Prince

Black Monk Time

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jan/0...albums-for-2009

Oh shit, I want them all right now. From the descriptions in that article, I think I'm looking forward to Lotus Flower the most, and I'm guessing "There Will B Another 1 Like Me," "Colonized Mind," etc.-- the four songs he released to some radio station in December-- will be on this one.

MPLSOUND does sound interesting, though, especially since it features Q-Tip. Sounds almost like it will be similar to Kanye's 808s, if the article's description is accurate, what with the Pro-Tools and stuff. The other album, Elixir, sounds pretty cool; Prince is the master of "sexy, chill-out songs," but I've never heard of Bria Valente before, so I'm not going to get my hopes too high for this at the moment.

I hope he goes through with all of this and doesn't do another Black Album or whatever.

Edit: Just found this new, official website which has three songs in its media player, presumably one from each album. If that's the case, MPLSOUND is a bit different from how I imagined it-- if "Crimson and Clover" is going to be on it, anyway.

The third track is obviously from Elixir. I quite like it but it's nothing spectacular. If it's one of the weaker tracks on the album, I think I'll really enjoy it. She does have a good voice, but she's no Appolonia.

Edited by Black Monk Time

According to the movie "An Evening with Kevin Smith" (director of Clerks,Dogma etc..), Prince has a shitload of music locked in a vault, big time video's as well. Not a surprise that he has a lot of music to release.

I'm not a fan, but he is talented.

• 4 weeks later...

The Lotus Flow3r website has been updated now; there's a new instrumental called "Discojellyfish" and a Bria Valente song called "Another Boy." Apparently the latter has been on iTunes for some months now, but I've never heard of it before.

I really like "Discojellyfish." Very funky instrumenal and kind of experimental, although I hope there's not too many instrumentals on the album (if any; this could have vocals in its final form, I guess). The soloing at the end of the track really reminds me of something Buckethead would have done in the mid-00s.

"Another Boy" makes me look forward Bria's album more. Great R&B track. Her vocals on this are really good and I like Prince's guitar playing a lot -- really mellow and sexy.

Rolling Stone did an article yesterday after a listening party/concert or something. Link.

These albums are probably my most anticipated albums of the year right now and they're shaping up to be Prince's best work since The Gold Experience or at least Musicology. The songs I've heard already are better than the whole of Planet Earth alone. Although there's nothing as good as 3121's "Fury" just yet, I think he'll manage to better that album on the whole.

Album cover is pretty cool, too, and I can't wait to see his cover of "Creep" on the website (I've never seen it before).

One downside is this:

Downstairs in the home theater, Clay gives a deeper glimpse of what's coming on the site, set to slowly unfold in coming months.

I want them all right now. Waiting months for these is gonna suck.

Edited by Black Monk Time