Duffs new book

Tonyp44

Here are some nuggets from Marc Canter from the GNFNR forum in a thread titled "How Axl got the GnR name" related to Duffs claim he and Slash were coerced into signing the contracts..........

regarding Duff's claim in his book:

Also maybe it could have been better written. Maybe saying something like if Slash or Duff were to pass away that the remaining members should have control. That way they wouldn't have to deal with the wife's. That is why Duff probably said it was the lawyers. Lawyers always make things better for their own clients and due more than what was asked to. Also if you have ever tried to read one of those contracts, you will find that you almost have to be a lawyer to understand what it really says. Duff and Slash should have told Duog that we will have our lawyers take a look at it and will get back to you soon. Also Axl did not know how Doug presented those papers to Slash and Duff. That is why Axl tells a different story about this subject. I'm not even sure if Axl was aware of what all the fine print might have said in that contract. I know Axl would have been fine with Slash and Duff letting their lawyers take a look at it first. I also believe that Slash and Duff felt that if they didn't sign that their could be problems with Axl taking the stage. One thing I do know for sure, about two years ago I spoke to Doug on the phone and when I had told him that Ola Slash's mother passed away he cried and than told me to tell Slash that he was sorry for the way he handled some things back then.

Regarding who is telling the truth:

I know both parties better than anyone else in the world and I'm telling you I believe all the parities are telling you the truth. I wish that it would have worked out better for everyone but the fact is by Slash and Duff signing that contract, all it did was help break up what was left of the Appetite line up and it also made it a lot harder for Axl to get new music out. Thats the short version. If they didn't sign it, they would have had to somehow work out their differences or break up. If they had to break up Axl still would have ended up with Robin and or Bucket and the other guys in 1997/98 and would have bean able to get out the new music much easer under a different name. By now there would be a least 5 times more music out from Axl. Also there would have been a much better chance of some type of reunion some day. Now there is almost no chance of that because there is already a band named Guns N' Roses out there. And Axl does have control of it and Slash would never work with Axl again unless they were both on the same level. Also Axl hates slash so much, so why would he work with him id he doesn't have to. It's just a big mess.

His thought on how signing over the name impacted Axl releasing music and how the record company may have delayed things and made life difficult for Axl:

The record Co. wanted a reunion so they could sell more records. So they did everything they could to try and make that happen. Slowing up the the new Guns record hoping somehow they would get Slash back. Also not really promoting the Snakepit stuff. This was the same thing that happen with Aerosmith and The Joe Perry project, nothing was promoted well in hopes that Aerosmith would get back together with the old lineup. The record co is only in it for the money. The only way slash could have got Snakepit promoted better would be if he was with a different record co. and they would have to know that there was no way to get their hands on GNR. But even if Axl had somehow chanced records companies, the new one would have done the same thing. They would always want to go with what once worked instead of try something new.

Thank you for getting this all together Classicrawker. Do you have a opinion about this? And would you share it.

Edited by sleeper

Here are some nuggets from Marc Canter from the GNFNR forum in a thread titled "How Axl got the GnR name" related to Duffs claim he and Slash were coerced into signing the contracts..........

regarding Duff's claim in his book:

Also maybe it could have been better written. Maybe saying something like if Slash or Duff were to pass away that the remaining members should have control. That way they wouldn't have to deal with the wife's. That is why Duff probably said it was the lawyers. Lawyers always make things better for their own clients and due more than what was asked to. Also if you have ever tried to read one of those contracts, you will find that you almost have to be a lawyer to understand what it really says. Duff and Slash should have told Duog that we will have our lawyers take a look at it and will get back to you soon. Also Axl did not know how Doug presented those papers to Slash and Duff. That is why Axl tells a different story about this subject. I'm not even sure if Axl was aware of what all the fine print might have said in that contract. I know Axl would have been fine with Slash and Duff letting their lawyers take a look at it first. I also believe that Slash and Duff felt that if they didn't sign that their could be problems with Axl taking the stage. One thing I do know for sure, about two years ago I spoke to Doug on the phone and when I had told him that Ola Slash's mother passed away he cried and than told me to tell Slash that he was sorry for the way he handled some things back then.

