Rock Music CA 1976-1980

Guest deleted_19765

Guest deleted_19765

I am really enamored with this time period. It may not have yielded as many great records as the former half of the decade, but the scene was visibly tired and scraping, scrapping, fighting to create some of the new sounds that would dominate the 1980s. I won't even get into Punk, because that isn't really my area, but obviously its all there. The living icons of the sixties were becoming part of a bygone era, and had to react by releasing tough, original albums such as Rust Never Sleeps, Hejira, and Street Legal. Bowie arguably reached his creative peak here with his Berlin albums as well as the production and instrumentation on Iggy Pop's The Idiot and others. Still more, you had the emergence of Talking Heads, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and many other acts I just can't think of right now who made hits and great, original records. Whether you want to call these groups "New Wave" or not, there was some cool music. Led Zeppelin and Thin Lizzy were still going strong and releasing some of their most innovative work. George Clinton's groups reached their apex under Bernie Worrell. I could go on forever but what I really love about this time period was the lack of identity. The music became rawer and more emotional as people were grappling with just who they might be within their culture. I feel like we might be in a similar time.

I think the 70s were the best time for music, from those years you've mentioned what about these albums.

Eagles - Hotel California

Boston - Boston

Boston - Don't Look Back

Rush - 2112 (In fact any Rush album from the 70s are magnificent)

Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune

Kansas - Leftoverture