Don't Cry, Unknown Drummer, and a few other questions

Creepshow2

Hi Marc, I have a few questions that are all based around the same time period but different subjects.

1) Don't Cry is considered the first song ever written for Guns N' Roses but it was played for the first time December 31, 1984 at the Hollywood Rose reunion show. Was it written intended for GN'R and just played at the reunion to see how it went or was it just later used in GN'R? If the latter is true, what makes it different than Back Off Bitch, Anything Goes, Reckless Life or any other old songs GN'R later used?

2) Did you ever find out from Steven who filled in on drums for Rob Gardener on April 24, 25, and 27? I'm not sure if you have regular contact with him.

3) There's a post where someone claims to have seen a video of a Guns N' Roses show from July 16, 1985. This date isn't listed anywhere and from what I've been told, the first ever videotaped recording of the band was at the Stardust Ballroom on August 30, 1985 filmed by Black Randy and then the next would be the Roxy on January 18, 1986 that you filmed. The supposed July 16 show is said to be after a Live Aid show. Can you please shed light on this?

Thank you very much.

Don't Cry was the first song that was put together when Axl and Izzy got back together at the start of 1985. There was no gig July 16 1985. Also there was a video made 10/31/85 at Radio City but the band wanted the $50 payment for the gig instead. I was there and would have given the band the money my self and took the video. I sure the venue taped over the video when the next band went on.

Yeah, it would be cool if all their Halloween shows existed. So the Hollywood Rose reunion on New Years Eve (if that's even the date) they didn't have Don't Cry together yet, until 1985? I'm only asking because in the book it says that was the first live performance but there's no date. I can't remember the source that said December 31, 1984.

Is there a set list from that show or an exact date?

Also, did the video of Stardust that Black Randy taped ever see the light of day?

Edited by Creepshow2

Early 1985 makes more sense now. If we were to try and narrow it down best, Duff said in February 1985 is when Izzy told him about the idea of Guns N' Roses so if the show was played before GN'R existed (or during the construction of it since they played Don't Cry) could it have been in January or February? Also in Reckless Road you said that Izzy booked the reunion after he left London and was without a band. Do you know when he left London?

It could be, maybe they were still working out parts to it or structuring it but they still had performed it at the Hollywood Rose reunion so maybe Slash came up with the distinctive (and consistent) solo in June of 1985. They recorded the demo only a few months later. But the date of the reunion show had to be before Guns N' Roses first show with the GN'R name, March 26, 1985 at the Troubadour with Tracii, Rob, and Ole.

According to Duff, it was February when Izzy told him about the new band. So if Izzy left London, not sure of the date, and then booked the Dancing Waters Club for a reunion and Duff still wasn't part of it just yet, nor is Ole and they've got Steve Darrow on bass, it seems like it would be between January and February 1985.