Disco

Vincent Vega

In light of the recent untimely deaths of Donna Summer and Robin Gibb, two of the cornerstones of late 70s music and two of the most important figures in Disco, I figure we'd go back in time to remember Disco and re-evaluate it. I've always loved Disco and even the culture surrounding it, the clothes, the dancing, etc, and I think it got a really bad rap in the beginning of the 80s by small minded "RAWK N ROLL ONLY" fans who didn't like the gay and black aspects of the Disco culture, and I do feel a lot of the songs were really inventive....It's gotten an unfair rap since the early 80s but I truly do think it was an awesome form of music and it seems to have had a wild, fun subculture associated with it. We put the Hippie 60s culture and Psychedelia up on a pedestal, so why not Disco?

What are your views on the genre?

Edited by Clark Gable

There's a reason you hear 70s rock on the radio but not 70s disco. At least I don't recall knowing a disco station "All disco, all the time". I don't listen to disco. I don't really know anyone that does. The music is phony. There's too many horns. The same drum beat if every song. The few good songs have been played so many times they are annoying as holiday songs when you hear them, even years after the last time you've heard it.

Just as death metal is annoying because it's only one emotion, pure gleefulness is numbingly insulting to ones intelligence and makes me feel infantile. The world is a screwed up place and I would say that "happy" perspective provided in disco music is as out of place as family sitcoms from the 1950s. It got replaced by new wave music and diverse music videos.

There's a lot of reasons why disco failed. You can blame it on Lee Abrams but that music is gone. At the end of the day I think the listeners didn't want to listen to it, and more importantly, the musicians themselves didn't want to make that music anymore either. This might be a one lonely thread my friend. If it wasn't for disco, there wouldn't have been my favorite scene in Detroit Rock City though.

There's a reason you hear 70s rock on the radio but not 70s disco. At least I don't recall knowing a disco station "All disco, all the time". I don't listen to disco. I don't really know anyone that does. The music is phony. There's too many horns. The same drum beat if every song. The few good songs have been played so many times they are annoying as holiday songs when you hear them, even years after the last time you've heard it.

Just as death metal is annoying because it's only one emotion, pure gleefulness is numbingly insulting to ones intelligence and makes me feel infantile. The world is a screwed up place and I would say that "happy" perspective provided in disco music is as out of place as family sitcoms from the 1950s. It got replaced by new wave music and diverse music videos.

There's a lot of reasons why disco failed. You can blame it on Lee Abrams but that music is gone. At the end of the day I think the listeners didn't want to listen to it, and more importantly, the musicians themselves didn't want to make that music anymore either. This might be a one lonely thread my friend. If it wasn't for disco, there wouldn't have been my favorite scene in Detroit Rock City though.

love that movie i love the line when trip says "disco blows dogs for quarters man" :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Guest Len B'stard

i love Candi Staton or Stanton or whatever her name is, the one who did YOUNG HEARTSSSS, RUN FREEEEE, NEVER BE HUNG UP , HUNG UP LIKE MY MA...uh, you get the picture :lol: But yeah, love Disco, it's an interesting genre actually because it is or was ostensibly a pop genre and thus it wasn't militant in any particular direction and it wasn't held to like, y'know, Disco's gotta be this and this and this and because of that freedom Disco was able to incorporate a lot of other elements like funk etc, actually a really interesting genre if you dig deep enough. Also like, it was a sort of an in-between point between a lot of things like Soul and Funk and Hip Hop, i mean, very early hip hop is basically working class disco, Disco presented brutually.

Edited by sugaraylen

Robin Gibb wasn't some disco fuck like Barry. He was the real fuckin deal imo the good 60s Bee Gees was Robin and he had like a Layne Staley quality in. that he really felt the shit. Got tp Get a Message to You and Massachusetts are fuckin tunes no Disney ass disco shit.

• 2 weeks later...