.

Then i got the blue screen of death saying something about a problem occurred forcing windows to shut down, advising chkdsk of F even though changes were made to D as well as a stop error code which i forgot to note down.

I've tried going to last known good config and safe mode but the BSOD just reloads with the same message

I don't have a windows install disk to repair and it has become apparent to me that hp don't provide them, they install help files and stuff like that on a partition on the HDD, which with this kind of error is useless because its a drive problem

Anybody?

The repair through command's hasn't been to successful for me in the past

So I would recommend you borrow a friend's xp professional disk

It's much easier to repair xp with the disk

or google for a solution

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...ation&meta=

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q310994

Use that guide to make bootable floppies to access the recovery console. Then use chkdsk c: /f to eliminate any drive errors.

Alternatively, just plug the drive into another pc, open up the command prompt and run chkdsk c: /f .....It will do the same thing as running it in the recovery console.

EDIT: Sounds like ntldr in the root of the drive is compressed. Stick it in another PC and untick it for uncompression. If that fails, redo the boot files using fixboot at the recovery console.

Edited by Max™

Use that guide to make bootable floppies to access the recovery console. Then use chkdsk c: /f to eliminate any drive errors.

Alternatively, just plug the drive into another pc, open up the command prompt and run chkdsk c: /f .....It will do the same thing as running it in the recovery console.

EDIT: Sounds like ntldr in the root of the drive is compressed. Stick it in another PC and untick it for uncompression. If that fails, redo the boot files using fixboot at the recovery console.

Im confused Max, if the hard drive is the problem how can a solution be to take said hard drive and put it in another pc, surely the same problem will be there, when it loads i'll get blue screen and won't get past that?

Im confused Max, if the hard drive is the problem how can a solution be to take said hard drive and put it in another pc, surely the same problem will be there, when it loads i'll get blue screen and won't get past that?

Run it in raid, or as a secondary/slave harddrive - then you can access it without the hassle of it being the primary drive, thus affective boot-up. You can then access it, uncompress, wipe/format etc.

Run it in raid, or as a secondary/slave harddrive - then you can access it without the hassle of it being the primary drive, thus affective boot-up. You can then access it, uncompress, wipe/format etc.

I did as Max suggested, connected to another pc with xp but i didn't connect it as slave but as master, it got me into hp's recovery console which im guessing is the equivalent of xp's repair option, im guessing it will whipe the HDD which isn't a problem as data wasn't important?

Its copying over files now so we will see, its a pain in the arse that hp do this, a CD would be so much easier

I did as Max suggested, connected to another pc with xp but i didn't connect it as slave but as master, it got me into hp's recovery console which im guessing is the equivalent of xp's repair option, im guessing it will whipe the HDD which isn't a problem as data wasn't important?

Its copying over files now so we will see, its a pain in the arse that hp do this, a CD would be so much easier

I believe so - format it, and you'll be good to go. Then reinstall, brilliant - clean as day!

After finishing it prompted me to restart using the user partition, now it has just gone black on reboot

EDIT

Finished up have to do a destructive whipe which isn't a problem, it cleared the original problem and booted up fine with a clean HDD, on small thing is it loads automatically into the admin account even though i enabled a guest account.

Any idea's?

After finishing it prompted me to restart using the user partition, now it has just gone black on reboot

EDIT

Finished up have to do a destructive whipe which isn't a problem, it cleared the original problem and booted up fine with a clean HDD, on small thing is it loads automatically into the admin account even though i enabled a guest account.

Any idea's?

Did ou download any music recently?

Anyways if it happens again I suggest you go to your garage, get a hammer and BAM!

EDIT

Any idea's?

Did ou download any music recently?

Anyways if it happens again I suggest you go to your garage, get a hammer and BAM!

It wasn't mine it was an idiot friends :rofl-lol:

He must have set the HDD to compress files to save space and corrupted them in the process, sorted now with the exception of the user account glitch

What I meant was - a simple chkdsk would have sorted your issue in the first place. All you needed to do was set the drive as a slave, put it in another computer, boot the pc up as normal and go into windows. and the system would have seen it as a separate drive which would could've run chkdsk on. 5 minutes later the problem would've most likely been sorted without any data loss.

Most PC brands of diag tools are useless. I'm not sure whether you were booting into a true recovery console or HP's excuse for a 'restore' (which actually just copies over original Windows install directory from one place to another, not really too clever of them - depending on what system it is.

Anyhow, it seems you have sorted it.