New Forum feature: What is Facebook connect and how do I use it?

eRomano

WHAT IS FACEBOOK CONNECT?

Facebook connect is an exciting new board feature that allows current users to link their Facebook account with their forum account. New users can also do this uppon registration.

WHAT EFFECT DOES USING IT HAVE?

When you associate your account using Facebook connect, you are given the options to sync your profile picture, avatar, status and about me with your Facebook account. This is optionnal. You can select for all or only some of these options to be synchronised. This occurs once every 24 hours.

HOW DO I USE FACEBOOK CONNECT TO ASSOCIATE MY CURRENT ACCOUNT TO MY FACEBOOK ACCOUNT?

Step 1: Access your personal settings page.

Step 2: Click the profile tab

Step 3: Click Manage Facebook Connect.

Step 4: Click "connect with facebook". Note - this will install the Facebook connect application to your Facebook profile.

If you ever want to disassociate facebook with your forum account, simply use the "Disassociate account now" button on the Facebook Connect page.

DOES LOGGING INTO ONE MAKE ME LOGGED INTO THE OTHER?

Having your facebook login stored in your browser allows you to log into your forum account without entering your password. While this is no doubt convenient, it is worth noting as this represents a minor security risk for members.

CAN PEOPLE SEE MY FACEBOOK PAGE FROM DOING THIS?

No. This does not provide a link to your Facebook page - it only syncs the content back to your forum profile. People will not be able to see your Facebook page, only the data listed above will be made available on your forum profile. This maintains a degree of privacy when using the feature.

I HAVE TWO ACCOUNTS ON MYGNRFORUM. WILL THIS MATTER?

Firstly, it should be noted that we have a strict one account per member rule. However, in the interests of member's awareness of forum bugs, logging into a second forum account and attempting to use Facebook connect will result in the following error:

"Facebook Connect Mismatch

The Facebook account you are currently logged into is already linked to another forum account.

You will need to log out of Facebook before returning here if you want to configure these options."

This can be rectified by logging out of Facebook and re-logging into the forum. Again, we have a one account per member rule so this should not be an issue when following forum rules.

DOES MYGNRFORUM HAVE AN OFFICIAL FACEBOOK GROUP?

Yes, here. We are hoping to expand, moderate and manage this group as it grows in the future and we may use it for forum and GNR related announcements.

If you have any questions about Facebook Connect or MYGNRFORUM on Facebook, feel free to post them in this thread, or to contact highvoltage or admin with any questions or concerns.

***Special thanks to Highvoltage for helping me test out FaceBook Connect on the test Forum, and this post.

Will this work with TOR?

EDIT:

"

No. This does not provide a link to your Facebook page - it only syncs the content back to your forum profile. People will not be able to see

your Facebook page, only the data listed above will be made available on your forum profile. This maintains a degree of privacy when using the feature.

"

also what specific content is synced?

Edited by kevin

This has already been answered in the opening post!

When you associate your account using Facebook connect, you are given the options to sync your profile picture, avatar, status and about me with your Facebook account. This is optionnal. You can select for all or only some of these options to be synchronised. This occurs once every 24 hours.

As for TOR, it has not been tested yet.

Thanks eric, I'll give TOR a go and post how it works ...

It worked fine. Great!

----

Any plans to sync with Twitter?

As a temp measure, I am sure synching twitter with facebook would sync it with IPB forums.

Edited by kevin