Izzy Stradlin on Illusions

ronaldoortiz1958

Hello gnr fans! i have a question... i know that izzy stradlin was in the band when they recorded the illusions albums, he recorded his parts dont show much for the final overdubs and mix sessions and slash recorded a lot of loud guitar that made izzy's sound inaudible in some tracks...but when i listen to the albums with headphones i can hear the izzy's parts on left channel, because his rhythms are scratchy and have a unique sound that is different from slash...i can listen this more on some tracks like dust n bones, perfect crime bad obssesion, pretty tied up, you could be mine... I know that in the original booklet is the info about who played what in each song...

Now my question is: can you guys hear the izzy sound on ALL the tracks?? tracks like yesterdays or don't cry for example i cant hear it very well... i know too that he didnt play in songs like locomotive or coma, civil war...

PS.: i searched in this forum and found a topic that have a question like this but i didnt found the answer that i want...

Sorry my bad english...and congratulations for this awesome forum.. i think this is the best on net!

Hello gnr fans! i have a question... i know that izzy stradlin was in the band when they recorded the illusions albums, he recorded his parts dont show much for the final overdubs and mix sessions and slash recorded a lot of loud guitar that made izzy's sound inaudible in some tracks...but when i listen to the albums with headphones i can hear the izzy's parts on left channel, because his rhythms are scratchy and have a unique sound that is different from slash...i can listen this more on some tracks like dust n bones, perfect crime bad obssesion, pretty tied up, you could be mine... I know that in the original booklet is the info about who played what in each song...

Now my question is: can you guys hear the izzy sound on ALL the tracks?? tracks like yesterdays or don't cry for example i cant hear it very well... i know too that he didnt play in songs like locomotive or coma, civil war...

PS.: i searched in this forum and found a topic that have a question like this but i didnt found the answer that i want...

Sorry my bad english...and congratulations for this awesome forum.. i think this is the best on net!

Hi, you are right.

Long since I don't listen those songs...but I remember myself doing the same thing with the headphones and thinkin' Izzy's work is great and quite different from Slash's style. I gotta check what you say about the others songs...

Rock on.

Hi man! first of all thanks for your reply! i read the booklet of these CD's and there are the info about who play what on each song and seems to make sense since the izzy name dont appear on civil war or locomotive(he did not play)..but i would like to know if these info on booklet are 100% right....and to this i would like to hear opinions like yours... songs like dont cry for me have a clear guitar on left channel but a lot of overdubs that make it difficult to know about..

Hi, you are right.

Long since I don't listen those songs...but I remember myself doing the same thing with the headphones and thinkin' Izzy's work is great and quite different from Slash's style. I gotta check what you say about the others songs...

Rock on.

More opinions??none?? :(

I'm also curious about this. I can't remember exactly what I read, but I think it was to the effect that Izzy would turn in the songs he was working on (on tapes) but then he wouldn't really record, so maybe he just isn't on a lot of the songs although he had a big hand in actually writing said song. Someone verify?

Axl and Slash both had issue with Izzy's work ethic on the Illusions. Izzy had issue with Axl about several things and had issue with Slash wanting Izzy to play through marshals. I read that once from Izzy. There are probably a couple scenerios that could be possible during mixing. 1)Izzy parts were played poorly or did not fit with the rest of the tone or sound of the album and were put in quietly in the mix for creative purposes by the engineer, mixer, or producer 2)Axl and/or Slash lobbied to have Izzy's parts quite in the mix because they were mad at him 3)Axl and/or Slash could have lobbied to have his parts quiet in the mix because they thought he played poorly or the sound did not fit 4)some part of management could have done any of the above.

I will listen more closely next time I listen to them. I've often wondered what was what myself.

Slash talks a bit about the mixing in his book but I don't remember him talking about Izzy's part in the mixing process--other than he probably wasn't there at all if he said anything. Izzy was kinda burned out at that point and wanted to stay clean and was tired of what had become of GNR.

Yeah, i can hear his rhythm parts on some songs like perfect crime, bad obssession , dust n bones, pretty tied up... they are scratchy and more clean sound than slash distorted ones...i think his parts are in the album because of his trademark sound and the info on booklet...but this question always seems to blow my mind hehhe and because of this i want to hear more opinions if you have...Thanks one more time my friends

Yeah, i can hear his rhythm parts on some songs like perfect crime, bad obssession , dust n bones, pretty tied up... they are scratchy and more clean sound than slash distorted ones...i think his parts are in the album because of his trademark sound and the info on booklet...but this question always seems to blow my mind hehhe and because of this i want to hear more opinions if you have...Thanks one more time my friends

Slash's ego got in the way and Izzy wasn't around for mixing!

