Izzy Vs. Slash

Izzy_Stradlin_XX

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Izzy's songwriting was a massive factor in GnR's success.

But I think Slash's post-gnr work wipes the floor with Izz's.

Maybe Izz's songwiriting is a real bare bones style that needed Axl and Slash to elevate it.

I agree with this.

Most of his solo albums sound exactly the same. Every track, every album bar a few stand outs.

Great writer, but needed the other guys just as much as they needed him. He was the backbone but Axl, Slash, Duff and Adler added the flair and sound of GnR.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Izzy. Slash contributed an amazingly soulful and distinct guitar sound with some of the greatest riffs and solos ever, but Izzy was the songwriting heart of the band. Without him, they were fucked when they finished the UYI tour and attempted to start coming up with new material.

I think Izzy's songwriting was a massive factor in GnR's success.

But I think Slash's post-gnr work wipes the floor with Izz's.

Maybe Izz's songwiriting is a real bare bones style that needed Axl and Slash to elevate it.

I agree with this.

Most of his solo albums sound exactly the same. Every track, every album bar a few stand outs.

Great writer, but needed the other guys just as much as they needed him. He was the backbone but Axl, Slash, Duff and Adler added the flair and sound of GnR.

The backbone is harder to write then anything else because before there's a backbone, there's nothing. Izzy writes from scratch, by himself. That takes more talent.

Edited by Nintari

Guest Len B'stard

Peas and carrots really.

You want a good songwriter, excellent rhythm guitarist who can play also play good solos and licks and sing too? Well Izzy's your man.

You want a guy who's gonna come up with awesome riffs, solos, licks and can help build upon a song to take it to the next level? Well then Slash is your man.

Both are great, and Ghost proves the two of them still have what it takes when it comes to playing together and playing off each other.

Word perfect :) They're essential elements of GnR, this is what people seem to lack in their understanding of GnR, there was such a delicate chemistry there that made them what they are, Slash was like Metal/Blues, Duff was punk, Izzy was out and out rock n roll, Steven was like your loose kinda sloppy but perfect feel drummer and Axl was just there perfect balance of all the elements, if a little less of the punk.

THOSE elements all combined are GnR to me, without a single one of them, the band ain't the definitive article. I really love that fuckin band, they were amazing, everything about them. Notice you don't get You Ain't the First, Used to Love her, Dust n Bones type songs without Izzy and it was an essential part of their thing, a large part of the Americana of it. Without Slash you don't get the same bluesy edge, or metal heavyiness (which i cared for the least anyway, the metal bit i mean).

But most importantly of all i think, if you take early Guns n Roses songs, original Guns n Roses song...and you strip away the metal element, what you have is really really REALLY good rock n roll songs, Stonesy rock n roll songs, proper decent rock n roll songs and i think a LOT of that had to do with Izzy and without him an immense amount of the life was sucked out of Guns n Roses. I don't think it's possible to overstate Izzys importance to that band, what you basically got with Illusions was a lack of proper balance in terms of the different elements that made up the band, Illusions really sounds, in terms of the sound of the album, like the Slash and Axl show and even with being the Slash and Axl show that don't make em bad albums, they were great but they weren't as good as they could've been imo.

This is what bands never get and i don't know why, at that moment when you realise or feel or understand that you've got something, it's ALL of you that's got something and your job then basically, to my mind, isn't so much making albums or performing music as much as it is to preserve that fucking balance and do what you can to take it forward cuz every single one of these big brilliant bands that have that balance just go "well, the songs just came man, they just came to us".