Drunk Driving Death

Apollo

Obviously drunk driving is a terrible thing to do.

In another topic about Motley Crue, some people are crucifying Vince Neil for "killing" Razzle, a member of H-Rocks. For those who don't know, the two were at a party drinking. The party ran out of booze, Neil and Razzle jumped in a car to go to the liquor store, and were involved in a wreck. Razzle was killed.

So........

Yes, horrible tragedy. Drunk driving is idiotic and stupid. No excuses.

My question is do you guys feel an accident like this is 100% the fault of the driver? Does the drunk passenger bare part of the blame, because they chose to participate in the illegal activity as well?

I've never driven drunk before. BUT, in my younger days, I rode in cars with people who had been drinking. Simply because I didn't want to be the one who got a DWI or DUI if we got pulled over. And have you ever been in the situation where you were with a crowd of people and you all wanted to go somewhere else, and the driver was determined by whose car was closest, who didn't have any gas, who had a new CD they wanted everybody to hear, etc.

When people choose to drive after they have been drinking, do you feel the drunk passengers are completely off the hook for anything that happens, because they weren't actually driving? Or do you feel like it is also their fault, since they voluntarily chose to get in a car with a drunk person. I feel like people need to be held accountable for their actions/choices. Razzle didn't say "Dude, both of us have been drinking. You shouldn't drive. Let's walk." Instead, he chose to go - knowing the driver had been drinking.

Isn't there a difference between a drunk driver killing an innocent bystander, compared to a person who had been partying with him all night long, who chose to leave the party to go to a liquor store, and then getting in a wreck.

The driver is the one in charge of the vehicle, so yes - when an accident happens, they are the ones who are going to be held responsible. But should his drunk passenger, who chose to participate in the illegal activity, be held as innocent?

I think they do share some of the blame, at the end of the day they were the ones who decided to get into the car with the driver, if they had made a better decision they would still be alive. :shrugs:

Thats not to say the driver is blameless though, they share the blame along with the passenger.

Tottem, I agree that the driver is to blame. I'm not defending the driver at all. His actions were terrible.

I just don't think you can say cut and dry "The driver killed him. What a scumbag." Like you could if the driver hit some guy walking on the sidewalk.

Here is a quote from the band's lead singer Michael Monroe

"There was a car accident where unfortunately our drummer (Razzle Dingley) was killed. As far as Vince Neil I have nothing to say. It was an accident that surely all of us would like to put behind us already. I would never blame anybody for an accident -- you can't. What happened happened, and I can't change that. Everybody suffered from this and we'd like to put that behind us."

Obviously drunk driving is a terrible thing to do.

In another topic about Motley Crue, some people are crucifying Vince Neil for "killing" Razzle, a member of H-Rocks. For those who don't know, the two were at a party drinking. The party ran out of booze, Neil and Razzle jumped in a car to go to the liquor store, and were involved in a wreck. Razzle was killed.

So........

Yes, horrible tragedy. Drunk driving is idiotic and stupid. No excuses.

My question is do you guys feel an accident like this is 100% the fault of the driver? Does the drunk passenger bare part of the blame, because they chose to participate in the illegal activity as well?

I've never driven drunk before. BUT, in my younger days, I rode in cars with people who had been drinking. Simply because I didn't want to be the one who got a DWI or DUI if we got pulled over. And have you ever been in the situation where you were with a crowd of people and you all wanted to go somewhere else, and the driver was determined by whose car was closest, who didn't have any gas, who had a new CD they wanted everybody to hear, etc.

When people choose to drive after they have been drinking, do you feel the drunk passengers are completely off the hook for anything that happens, because they weren't actually driving? Or do you feel like it is also their fault, since they voluntarily chose to get in a car with a drunk person. I feel like people need to be held accountable for their actions/choices. Razzle didn't say "Dude, both of us have been drinking. You shouldn't drive. Let's walk." Instead, he chose to go - knowing the driver had been drinking.

Isn't there a difference between a drunk driver killing an innocent bystander, compared to a person who had been partying with him all night long, who chose to leave the party to go to a liquor store, and then getting in a wreck.

The driver is the one in charge of the vehicle, so yes - when an accident happens, they are the ones who are going to be held responsible. But should his drunk passenger, who chose to participate in the illegal activity, be held as innocent?

I don't think it can be assumed that drunk passengers always know or realize when a driver is drunk. And even if they did know, their judgement is severely impaired. We all do stupid stuff and make bad decisions when we are drunk.

Not hardly. Most of the time if I'm riding with someone who is driving drunk it's because I'm a lot more drunk then they are. By then there are usually a few things that are guiding my choices: woman? cheap mexican food? more beer? sleep? Not calculating how many beers the driver has had and then dividing it by the number of hours we've been drinking, and possibly weighing it with how much food and water he's drank.

It follows the course of a whole shitload of bad choices, but I'd hardly blame the passenger for the fact someone else was trashed, crashed, and killed him.

The passenger is not responsible for the accident.

When they decide to get inside a car with a drunk person behind the wheel they are taking the risk of being injured etc., but they aren't responsible for the accident itself (unless they put their hands on the drivers eyes or something).