Why isnt Gilby in the new GNR?

ChineseDemocracy

GnR did Dead Flowers before it came out on Pawn Shop Guitars, but the version of which you speak came out, I think, in 1996 or 97.  I hate to be a naysayer, but what makes you think Gilby was a great songwriter??  I only find one or two songs on Pawn Shop Guitars to be worthwhile.  I haven't heard anything from his pre-GnR days, can someone enlighten me?

sorry yall, i caught this one late... thought id chime in with what i know about it all...

first of of all; the Dead Flowers track was recorded back in 1994 on Gilby's first solo cd, Pawnshop Guitars [now out of print], Axl plays piano and sings on that track; Slash also plays on a a couple songs as well.

Gilby did break his wrist in the summer of 92 [maybe 93, i cant remember] but yes, Izzy does come back to play a few shows for his absence.

The picture posted comes from a summer in 2000 when Gilby and Teddy Zig's were playing a steady set of gigs in LA; Axl shows up out of the blue, and eventually sings a few songs with them.

--------

Gilby in GnR.   Really its kind of conflicting at times from what ive been able to piece together; Gilby was hired as replacement for the recently departed Stradlin on stage; Axl claims that Clarke was hired only for for the tour; Gilby had assumed for more, but never really assumed he was an equal in the band; the rest of the band members havent said much more than Gilby was hired to replace Stradlin [whatever that means].

Either way, Clarke does appear on the 93 release of Spag. Inc.  with GnR.  After which, the band takes a much needed break from touring...  Gilby, Slash and Sorum take off to do the Snakepit album with Mikey Inez, while Axl sits and stews.  Eventually Clarke finds the time to put up his own material [backed by Virigin records attempt to cash in on the GnR wave], where the above track comes from.

Some time after this, GnR as we know it attempts to come back together to start doing small sessions and writings in the studio.  Clarke notices that he isnt not receiving proper royalty checks from his GnR performances, but in order to keep face, sticks it out.  His music style clashes with where Axl wants to take the band [Gilby is the first GnR 'member' to question Axl on this move !] and then finds out by phone call that hes no longer in the band.  Gilby never really quits, and is never really fired.  Hes just told by Goldstein and management at Geffen that hes out, pushed by Axl [and management according to rumor, at the push of Axl]; after the dismissal, Clarke files suit for royalties and back payments owed, its eventually settled out of court.

The fallout deals with more negative PR for GnR, plus the loss of another guitarist, whom all members of the band had publically been much appreciative of [he was the only guitarist to be allowed to audition with the full band, and was given under 3 weeks to learn ALL GnR material for the tour, and did it].  The band questions Axl's ability to make those decisions; eventually Rose brings in Gary Sunshine, Navaro and others to record the Sympathy for The Devil track [for Interview with a Vampire], and for Oh My God [End of Days] between the two tracks, all of the remaining members make a mass exodus.

Gilby continues on with his solo act; putting out 4 solo albums to date, plus his new band [with Teddy Zig] called Col Parker.  

------

My opinion.  My opinion, for whatever its worth... I think Gilby got a raw deal.  He lived up to every expectation, and surpassed them all, and he was never allowed to become anything more than a hired 'Gun', to play Izzy's parts live.  His songwriting and singing is really something to checkout; both Duff and Slash have been reported as never even knowing Gilby could sing, write and play lead; Axl cut him off before ever letting him try.  Judging by his tastes and performances, Gilby played very well in the band, and its a shame to think what could have been if hed been allowed to play on with them.  Gilby has publically stated that hes moved past it, but enjoyed it all, and now after GnR has left him with financial security; hes free to write the music he wants, play as he will and raise his family; all of which are important to the man.   But, check out his solo stuff, its all great; and check out Kazaa/Morpheous etc, for a live version of Gilby doing Knockin On Heavens Door from a year or two ago; pretty cool how well he does it!

www.GilbyClarke.com

I remember an interview with slash and when gilby came up all he said was that he was snakepit but was no longer with guns. I had always heard how axl and gilby didn't get along and that's why he's out, so i was shocked to see axl show up his gig. Gilby wouldn't fit in the new gnr but if izzy doesn't want to tour with the project they should bring gilby in, if they don't i see that as a dis to gilby from the old guns.

To all the people who commented on AXL with short hair. Your hair won't make you sing better, won't make you a better band, etc. About the only thing long hair will do is attract more girls, but if that's all a girl likes in a guy is his hair, then she isn't worth much.

To all the people who commented on AXL with short hair. Your hair won't make you sing better, won't make you a better band, etc. About the only thing long hair will do is attract more girls, but if that's all a girl likes in a guy is his hair, then she isn't worth much.

I'm guessing you have short hair Kprice? ;D

I have to admit I have a weakness for men with long hair. Can't deny it.  :P

But that doesn't mean I don't like guys with short hair too.

Axl can wear his hair any damned way he wants to as far as I'm concerned.  But it would be a shame to cut a gorgeous mane like that.  

As for Gilby I don't think he ever got the credit he deserved.  I certainly preferred him on stage to Izzy who never seemed to me to be comfortable there.  Gilby did.