Monster Hunter World

AtariLegend

Anyone else play this?

I went with Heavy Gun build which meant no dodge and generally being awful, but still cleared it.

The game got rave reviews, but I didn't think much of it. To me it was generally typical Capcom with good, but similar graphics to other Capcom non Street Fighter games. Artificial depth, alot of recolored monsters that do the same things with different names. Too few levels/zones that aren't as big as people make out. The blizzard mistake of adding in the same monsters later on, but with just more health. A ridiculous story with 1 dimensional characters that makes less sense as it goes on.

It is fun on multi-player though, but with the end game being just farm the same monsters over/over i.e Deviljo it gets repetitive. Though one thing on the boss mechanics, Warcraft which came out in 2004 had better depth in raid bosses than this (or at least last time I played). A modern game should be able to come up with some more creativity than move out of the way of the death lazer/fire ball. There's alot of times were it feels like Lost Planet 2 (another Capcom game with giant monsters), but with medieval weapons instead of guns.

Should point out that from watching youtube videos, the game looks alot better on PC than the PS4. I've also never played any other Monster Hunter game.

I wanted to get it on release. Then I heard my processor wouldn't be able to play it due to the game requiring some newer protocol from Intel. Then I heard people say they've played on i7 3820s without issue. But Assassin's Creed Odyssey was coming out two days later, so I just waited for that.

I'll probably go through Monster Hunter at some point. But the vibe I get from gameplay videos is what you're saying: game looks good and fun, but feels over-hyped for what it is.

20 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

But the vibe I get from gameplay videos is what you're saying: game looks good and fun, but feels over-hyped for what it is.

It's not a bad game and worth getting, you'l have fun and it'll be really cool at the start. However yep over hyped and not that much depth. Definitely a shell life.

There's a trick where they all of the

Spoiler

maps feel bigger and that's by just having you run around in a circle.

You'll also probably thinking too yourself what's the best strategy to come up with for some of these? Issue is that for most it's really just a variation of roll/dodge then smash. However admittedly the difficulty does ramp up quite dramatically in the post game.

Edited by AtariLegend

On 24/10/2018 at 8:57 PM, OmarBradley said:

I wanted to get it on release. Then I heard my processor wouldn't be able to play it due to the game requiring some newer protocol from Intel. Then I heard people say they've played on i7 3820s without issue. But Assassin's Creed Odyssey was coming out two days later, so I just waited for that.

I'll probably go through Monster Hunter at some point. But the vibe I get from gameplay videos is what you're saying: game looks good and fun, but feels over-hyped for what it is.

If you're reliant on PC, have you never played Personsa 5 btw? One of the best RPGs I've ever played, that I can't critize till the end. Better than any Final Fantasy ect game in years.

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

If you're reliant on PC, have you never played Personsa 5 btw? One of the best RPGs I've ever played, that I can't critize till the end. Better than any Final Fantasy ect game in years.

Not a big JRPG fan on modern PC/console. Handheld/Gameboy, different story, huge JRPG fan there. But for PC, the western RPGs usually have more of what I'm looking for.

20 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I wish Persona 5 was on PC.

I'm very cynical towards most games I play now, but that game made me feel like a kid. It wasn't perfect, but it was the perfect experience. Sinking 100 plus hours into a game's main story while not having to fetch collectables made me feel like a kid. 

I hope they move Personsa 4 to the PS4 or Steam on PC.

Edited by AtariLegend