Why isnt Gilby in the new GNR?

ChineseDemocracy

I know how the rest of the band and Axl arent quite on good terms.

But remember before this whole thing started and Axl made his first appearance, and did some tunes with Gilby Clarke, I believe it was in 99 or 2000

That kind of leads me to the conclusion that they are on good terms. If so, why is Gilby not in the band anymore?

i think you're wrong(i'm not sure)

gilby quit after they made the spagetti incident

i'm not reall sure about it but it was between 92 and 95

cos in 95 axl tried to put zakk wylde with slash but both of them are harcore lead guitar players so they didn't feel well playing together(something like it),

and slash left some years later

i vividly remember, it was right after when Axl had been gone for a gazillion years, then all of a sudden he sang a few songs with a band Gilby Clarke was in, they did "Dead Flowers" or some crap like that.  There was pictures and the whole shot, If I wanted to I could probably go find those pictures somewhere.

Gilby left the band in 95 when he and Axl were disagreeing on the musical direction GNR should progress in.

Thats why Slash left too. I think Duff n Matt just kinda left coz Slash did.

And yeah, Axl did Dead Flowers with Gilby for Pawnshop Guitars.

Peace :D

sorry i'm not really sure about it

and i'm not really sure about how duff and matt left gnr

can anybody tell me

Well I know Duff left in 96 after Slash , while Matt left in 95 because he wanted to rejoin the Cult so he could actually play live and make new music ( something Axl wasn't intreseted in doing at that time ) , I'm still not sure why Gilby was fired but I think it's cause Axl wanted to make room for Paul Huge and Finck to start the new GnR , that's a theroy anyway  ::)

Peace GnR Nation  8)

When did Dead Flowers come out?  2000?  I have it downloaded, I like the song a lot, actually.  I like that picture too...I like Axl's hair like that way better than the braids.  WHo knows...maybe he'll look like that again next time we see him :-)  And yes, he should, def. keep long hair!

When did Dead Flowers come out?  2000?  I have it downloaded, I like the song a lot, actually.  I like that picture too...I like Axl's hair like that way better than the braids.  WHo knows...maybe he'll look like that again next time we see him :-)  And yes, he should, def. keep long hair!

Dead Flowers is a Rolling Stones cover from Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars album. It's a great track.

I heard that Gilby only had a contract to play for the remainder of the UYI tour. Apparently there was some friction towards the end of the tour. Gilby broke his wrist and Izzy came back for a few shows. Gilby showed up for some shows at Milton Keynes and did some backing vocals, but he didn't look happy. After the tour there were a few meetings regarding the band's 'future' and it turned out that Gilby was surplus to requirements.

This may be true. It may not. I do not know. It's just put together from articles I have read and from people I have spoken to. Maybe Axl will tell us one day. And maybe he won't. ??? 8)

I heard that Gilby only had a contract to play for the remainder of the UYI tour. Apparently there was some friction towards the end of the tour. Gilby broke his wrist and Izzy came back for a few shows.

This is also the verison I have heard from reliable sources. I have also heard that the other members asumed he would become a permanent part of the band. When Axl fired him the others were pissed because he did it without consulting the rest of the band. Ok yeah he had the rights, but I think communication with any group/band is a key factor. If that is the way it happened, I think he should have talked it over with every one else. This may have been one of the reasons there was so much hosility towards the end, Axl felt he could do whatever he wanted with the band.

I think Gilby has been sharply underrated.

I saw him play here in NYC a couple of months ago, and he looked and sounded awesome. He had incredible stage presence and the crowd really got into the show. I don't think he really had a chance to showcase his talents when he was with GNR.

I wish Gilby could be part of either Axl's band or the Project. I think he'd be a great addition.

Re the earlier bit about Axl's hair, I think he could carry off a skinhead cut, specially if he got some cool tatts on his scalp.... he's got good bone structure.

I like the dreads, but everyone's ragging about him going bald (like, it's a crime?) - so I say reach for the razor, babe!

Have you guys seen Axl's arrest photo, from when he got in a fracas at customs one time? He's got short(er) hair in that, looked fine to me - I was suprised when I saw the Dead Flowers pic in Kerrang and he'd grown it again.

xS

This is how Gilby left:

He told Axl: "I think we have a lot of talented musicians here, but you have to use them, and if youre gonna proceed with this Zakk Wylde Paul Huge My World stuff I wanna leave.

Then Axl told Slash on the other hand that he wants Gilby out. And so Axl fired Gilby before he had a chance to leave.

Axl and Gilby are still friends though.

Peace :D

I wish Gilby could be part of either Axl's band or the Project. I think he'd be a great addition

Yeah , that sounds like a great idea , I could only wish they had a place for Stevie , I love to hear him banging away on the skins again .

Peace GnR Nation  8)