Izzy Vs. Slash

Izzy_Stradlin_XX

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Izzy's songwriting was a massive factor in GnR's success.

But I think Slash's post-gnr work wipes the floor with Izz's.

Maybe Izz's songwiriting is a real bare bones style that needed Axl and Slash to elevate it.

I agree with this.

Most of his solo albums sound exactly the same. Every track, every album bar a few stand outs.

Great writer, but needed the other guys just as much as they needed him. He was the backbone but Axl, Slash, Duff and Adler added the flair and sound of GnR.

The backbone is harder to write then anything else because before there's a backbone, there's nothing. Izzy writes from scratch, by himself. That takes more talent.

It's not so black and white.

Neil Diamond wrote and released 'Red, red wine', it really didn't do well in the charts. UB40 come along and take that song, add their own sound and it becomes an international hit.

It takes talent to see the potential in something and take it to that next level.

I don't doubt Izzy's talent and the work he puts in or his importance to Guns n Roses...but since Guns...it's clear Izzy was the foundation of that band.

But nobody wants to live in a 'foundation structure', people want to live in a house, with a roof, windows, nice furnishing and running facilities. Those being the rest of the band. Without the rest of the band...Izzy is just potential.

His solo albums prove this in my mind.

Music is subjective though so, just my thoughts.

Maybe Izz's songwiriting is a real bare bones style that needed Axl and Slash to elevate it.

I agree with this.

Most of his solo albums sound exactly the same. Every track, every album bar a few stand outs.

Great writer, but needed the other guys just as much as they needed him. He was the backbone but Axl, Slash, Duff and Adler added the flair and sound of GnR.

The backbone is harder to write then anything else because before there's a backbone, there's nothing. Izzy writes from scratch, by himself. That takes more talent.

Neil Diamond wrote and released 'Red, red wine', it really didn't do well in the charts. UB40 come along and take that song, add their own sound and it becomes an international hit.

It takes talent to see the potential in something and take it to that next level.

I don't doubt Izzy's talent and the work he puts in or his importance to Guns n Roses...but since Guns...it's clear Izzy was the foundation of that band.

But nobody wants to live in a 'foundation structure', people want to live in a house, with a roof, windows, nice furnishing and running facilities. Those being the rest of the band. Without the rest of the band...Izzy is just potential.

Also, I feel Slash's solos are much better than Izzy's. He's got a knack for pulling them out of his sleeve.

Which is something I value personally in a guitarist...A guitarist's soloing capabilities say a lot to me about them as a guitarist, their feel, their style, their talent, etc.

Izzy is a great backbone/rhythm writer...But he's no lead guitarist, at least, not a good FULL TIME lead guitarist. His SONGS are good from a song perspective, but not if you enjoy great leads. On AFD, he's basically co-lead guitarist with Slash, but it works because he PLAYS OFF Slash, the whole lead there thing isn't resting on Izzy solely. Really, AFD is like an amped up Stones album in terms of the guitar dynamics. Four guitars by two guys, which is how Keith always envisioned the Stones.

I agree with this.

Which is something I value personally in a guitarist...A guitarist's soloing capabilities say a lot to me about them as a guitarist, their feel, their style, their talent, etc.

Izzy is a great backbone/rhythm writer...But he's no lead guitarist, at least, not a good FULL TIME lead guitarist. His SONGS are good from a song perspective, but not if you enjoy great leads. On AFD, he's basically co-lead guitarist with Slash, but it works because he PLAYS OFF Slash, the whole lead there thing isn't resting on Izzy solely. Really, AFD is like an amped up Stones album in terms of the guitar dynamics. Four guitars by two guys, which is how Keith always envisioned the Stones.

so when is that band you are starting, getting off the ground Miser?

Izzy writes way better songs, Slash plays way better guitar, but together those guys are one mean force to be reckoned with

Perfectly put.

Izzy needs a great lead guitarist, Slash needs a great rhythm guitarist. Makes me wish he had joined VR. I think out of all the rhythm guys that Slash has played with, Dave clicks the least with him. At least Gilby managed to get the first Snakepit record (which I love) out of him.