The General... what do we know about this song?

ManetsBR

-Brain came up with the original idea for the song (that's from Brain himself)

-Marco Beltrami did orchestration for it (from Marco's website)

-Bach says it's "by far the heaviest metal tune I've ever heard Axl do, it's this slow grinding riff with these high piercing vocals"

-The General is heavy

-The General is like Estranged

And...

-The General was heard already (some parts)<

So... do you guys think it's Checkmate or any jam/solo played alive?

I'm not a qualified therapist. I don't know a lot of shit about this, but I do know we're not in the 90's.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people keep making topics about this song, i would love to hear it too but i think we should be happy with chinese democracy for now, until the band stops touring for this album we shouldnt be asking about this

If this album wasn't finished (It is.) you may have a point. Also, keep in mind that last year Axl insinuated that he wanted it to come out the same time next year. Fans chomping at the bit and buzzing about this should not be met with resentment and hostility. This band is lucky they have fans who are dying to hear what else is 'in the can' from the CD era.

I say release it already, make the fans incredibly happy, and then move on making new music with the current lineup. Why is that so unreasonable, just becuase they're still touring CD?

Edited by sofine11

The 16 second leak deemed "Checkmate" was a song written by Brain, and he plays on it.

Leads me to believe Checkmate leak is The General.

checkmate is from '99 ... when did Brain join the band?

2000, when Freese's contract was up.

I remember reading a long time ago that an Axl´s song (can´t remember if it was the general) had a woman opera singer chorus in it ...

I remember that too. The rumor was that Sarah Brightman (the original Christine in Phantom of The Opera) was to sing witn Axl, possibly on The General. No idea if there is any truth to that, if any.

The 16 second leak deemed "Checkmate" was a song written by Brain, and he plays on it.

So Checkmate is not The General

How do we know that leak is from 1999?

Whatever, I asked Brain myself via email a long time ago, said it was him on the track.

So Checkmate is not The General

How do we know that leak is from 1999?

Whatever, I asked Brain myself via email a long time ago, said it was him on the track.

Dude, Brian told me he was going to tour with GNR in 2009/10...

It'd be nice to get a new album this year. Would be a nice good will gesture towards the hardcore fan base. Plus, we're kind of dying for something new to talk about around here.

That happens at the end of every leg of the tour. It will pick back up when the Europe leg starts.

I remember reading a long time ago that an Axl´s song (can´t remember if it was the general) had a woman opera singer chorus in it ...

I remember that too. The rumor was that Sarah Brightman (the original Christine in Phantom of The Opera) was to sing witn Axl, possibly on The General. No idea if there is any truth to that, if any.

It would be so cool ... something like Freddy Mercury and Montserrat Caballe in Barcelona

I would only be happy with leaks if by close to the end of next year we have heard nothing concerning a new album and even then I wouldn't be too happy about it. The fact that there were only three songs on Chinese Democracy that I hadn't heard before really took some of the wind out of the sails for me. Plus it clearly causes huge internetal problems with the band and management which stunts any progress that can be made.

I would only be happy with leaks if by close to the end of next year we have heard nothing concerning a new album and even then I wouldn't be too happy about it. The fact that there were only three songs on Chinese Democracy that I hadn't heard before really took some of the wind out of the sails for me. Plus it clearly causes huge internetal problems with the band and management which stunts any progress that can be made.

That's one way to look at it - leaks cause problems for the band.

Another way to look at it is - delaying your album for 14 years causes problems for the band.

Another way to look at it is - delaying your album for 14 years causes problems for the band.

Agreed. If the album was released in 2002 when it was allegedly finished then leaks wouldn't have been an issue.

Agreed. If the album was released in 2002 when it was allegedly finished then leaks wouldn't have been an issue.

Exactly... my bet is that if we don´t have info about new album in a year or year and a half then leaks will surface again... MSL said the portuguese leakers had about 20 songs

Edited by karlossacanell

No doubt, but leaks just chuck petrol on the fire.

Leaks always start surfacing in May/June... it's coming :P

But as the band is touring, and being a "normal" band, I don't think leaks will surface again that soon, only if they don't announce a new CD sooner.

That's the kicker. This album will most likely be hung over the fans heads for however long Axl feels like it, much like CD, but when it slowly starts to leak they'll act like it's the end of the world and use words like 'devastating' to describe the damage they do.

I was hoping they'd learn from what happned with CD leaking, and release this album accordingly. Now we're hearing rumblings of leaks surfacing in the near future. Oh well, you reap what you sow. :shrugs:

I doubt anything from a possible second album will leak. Bands with the funds have ways of encrypting the music to the point where pretty much only one person with the crazy skills can open them.

This is a new thing I understand. Think Coldplay are using this method for their 5th album.

I doubt anything from a possible second album will leak. Bands with the funds have ways of encrypting the music to the point where pretty much only one person with the crazy skills can open them.

This is a new thing I understand. Think Coldplay are using this method for their 5th album.

:lol:

if you can encrypt it, it can be decoded.

Besides, there are tracks floating around that are ten years old, which will probably be superior to the finished product anyway.

Buckethead > Bumblefoot

If something like that exists then no doubt Axl is all over that, can't blame him. Tough break MSL.