Miles Davis

damian 1200

kind of blue is the quintessential jazz album--if you don't like that, you won't like the genre. even the indie kids who know nothing at all about jazz probably include it on their list of favorite albums. other davis classics: birth of the cool, sketches of spain, bitches brew, a tribute to jack johnson, in a silent way, and on the corner. fuck the haters on the last one.

i'll hit this thread up more tomorrow.

Guest deleted_19765
Miles Davis Is excellent!

I'm a bit of a Jazz n00b.

Kind Of Blue & Miles Away are his works I've heard.

Discuss & Suggest more Jazz things!

Do you mean Miles Ahead? Great album.

Anyway, my favorites are Miles Ahead, Porgy & Bess, E.S.P., and Bitches Brew, with a lot of spectacular albums inbetween. Walkin' is an underrated record in which Miles and a big ensemble play their fucking asses off on some blues. Anyway, listing Miles albums is always a dire effort, there's spectacular material to be found in every era. Even Decoy from the '80s is a really cool album.

Guest deleted_19765
In addition to those already mentioned - Steamin' With the Miles Davis Quintet.

And Workin'!

:lol: Nothing has legs quite like a general Miles Davis topic!

Guest deleted_19765
Damn, I haven't heard that one. Not Relaxin' or Cookin' either.

To be honest, its the only one I have. "And" was probably misleading and I regret it.

At the very least, you need to find the version of "It Never Entered My Mind" from that record. Trust me, you will be dazzled.

I had a friend, hip hop head, didnt listen to jack shit else but just straight hip hop, heard me listenin to Bitches Brew? Borrowed it and was totally fuckin hooked, such is the power of M.D :lol: The motherfucker'd gimme a ride to work every morning and every morning he'd have it on in the car and its like the WORST fuckin thing to listen to first thing in the morning and im talking CONSTANTLY he did this...for fuckin months. Total headfuck, i'm one of those people that has to pump something lively every morning or i cant face the fuckin world.

Damn, I haven't heard that one. Not Relaxin' or Cookin' either.

To be honest, its the only one I have. "And" was probably misleading and I regret it.

At the very least, you need to find the version of "It Never Entered My Mind" from that record. Trust me, you will be dazzled.

Cool, I've been meaning to check those out for a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll have to check out the albums you guys mentioned. I don't know any jazz but it's been something I've wanted to check out. Well, actually I did listen to some Diana Krall and I hope she isn't really representative of what jazz is all about, because those songs were terribly dull.

Edited by KBear

I'll have to check out the albums you guys mentioned. I don't know any jazz but it's been something I've wanted to check out. Well, actually I did listen to some Diana Krall, and I hope she isn't really representative of what jazz is all about, because those songs were terribly dull.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

The Holy Trinity of Jazz.

I'll have to check out the albums you guys mentioned. I don't know any jazz but it's been something I've wanted to check out. Well, actually I did listen to some Diana Krall, and I hope she isn't really representative of what jazz is all about, because those songs were terribly dull.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

The Holy Trinity of Jazz.

The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is far and away the best of those 3 albums. It's the best jazz album I've ever heard.

Guest deleted_19765

I'd recommend some early 60s Blue Note records from Lee Morgan, Jimmy Smith, or Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, Miles Smiles or another record from Miles Davis' second quintet, and Thelonious Monk's Underground. Then you'd have some understanding of Jazz beyond the two or three titles that resonate with Rock fans for some reason, and have been recommended repeatedly in this thread.

while we're talking about blue note, madlib probably could have done a better job with the remixes of their archives in shades of blue. i mean, it's a sick album, no doubt, but it should have been dynamic à la the unseen or some of his other releases. and for monk, his debut is still my favorite.