Bruce Springsteen - Gothenburg July 27-28

Demon Wolf

072812_377.jpg

What can I say? Holy shit is probably the words I need to use. Two absolutely extraordinary concerts, breaking the attendance record twice at Ullevi with 66000+ both nights.

-Friday-

Setlist:

The Promised Land

Prove It All Night

Cover Me

Something in the Night

My Love Will Not Let You Down

We Take Care of Our Own

Wrecking Ball

Death to My Hometown

My City of Ruins

Spirit in the Night

Girls in Their Summer Clothes

Jack of All Trades

Youngstown

Murder Incorporated

Johnny 99

Working on the Highway

Darlington County

Shackled and Drawn

Waitin' on a Sunny Day

Drive All Night

The Rising

Radio Nowhere

Badlands

We Are Alive

Born in the U.S.A.

Born to Run

Rosalita

Seven Nights to Rock

Dancing in the Dark

Tenth Avenue Freeze-out

Twist and Shout

3:45 minutes running time. Stunning concert, audience was his from the get go. Sound was a bit iffy the first few numbers but was quickly sorted out. Such a joy to see Promised Land open the show, one of my favourite songs. All the new songs went down a storm, with My City Of Ruins from The Rising being the definite highlight of the first half. Simply stunning.

Youngstown was also out of this world, Nils Lofgren delivered a wonderful guitar solo. Then there were a few less stellar numbers starting with Murder Inc thru Darlington County, which made the show lose some momentum. But with Shackled And Drawn and Waiting On A Sunny Day, the concert was right back on track, culminating in the best performance of the night with Drive All Night.

A simply magical moment with thousands and thousands of smartphones lighting up the Swedish night.

The rest of the night was a frenzy, it was just pure happiness. It had everything. Roy Bittan doing a piano solo with Bruce's head (!), girls on stage for Dancing In The Dark and of course it ended with the stadium breaker, Twist & Shout.

"Let's test this motherfucker!" In 1985 when Springsteen played at Ullevi, they had to close the stadium for repairs after his concert.

Unbelievable night, did not for a moment think it could be surpassed but I was wrong...

-Saturday-

Setlist:

Who'll Stop the Rain

The Ties That Bind

Out in the Street

Downbound Train

I'm Goin' Down

My Lucky Day

Lost in the Flood

We Take Care of Our Own

Wrecking Ball

Death to My Hometown

My City of Ruins

It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City

Frankie

The River

Because the Night

Lonesome Day

Hungry Heart

Shackled and Drawn

Waitin' on a Sunny Day

Where the Bands Are

Backstreets

Badlands

Land of Hope and Dreams

Thunder Road

Born in the U.S.A.

Born to Run

Ramrod

Dancing in the Dark

Tenth Avenue Freeze-out

Jungleland

Twist and Shout

Running time - 3:42

Not only did he switch out 19 (!) songs from the night before, he delivered a performance that can not even be described. I keep trying to think of things to say, but words are not enough. Gothenburg had massive rainfall during the entire day, but a few minutes before he came on, it stopped, never to return.

An absolute party from start to finish, with plenty of poignant moments and rarities thrown in for good measure. A superb setlist of crowd pleasers too, Because The Night being a definitive highlight. Nils Lofgren once again delivered a spectacular guitar solo.

Almost started crying when Backstreets was performed, such an amazing song. Incredibly powerful performance.

The encore was just as crazy as the night before, and as Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out echoed away, you thought it was all over... but Bruce came back to the mic and said a few words about the late great Clarence Clemons.

"Clarence always had a special connection to Sweden," and then: "We haven't rehearsed this, but this is for you... and for the Big Man."

And then...

Jungleland.

Some wrong notes on the violin in the intro but otherwise the performance was out of this world. Jake Clemons, nephew of the Big Man, delivered a note for note perfect rendition of the iconic sax solo, and all around people were crying and/or standing in awe, me included.

First time it has ever been performed since Clarence passed away. Bruce embraced Jake afterwards and they both appeared to be in tears. Even Roy Bittan came down from his piano piedestal to praise him.

Ended once again with Twist & Shout, a rousing rendition which had the entire stadium jumping so much I thought it'd break again.

Sorry for this mostly incoherent, adjective-laden post but words can not do justice as to what I just witnessed.

Whatever you do, go see the man before it's too late.

yeah, still can't believe it happened. Friday was amazing but saturday's setlist was OUT OF THIS WORLD.

Backstreets leading into Badlands might've been the best combo of live songs I've ever heard.

And Jungleland... words do not do it justice. Jake Clemons played it so well. So incredibly well.

I saw them (it is a band after all) in London last month and yes it was in my top three shows. I would have loved to hear Jungleland since it's my favorite Bruce song and one of my favorites by anyone but it's ok, I'm glad you got to hear it.

Bruce is such a great showman. And he interacts brilliantly with the crowd. There was a girl holding a sign saying "I'll be your Courtney Cox" and during Dancin in the Dark he got her on stage and danced with her. And this guy had a sign requesting a really obscure unreleased song and Bruce spoke a bit about how he had been at 6 shows already or something like that and they hadn't played it and that was the last show of the tour that guy was going to so they played it for him alone pretty much. And of course a lot of very cool moments throughout the show, singing with the crowd and so on.

My only complaint was that it was a festival date, not their own show.