Putin may not be so bright, after all....

Ace Nova

well for now this Turkish Nord Stream is a moot point. as it was pointed out in the article above, with current oil prices and ruble's decline Russia can hardly afford it. and most importantly, this pipeline seems unnecessary, as diversifying energy sources is the key point for EU security policy now. in other words EU is looking for the ways to reduce the consumption of Russian gas, not to increase it. and for what i know, Ukrainian pipeline is only 50 - 60% loaded now...

also Russian independent experts say only half of those $4.66 billion (total sum spent on the South Stream so far) was invested in building of the pipeline on Russian territory, but the other half was wasted on bribes for EU high officials and other forms of corruption. i think at this point we can say it's Putin's tactical defeat, but we don't know yet whose strategic victory it will be

Nevertheless, what Putin has done here is give people in Moldova, Hungary and Bulgaria reasons to blame the EU and look east for leadership ... much like they did before the Soviet Union collapsed.

Bulgaria has a new government and a new PM Boyko Borisov, and the promise to drop the South Stream down was one of the main thesis of his electoral campaign. Similar situation is in Moldova, they had a Parliamentary election just couple of days ago, elected a strong pro-EU majority and all they want for now is to be a EU member one day.

Not surprised. Putin looks like he only cares about how comfortable he is and not about his people.

I think he's just interested in being more of a dictator and getting back all those countries that were part of the USSR years ago.

So many people in so many countries suffer for the needs of their leaders. it sucks, but it's nothing new.

Not surprised. Putin looks like he only cares about how comfortable he is and not about his people.

I think he's just interested in being more of a dictator and getting back all those countries that were part of the USSR years ago.

So many people in so many countries suffer for the needs of their leaders. it sucks, but it's nothing new.

Glad you cleared that up for the rest of us.

Have you thought about running for a local office?