15 Years Ago Today ...

John Bonham

15 years ago today, Timothy McVeigh blew up the federal building in Oklahoma City, killing 168 people and wounding more than 680.

The following day, Axl was in court with ex-wife Erin Everly watching news coverage of the event which inspired him to write a song called "Oklahoma."

Rolling Stone magazine heard "Oklahoma" as an instrumental in 1999. Axl told RS about the song's inspiration in May 2000:

"I was sitting in my litigation with my ex-wife, and it was the day after the bombing. We had a break, and I'm sitting with my attorneys with a sort of smile on my face, more like a nervous thing - it was like, 'Forgive me, people, I'm having trouble taking this seriously.' It's just ironic that we're sitting there and this person is spewing all kinds of things and 168 people just got killed. And this person I'm sitting there with, she don't care. Obliterating me is their goal."

The song has also been referred to as "Berlin."

Is it possible that Axl is considering including this song on the soundtrack for Iron Man 3?

15 years ago today, Timothy McVeigh blew up the federal building in Oklahoma City, killing 168 people and wounding more than 680.

The following day, Axl was in court with ex-wife Erin Everly watching news coverage of the event which inspired him to write a song called "Oklahoma."

Rolling Stone magazine heard "Oklahoma" as an instrumental in 1999. Axl told RS about the song's inspiration in May 2000:

"I was sitting in my litigation with my ex-wife, and it was the day after the bombing. We had a break, and I'm sitting with my attorneys with a sort of smile on my face, more like a nervous thing - it was like, 'Forgive me, people, I'm having trouble taking this seriously.' It's just ironic that we're sitting there and this person is spewing all kinds of things and 168 people just got killed. And this person I'm sitting there with, she don't care. Obliterating me is their goal."

Is it possible that Axl is considering including this song on the soundtrack for Iron Man 3?

What? :lol:

What? :lol:

Putting it on Duke Nukem Forever when it actually comes out would be better suited, that game has had a development VERY similar to Chinese Democracy. Putting it on Iron Man or a huge super here blockbuster would do a world of good for Guns though in terms of exposure. Dammit i would love to know the what the lyrics are to Oklahoma.... Im guessing they will be fierce and mean, in a good way,

Edited by Young_Gun

Shackler's lyrics were inspired by the Virginia Tech shooter.

Axl mentioned Oklahoma in the chats.

Q: What's a Riad/Bedouin and can you clarify for the last time if the song is Oklahoma or not?

A: Another one step at a time question! It's not Oklahoma which later became Berlin and subject to change.

Edited by John Bonham

If I'm not mistaken, Madagascar used to be mistaken for Oklahoma, and vice-versa. I would like to hear the song, as any of us would, even if it was just the instrumental version.

I always thought that too.

I would love it if it was still called Oklahoma. It just sounds very "Guns n Roses" to me. And the song itself, I imagine fits with that title. This is probably another case of an initial perfect Axl inspiration being overworked and diluted to the point where it's not as good as what it was.