Was New Wave the last truly innovative musical genre?

Vincent Vega

Guest Len B'stard

So Siouxsie was Punk? Cause to me, New Wave is like post punk. Punk what became more mainstream, but I can be so wrong. So please explain. I had it wrong all along, after 30 years I learn something new? Oh and what about joy division

That means I was Punk, when I was 14, not New wave, which I thought I was :lol:

Siouxsie and the Banshees weren't just punk, they were THE fucking punks, Siouxsie Sioux, Severin, Marco Pirroni, these people were from the original like, 15 or 25 people that started the punk crowd/scene in London. This is why Joy Division to me are punk as fuck, their albums sounded like they did because of Martin Hannett, otherwise listen to em as Warsaw, they were just straightahead punk. And even if they were and you were to take it on the basis of sound, the original punks were never carbon copy 3 chord punk anyway, not the best of em anyway. I mean your X Ray Spex and Siousie and the Banshees and The Slits and The Pistols and The Clash and The Adverts and them lot. Joy Division are perhaps like a fraction out in terms of the time frame (although not hugely, Joy Division were pretty much formed as a result of being in the crowd at The Pistols seminal gig at the Lesser Free Trade Hall, Joy Division literally formed from seeing that gig and they were up and running about 6 to 8 months after forming to some degree.

What is typically called post punk is actually the more experimental stuff that came out after punk, stuff like Joy Division, Magazine, PiL etc, New Wave is seperate from that, New Wave is more like, Half Japanese and The Knack and all that, New Wave was a lot more traditional, doesn't mean it didn't have like, modern elements to it, it just means that the structures of songs etc, it was more pop stuff.

I think Joy Division were the band that "bridged" punk to New Wave.

Maybe not directly, but though influence unquestionably.

They had the raw emotion of punk, and the sound was definitely heavier than a lot of that tippy-toe stuff that would follow, but that had that sound that would eventually become synonymous with New Wave..by default perhaps.

But it's def there, you can hear it and see it in those vids posted above.

Oh and...

X Ray Spex... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh :wub::drool:

Yeah i know what you mean, especially that drum sound, that "peoo, peoo" sound (you know what i mean :lol:), it ended up in a load of watered down new wave bollocks and sort of became THE synth pop drum sound of the era. Also like, that Phil Collins drum sound, listen to PiL, thats the fuckin' Flowers of Romance era drum sound pretty well fuckin' nailed. Same with Keith Levene's guitar sound, VERY immitated throughout the 80s.

From which i can basically gather that New Wave took a lot from the more inventive elements of the post punk bands and incorporated them into their shit which makes people draw a seemingly logical parrallel between the two but upon scrutiny it don't really fit.

I look at "new wave" as this tribe of punk rock fans that branched out into very different directions afterwards.

I'd say that applies to like, the pure post punk stuff like the aforementioned PiL and Magazine etc but New Wave was just basically just simple straightahead pop music with certain modernist elements to reflect the simplicity and directness of punk, thats about the only similarity to me, i don't equate New Wave with any kind of inventiveness at all really, quite the opposite actually.