Lone Survivor

TombRaider

1385202925844-lone-survivor-d28986-13852

I just saw this and I gotta tell you guys I don't remember watching such a graphic war movie since Saving Private Ryan back in 1998. It's based on a true story or so it seems.

Now, I wonder if...

they made the right call by letting the kids and the old man go. I mean, I guess you could argue that they were civilians and they had no reason to kill innocent people who were just minding their own business. But then again, letting them go resultes in almost the whole team being killed by the Taliban and the 10 or 11 guys that were in the rescue chofer. According to imdb, the survivor said he'd have done things differently if he'd known back then how things would turn out. I don't know. What do you think? I'm starting to think killing them was the right thing to do. At least you'd be saving American lives, the lives of your men.
and there's something I don't understand either...
How come the Afghan guy was willing to help Mark Wahlberg's character? I mean, I know he was not a Taliban, but he must've known that by helping the American soldier, he was basically sentencing himself and the rest of the village to death. I don't know. did that actually happen?

1385202925844-lone-survivor-d28986-13852

I just saw this and I gotta tell you guys I don't remember watching such a graphic war movie since Saving Private Ryan back in 1998. It's based on a true story or so it seems.

Now, I wonder if...

they made the right call by letting the kids and the old man go. I mean, I guess you could argue that they were civilians and they had no reason to kill innocent people who were just minding their own business. But then again, letting them go resultes in almost the whole team being killed by the Taliban and the 10 or 11 guys that were in the rescue chofer. According to imdb, the survivor said he'd have done things differently if he'd known back then how things would turn out. I don't know. What do you think? I'm starting to think killing them was the right thing to do. At least you'd be saving American lives, the lives of your men.

How come the Afghan guy was willing to help Mark Wahlberg's character? I mean, I know he was not a Taliban, but he must've known that by helping the American soldier, he was basically sentencing himself and the rest of the village to death. I don't know. did that actually happen?

If they'd killed the kids and the old man, they would've had that on them their entire lives (not knowing whether they did any good for themselves in the process). Really, they were fucked regardless.

It's explained at the end of the film, the people who help him are part of a tribe that's sworn to help and protect people who need it and they've been opposing the Taliban for years. The main guy is still alive, they show a photo of the two of them.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but

Is the part you were talking about in part 2 of the videos below? Talks about it throughout, but they talk to the Afghan rescuer around the 6 minute mark of part 2.

Here's the 60 Minutes feature on Marcus Luttrell, if anyone's interested (I put it in the spoiler tags just in case people don't want to know what happens before they see the movie--I'm guessing there's a fair amount of the plot talked about and revealed, in the interview, if the movie follows the real life events closely enough):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF4bU6O7qWk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTgUWeV1ylg

Edited by ronaldo9