Paradise Titty

I know who's playing my bachelor party next time I get married ...

paradise-titty.jpg

All Guns N' Roses, all female, all the time. That might be how you get to know Paradise Titty. But along with a devotion to GN'R, the band of veteran performers has quickly built a loyal following around Austin, Texas, through solid musicianship and high-energy live shows. Before the hometown favorites welcome SXSW attendees to their jungle, members Lori Glidden (drums), Deb Norris (bass), Emily Marks (lead guitar), Beth Puorro (rhythm guitar) and Kitty Shearer (vocals) shared their SXSW hopes, dreams and memories with Spinner.

Describe your sound in your own words.

Guns N' Roses.

How did Paradise Titty form?

Drummer Lori Glidden got sick of playing in indie bands for 25 dollars and two free lone stars and to seven people. She said if she were to ever play music again, she would give up her old thoughts about cover bands and ride someone else's coat tails for a change. This combined with her favorite band in junior high, Guns n' Roses, she came up with the idea to form an all-girls GNR tribute band. Lori's friend Beth Puorro (izzy) loved the idea, and soon Lady Slash and Deb were on board as well. We went through a series of tryouts for the perfect front woman, because not just anyone can pull off Axl's vocals. She had to be spot on: The looks, the vibe, the pipes, and of course someone we as four friends could get along with as well. Who wants to hang out with a woman who acts like Axl? So after many months learning and hammering out the licks from the talented original GN'R band, many whiskies, late nights, and BB gun shootings, here we are. Let's rock!

Who are your musical influences?

We all come from different backgrounds. Our individual influences range from Aerosmith, Johnny Cash, Whitesnake, X, The Replacements, Pixies, Radiohead, PJ Harvey, Patti Smith, but of course none of this really shows up in this particular band.

How did you come up with your band name?

We were drunk and it was hilarious.

What's your biggest vice?

Whiskey and cupcakes.

What's in your SXSW survival kit?

Whiskey and cupcakes. Back up battery for our cell phone.

What are your hopes and dreams for your SXSW appearance this year?

To get into the Spin party and see Hole.

Why should SXSW attendees come to your showcase?

Because we're the only band in the whole damn festival who doesn't care about getting a record deal. And we kick ass.

What's it like being an Austin band, preparing to play SXSW?

We are just glad we don't have to pay for hotels.

What are your memories of past SXSW festivals, either as a band or a fan?

-- Lori:I just left a show at Emos and was super drunk and, at the most, 27 years old. I yelled at a guy for not giving me a hotdog. He was drunk and fell over in the back of the hotdog wagon. I was hungry.

-- Emily: I saw Metallica.

-- Deb: I saw PJ Harvey.

-- Kitty: I came to SXSW on my honeymoon, but we were broke so our friends bought us badges and Flogging Molly was the best fuckin' show ever. Needless to say, SXSW carries on, but the marriage didn't.

How's the local support for your band?

Let's just say we're not playing to seven people anymore.

What are you doing when you're not making music?

What? We never stop making music. We are taking a Method acting approach to this band. We are all living off strippers so we can practice eight hours a day in a sweaty storage space, while we drink Night Train and shoot guns.

What's your dream venue? Where would you most like to perform?

Madison Square Garden, Saturday Night Live, Letterman, The View.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paradise-T/152730254625

www.myspace.com/paradisetitty