"Appetite for Destruction" retrospective

Estranged Reality

Did Axl really just write the lyrics?

And are these just educated guesses of the credits or have they been released at some point?

There's an old website.. gnrsongs.com? It did extensive reporting on the songwriting background for all of the original band's albums. We're talking hundreds of interviews. GnR's wikipedia entry used a great deal of that information. Musically, Axl only contributed percussion to Jungle, and the synthesizer/whistle on Paradise City. He also wrote the lyrics for everything except Mr. Brownstone, It's So Easy, and Think About You..

Duff's main contributions were Paradise City (he wrote the chord progression), Rocket Queen (co-written with Slash, before they joined Guns), the lyrics to It's So Easy (with West Arkeen), and he added elements to Nightrain (Slash and Izzy put together the main idea)..

The only songs Slash had nothing to do with were Anything Goes, and Think About You..

-Kickingthehabit

Did Axl really just write the lyrics?

And are these just educated guesses of the credits or have they been released at some point?

There's an old website.. gnrsongs.com? It did extensive reporting on the songwriting background for all of the original band's albums. We're talking hundreds of interviews. GnR's wikipedia entry used a great deal of that information. Musically, Axl only contributed percussion to Jungle, and the synthesizer/whistle on Paradise City. He also wrote the lyrics for everything except Mr. Brownstone, It's So Easy, and Think About You..

Duff's main contributions were Paradise City (he wrote the chord progression), Rocket Queen (co-written with Slash, before they joined Guns), the lyrics to It's So Easy (with West Arkeen), and he added elements to Nightrain (Slash and Izzy put together the main idea)..

The only songs Slash had nothing to do with were Anything Goes, and Think About You..

-Kickingthehabit

Hmm, I could have sworn I have read that Axl had more to do with Rocket Queen. In Reckless Road I think he is quoted presenting that song as his own the first time they played it.