7 Strings guitar ( just received mine )

Just received my very first 7 string guitar.

It's an Epiphone Les Paul limited edition with EMG 707 & 81-7 pickups.

I have to say that I'm very surprised because it actually does not disappoint when compared to my Gibson Les Paul Axcess ( which means that, yes, Gibson makes great guitars but the price difference with Epiphone is...well, a little exagerrated ).

Anyway, here it is :

29924_395987541687_507896687_4662023_7284728_n.jpg

29924_395988071687_507896687_4662040_1263964_n.jpg

And here is how it sounds :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3P1DRQFKQ8

Does anyone know how to properly equalize a 7 string guitar when recording it ?

Because yes, it does sound agressive, but I'm sure that toying with compression and equalizers might make it sound even better.

The 'problem' with this guitar is that they just added a low B string and the construction wasn't adjusted enough, Which can give it an unbalanced tone and later on can lead to neck related problems (intonation etc.).

Makes it also a bit more difficult to dial in a balanced tone because it is spread out wider in the bottom, while the highs still are kind of the same. You can try adding more treble than you are used to while pumping the middle and lows but it won't be perfect. Adding a delay with all settings at zero, except the delay time on a few millisecs can help too, making it sound like it is doubled, delay not audible. That will open up the sound.

A baritone guitar would have been a better choice I think, listening to your clip, a 27" scale tuned to B or B flat, A possible too. The low string chords and single notes will sound much more defined and in your face while all strings are voiced for each other.

The Limited tag they put on all innovative or risky models, just in case it becomes a flop they can pull it without embarrasing themselves. Take the Gibson Les Paul Supreme for in stance, was Limited version but sold so well, it became standard production.

Tele looks ace.

Yes the neck is standard scale. The EMG's do the job well and I like the tone but other 7 strings have a sharper sound while this one "just sounds heavy".

It probably has to do with a combination of strat-like shapes, woods, and lengthier necks.

I picked this one because it was very cheap, was rare, looked great and because I like the idea of a 7 string Les Paul. Overall I don't regret my purchase.

Maybe I'm gonna toy with the TonePort a little more :thumbsup:

Anybody else playing 7 strings ?