"Appetite for Destruction" retrospective

Estranged Reality

Great read man.

Most people around here would probably say its overrated, but I don't think most Guns fans realize how underrated Appetite is in the grand scheme of things. You really don't have to have grown up in the mid 80's to appreciate how genuine and real that album is, it does such a great job of tapping into those feelings. People are gunna talk about this one for a long time

great article.

I did at one time think it was untouchable, the greatest thing ever. I'm surprised that now I don't think that so much. but it still is for me the most important record in my life. Just ahead of When Will I Be Famous by Bros.

great article.

I did at one time think it was untouchable, the greatest thing ever. I'm surprised that now I don't think that so much. but it still is for me the most important record in my life. Just ahead of When Will I Be Famous by Bros.

You are Joking??

Great article but I never EVER thought that Think About You was a weak song compared to the others.

Same. If i had to pick two it'd be anything goes and Your Crazy (the lies one is much better)

But overall id only say anything goes as the weak link.

Guest siliconmessiah

Amazing album, pure magic.

But i might have overdone listening to it when i was 16-20 years old, ten years ago. I am actually a little "tired" of it.

Still, fantastic album.

Great article but I never EVER thought that Think About You was a weak song compared to the others.

Same. If i had to pick two it'd be anything goes and Your Crazy (the lies one is much better)

But overall id only say anything goes as the weak link.

Exactly. By my standards, Think About You is in level with Mr.Brownstone and Out Ta Get Me. But nevertheless, great review.

Guest siliconmessiah

Amazing album, pure magic.

But i might have overdone listening to it when i was 16-20 years old, ten years ago. I am actually a little "tired" of it.

Still, fantastic album.

Yeah dude I must have listen to AFD 1000000000 times. I listen to it last week after about 2 years and it sounded quite fresh.

ok

Edited by siliconmessiah

Yeah, this is what I like about it too. You've really captured what I like about Axl (the earnestness and desperation of his singing) and that's where I wish he'd be rock n' roll. Not by not giving us more music cause it's somehow rock n' roll not to give rock fans music when they want it :P

Anyway, great read!

I agree Think About You is a fantastic song. I really love the acoustic guitars in the chorus and the last 30 seconds where it goes from fast paced rock to a slow ballady part that sets up SCOM perfectly.

Enjoyable read, but there was far too much of an Axl focus. Had this been an article on Chinese Democracy, I would have understood, but Appetite was a deeply collaborative effort. In that respect, Slash deserves a lot more praise. He influenced a great deal of the songwriting on that album. Look up Axl's 2006 interview with Eddie Trunk. He talks about It's So Easy, in particular, and how it started out as a light folk ballad, until he and Slash transformed it into the rocker it became. Despite the McKagan/Arkeen credit, Slash took the music in a completely different direction..

Also, most of the music on Appetite was written by Slash and Izzy. Check out the credits: Slash wrote 9 of 12 songs, Izzy wrote 9 of 12 songs, and Axl wrote the lyrics to 9 of 12 songs..

-Kickingthehabit

Enjoyable read, but there was far too much of an Axl focus. Had this been an article on Chinese Democracy, I would have understood, but Appetite was a deeply collaborative effort. In that respect, Slash deserves a lot more praise. He influenced a great deal of the songwriting on that album. Look up Axl's 2006 interview with Eddie Trunk. He talks about It's So Easy, in particular, and how it started out as a light folk ballad, until he and Slash transformed it into the rocker it became. Despite the McKagan/Arkeen credit, Slash took the music in a completely different direction..

Also, most of the music on Appetite was written by Slash and Izzy. Check out the credits: Slash wrote 9 of 12 songs, Izzy wrote 9 of 12 songs, and Axl wrote the lyrics to 9 of 12 songs..

-Kickingthehabit

Did Axl really just write the lyrics?

And are these just educated guesses of the credits or have they been released at some point?

-Kickingthehabit

Did Axl really just write the lyrics?

And are these just educated guesses of the credits or have they been released at some point?

Nice article!

I really like this part and I think it sems things up nicely...

That’s what made this band so great, after all: its chemistry. Each member contributed something integral and unique to the recording process, and that one-in-a-million combination resulted in a masterpiece. When the lineup became fragmented, and when the egos began to run out of control, the balance was upset and that all began to change. But for a moment in time, Guns N’ Roses was that rarity: a near-perfect union of musicians whose talents created a near-perfect work of art.

Its hard to say for sure who wrote this part of that part? For example Slash wrote the intro to SCOM but was ready to bin it before Izzy and Axl intervened. Also the lyrics to Night Train were written by the whole band as they walked down the street (according to slash's book) with the band literally taking it in turns to try and out do each other with new and improved lines as they walked.

But untilmately for me it was the synergenistic combination of all involved that set this record apart, and once you understand that talk of relative contrabutions seems kinds redundant?