Guest BumbleBoob

Nice topic man.

I've always loved Izzy's playing but felt a lot of that boogie kinda shuffle thing he had going on AFD got a bit lost in on some of the UYI tunes. I just listened to 'Bad Apples' and he is definately very low in the mix. It is understandable that as the rythmn player he is not as predominant i guess, it helps him to lock into the bass and drums better. If you compare it to 'Anything Goes' though then there is a massive difference...

My guess also would be that as they were all off writing and doing whatever in after being on tour it became more of a set of different collaberative efforts rather than five guys in a room bouncing off of each other. So when they came to actually record Illusions then maybe it was like the demos had been used and changed and he didnt really get a chance to really carve out a significant part given the timeframe he gave himself through not going to chicago so he just 'banged out the chords' u know and because his parts weren't jumping out of the can then when it came to mixing he just got put under the bass....

Sounds a bit harsh to say in hindsight but hey...

That's Rock 'n' Fuckin' Roll :) and he gave us some great fuckin' tunes

Aha I just found this:

On the Illusion albums, Izzy Stradlin is credited with rhythm guitar while you're credited with lead and rhythm. How does that break down on any given track?

It's simple. Izzy, even on the songs he wrote, put on a very bare-bones guitar part -- just basic chords. And sometimes, very rarely, a single-note melody. He has one guitar solo on Illusion I -- at the beginning of "Back Off Bitch."

You also solo on "Back Off Bitch."

Yeah, I play the main solo. I used to play this high-end trill thing for the first solo, but I could never play it consistently. So I just took it off altogether and let Izzy put a lead on, which is really a lot cooler.

Here's the source, quite a cool interview from '92 that i will now read the rest of ;)

http://www.guitarworld.com/slash-talks-guitars-and-guns-n-roses-1992-guitar-world-interivew

Edited by BumbleBoob

Hello BumbleBoob! first of all thanks for reply my topic...i like to read what you think and what you discovered...very fine informations.

I think the same that you wrote...i am listening with headphones and izzy have a peculiar style...some tracks has it more proeminent than others...

i would like to question you if you can listen to izzy's parts on november rain, don't cry or estranged..did you??

sorry my bad english and thanks one more time

Nice topic man.

I've always loved Izzy's playing but felt a lot of that boogie kinda shuffle thing he had going on AFD got a bit lost in on some of the UYI tunes. I just listened to 'Bad Apples' and he is definately very low in the mix. It is understandable that as the rythmn player he is not as predominant i guess, it helps him to lock into the bass and drums better. If you compare it to 'Anything Goes' though then there is a massive difference...

My guess also would be that as they were all off writing and doing whatever in after being on tour it became more of a set of different collaberative efforts rather than five guys in a room bouncing off of each other. So when they came to actually record Illusions then maybe it was like the demos had been used and changed and he didnt really get a chance to really carve out a significant part given the timeframe he gave himself through not going to chicago so he just 'banged out the chords' u know and because his parts weren't jumping out of the can then when it came to mixing he just got put under the bass....

Sounds a bit harsh to say in hindsight but hey...

That's Rock 'n' Fuckin' Roll :) and he gave us some great fuckin' tunes

Aha I just found this:

On the Illusion albums, Izzy Stradlin is credited with rhythm guitar while you're credited with lead and rhythm. How does that break down on any given track?

It's simple. Izzy, even on the songs he wrote, put on a very bare-bones guitar part -- just basic chords. And sometimes, very rarely, a single-note melody. He has one guitar solo on Illusion I -- at the beginning of "Back Off Bitch."

You also solo on "Back Off Bitch."

Yeah, I play the main solo. I used to play this high-end trill thing for the first solo, but I could never play it consistently. So I just took it off altogether and let Izzy put a lead on, which is really a lot cooler.

Here's the source, quite a cool interview from '92 that i will now read the rest of ;)

http://www.guitarworld.com/slash-talks-guitars-and-guns-n-roses-1992-guitar-world-interivew