Axl Rose and Jean Sibelius

Guest siliconmessiah

Guest siliconmessiah

Jean Sibelius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Sibelius) was a big symphonic writer from Finland, well known for his part "Finlandia", wich Robin Finck played during 2006 at many occasions.

The life of Sibelius does in many, almost scary ways resemble the life of Axl Rose.

Jean Sibelius musical career started off like a rocket and he reached world fame in just a couple of years.

The success led to Jean Sibelius to start doubting his new work over the years. So during 1929-1959 most of the releases by Jean Sibelius was re-worked material from the earlier years and it kept on like this, just like Axl Rose keeps on touring AFD and sparse plays/releases new material.

And as Jean Sibelius grew older, he was afraid of people doubting him, and himself started to doubt his own new material, wich some of the younger symphonics of this time did, who just saw him as a romantic-has-been. But his old work had just reached the US and England and got hailed there, but got overshadowed by the feelings of his own doubt.

Going through a pretty varied music-career, Jean Sibelius re-worked and postponed his 8:th symphony for many, many, many years. The release of it got cancelled many times by himself.

It was almost ready, and he sent the 8:th symphony to his co-worker for additional working.

When Jean Sibelius got it back, he kept on re-working it....but finally decided to burn it all. He was afraid to not reach up to the anticipation from the people...it must have been hard.

I think that this is an interesting story.

Edited by siliconmessiah

very cool story, subtle hint from robin wonder if Axl figured out the reference, cheers!

I wonder if Robin actually knew the back-story, or if he just chose that piece for his solo for other reasons. If he really did know the history of Sibelius, and was making a subtle hint to Axl, that would be incredibly deep and impressive. Great find and thoughts, siliconmessiah! Hopefully Axl doesn't burn anything.

Edited by evader

Aha.

well apparently you mist Axl's answers, and they've been a few, to why it took so long for the release of Chinese Democracy.

one of the answers is here, on this forum, labeled something like Axl chats with forum members or something, ask some MD to help you out. another was on Bilboard interview. and another was on the radio with Eddie Trunck.

but, yeah, it is all on Axl, as it has been from the day one of the formation of GNR, hasn't it?

He's the one that got AFD out there.

He's the that made UYI into 2 huge (in numbers of songs, because the success wasn't his, was it?) albums,

and he was the one that take all that time since AFD to put out UYIs.

He's the one that couldn't get his shit together on playing drums, so he had to be replaced.

He's the one that quit the band in full world tour in 1991.

He's the one that OD-ed and almost died during the same world tour.

He's the one that was constantly drunk and on drugs in the same world tour.

He's the one that by his tardiness made he's band mates get into drugs and alcohol in the first place, wasn't he?

He's the one that made his own group and had a world tour on his own.

He's the one that after ending his world tour quit the band.

He's the one that got his pancreas to explode and after recovery quit the band.

He's the one that kept together the band, because he identified the most with it,

and that's why he kept the name for him self.

He's the one that had to go looking for replacements.

He's the one that needed around 3 years to rebuild the band after the last of the classic line up went away,

and to record new songs.

He's the one that afterwards was so afraid of what the people will thing of his efforts that he showed up

with the new band at the most biggest concert to-date in the bands history.

He's the one that, also, full of in-confidence get to play with the new band at some of the biggest televised show in the US and the world.

He's the one, that yes, drove the plane to the first show of the first concert of then north american tour, and was late for it.

yes, he should have been there with 2 days in advance, and you'd think he'd learned by the 3 world tour since then, but no, he stopped a little to punch some reported, before the flight to the first show for the new world tour.

He's the one, that came in as a producer and asked to re/re/record the whole material (which apparently is way more than 14 songs).

He's the one that kept on spending money because he likes too.

He's the one that left the band to return.

He's the one that got sick and cause a whole tour to be canceled.

He's the one that after recovery quit the band and went on raising chickens.

He's the one that demanded, after that all re/re/recording process (which would make anyone doubt of his/theirs past efforts)

an album or he'll put out a compilation of previous songs,

because he wanted so much the money!

He's the one that had to look for another player to replace the chicken raiser.