Regarding who is telling the truth:

I know both parties better than anyone else in the world and I'm telling you I believe all the parities are telling you the truth. I wish that it would have worked out better for everyone but the fact is by Slash and Duff signing that contract, all it did was help break up what was left of the Appetite line up and it also made it a lot harder for Axl to get new music out. Thats the short version. If they didn't sign it, they would have had to somehow work out their differences or break up. If they had to break up Axl still would have ended up with Robin and or Bucket and the other guys in 1997/98 and would have bean able to get out the new music much easer under a different name. By now there would be a least 5 times more music out from Axl. Also there would have been a much better chance of some type of reunion some day. Now there is almost no chance of that because there is already a band named Guns N' Roses out there. And Axl does have control of it and Slash would never work with Axl again unless they were both on the same level. Also Axl hates slash so much, so why would he work with him id he doesn't have to. It's just a big mess.

His thought on how signing over the name impacted Axl releasing music and how the record company may have delayed things and made life difficult for Axl:

The record Co. wanted a reunion so they could sell more records. So they did everything they could to try and make that happen. Slowing up the the new Guns record hoping somehow they would get Slash back. Also not really promoting the Snakepit stuff. This was the same thing that happen with Aerosmith and The Joe Perry project, nothing was promoted well in hopes that Aerosmith would get back together with the old lineup. The record co is only in it for the money. The only way slash could have got Snakepit promoted better would be if he was with a different record co. and they would have to know that there was no way to get their hands on GNR. But even if Axl had somehow chanced records companies, the new one would have done the same thing. They would always want to go with what once worked instead of try something new.

Thank you for getting this all together Classicrawker. Do you have a opinion about this? And would you share it.

It is always great when Marc takes the time to post and I think he makes some great points and he knows the history and these guys so well but I find some of his conclusions hard to accept.

I find it hard to believe that management would push a contract on Duff and Slash and imply that Axl will not take the stage if they don't sign without his knowledge. Does anyone beleive Axl did not know what the deal was before it happened?

Considering the label poured $14 million into ChiDem and tried everything they could to get him to finish does it make sense that they were stalling for a reunion?

Also according to Slash the label supported Snakepit until they had turned a profit and then pulled the plug on the tour in hopes the next GnR album would get recorded so again it does not add up based on what we know..

But to give Marc the benefit of the doubt he does say he knows a lot more of what went on behind the scenes but only gives us a taste...I appreciate the conflict he must have wanting to tell us what actually happened yet having to keep certain confidences as to not jeopardise his friendships. But until he gives us more details I don't see evidence which changes my opinion based on what we know....

But I did find it interesting that Axl was considering having Slash play on 3 of the ChiDem songs if he apologized to Axl for what Axl considered to be lies about him in Slash's book. Marc mentioned in an old post that there were inaccuracies in Slash's book about Axl that pissed Axl off and that he advised Slash to publicly fix them but Slash refused..wish he could be more specific about that as it has casued nothing but drama on the forums.

And sadly I agree with him about the chances of a reunion. He knows these guys better then anyone and if he says he does not see them reconciling I believe him........

I could not agree more with your comments. JMO Doug Goldstein would have been a fool to try and pull something off behind Axl's back. I remember a statement that Slash made I'm paraphrasing (Doug forgot that he worked for all of us and Axl became his boss). As far as Marc I know he has heard and seen things that we have not. But Marc was not with the band through all of this.

As far as the revelation about Axl wanting Slash for 3 songs on CD I am speechless lol! I cannot imagine this happening! There is no way Slash will ever apoligize to Axl. Slash thinks he is right and the more that is put into print by other people is proving him right. As far as a reunion I'm not disapointed that there is no possibility. Slash is a very happy man his career and his family are doing well and that is what makes him happy now. Can you imagine what he would be like now if he was still putting up with Axl's drama? JMO He would also be putting up with it alone because I fell Duff would have left anyway sooner or later so he would be able to try and maintain his sober life style.

I just met Duff at the book signing in Santa Monica. Very cool day! He was really nice and took photos with everyone and seemed like he had a great time answering people's questions. He talked about drug addiction, memorable moments in his life, playing with GNR in 2010, the Seattle Weekly columns, etc. Definately see him if you get the chance he is really down to earth and just a cool guy in general, and I can't wait to read the book!

Agreed, he was extremely nice, and was genuinely happy to meet his fans. This is one of the few photos I took when he was signing in New Jersey last week.