He's the one that decided after a successful world tour to release the album, after more than a year since the tour ended,

with no music videos for it, because, he, who also directed in the past the music videos for the band, decided that it's an worthy for an artist to compromise he's music with music videos.

He's the one that quit the band after the release of the album that the whole world was looking for (even though the world was advice some 9 years earlier in an interview not to wait, but what can you do? the world is still the world)

He's the one that as manager quit the band before a world tour.

He's the one that manage all the last tour.

He's the one in charge with the food and clothes that the rest of the band eat an wear whilst on tour, and also he's in charge with the towels, you knew that!?

He's the one directing all the live recording of the shows and he's the one that holds them and not release them in a DVD to grab peoples money!

He's the one that made up this whole scheme of how to make money after the fans making them wait for tens of years thus they rush into it and buy the new album (it didn't work, go figure?!)

and then kept on teasing them with new material for years to come from the release of the last album, again (not learning anything from the last one) trying to make them starve for new music, so that they'll buy it as crazy.

He's the one in charge with the official site, and he likes it that way, to be blank for the fans, because it's from the same scheme of making money out of them, because that way they'll all head to fans' forums and will be brain washed into it!

So, yeap, he's like the other dude, just that he's in for the money, isn't he?

Get the fact out of here!

Dude you have a serious problem, you love n' hate in the same time a man you don't even come close in understanding.

that's tough.

hang in there! :thumbsup:

Edited by STARABOSTES

Guest siliconmessiah

Wall of text.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Judging by the intensity of your post, I think you´d be might want to contact a health center nearby.

Have a good day and I wish you all the best Starabostes.

On topic now:

Yes, it´s pretty interesting if this was a subtle move from Robin, and judging by Robins ways, he´s pretty spiritual and intelligent, I think it might have been a reason for him to play this song then and there.

Looking further into Jean Sibelius´s career seems more and more liknesses with Axl´s. It was nothing dead serious, I just thought it was fun and interesting to throw it out there. =)

Edited by siliconmessiah

Wall of text.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Judging by the intensity of your post, I think you´d be might want to contact a health center nearby.

Have a good day and I wish you all the best Starabostes.

On topic now:

Yes, it´s pretty interesting if this was a subtle move from Robin, and judging by Robins ways, he´s pretty spiritual and intelligent, I think it might have been a reason for him to play this song then and there.

Looking further into Jean Sibelius´s career seems more and more liknesses with Axl´s. It was nothing dead serious, I just thought it was fun and interesting to throw it out there. =)

I know you have no idea, because, well :shrugs: that's your capacity.

I would contact one but I'm already in.

Thank you for your kind wish.

Have a good day as well and I wish you also all the best.

I was on topic. but then again, one should be subtle like Finck to get it.

Edited by STARABOSTES

Jean Sibelius's story differs from that of Axl's, apart from the obvious, in that there never really is any Slash/old band vs new band/legacy/etc. fight with him. He was always alone with himself only, fighting his own demons. He was high society and there have been whispers of him joining with others from the same social elite class in ritual magic..

.. A rumor not to be taken too seriously, since Jean Sibelius was always drawn to be on his own in solitude and wander around finnish nature, of which most of his music is said to be about. He was an actual recluse where Axl always has his 'family' around ..

There are great big splotches of this country that haven't really changed at all from his times, just the rough cut beauty of wild nature left to its own devices and people are free to experience it. If you have the time to go backpacking in the finnish wild, it comes with the highest recommendations. :)

very cool story, subtle hint from robin wonder if Axl figured out the reference, cheers!

I wonder if Robin actually knew the back-story, or if he just chose that piece for his solo for other reasons. If he really did know the history of Sibelius, and was making a subtle hint to Axl, that would be incredibly deep and impressive. Great find and thoughts, siliconmessiah! Hopefully Axl doesn't burn anything.

Interesting comparison, there are similarities but also big differences.

I like classical music. Exist something with this type of music,

certainly by the piano.

You left me curious to read this immense text and hear this composer, I can not

remember if I ever heard.

Finland is known as the country of a thousand lakes, very beautiful.

But it was a good read.

Edited by Hatchepsut