100 greatest guitar solos

Ringo

i agree with the first 2.

rock4

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i totally agree ... those 2 solos are universal the rest well can vary a lot more... id definetely put crazy train higher up, as well as november rain and sweet child :shades:

1. Comfortably Numb - David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

2. Stairway To Heaven - Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)

3. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

4. Freebird - Allen Collins (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

5. Maggot Brain - Edie Hazel (Funkadelic)

6. Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan

7. Eruption - Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)

8. Highway Star - Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple)

9. Cause We've Ended As Lovers - Jeff Beck

10. Hotel California - Don Felder/Joe Walsh (Eagles)

A very diserving top 10.

Comfortably Numb is defantly number 1, particularly after seeing David doing it flawlessly at Live 8

i like the first two but personaly id put

comfortably numb

all along the watchtower

stairway to heaven

all along the watchtower just seems to kill me more than stairway, (maybe cause i listen to stairway so much :P )

and comfortably numb....well....it just speaks for itself rock3

yeah All Along the Watchtower solo fuckin rocks,

he changes his style in it so much yet it all still sounds amazingly awesome. I love his big power dives too, they sound so cool. Ahh gotta love Jimi.

Not to mention the great lyrics in it by mr Bob Dylan :D

Stairway solo is great, i think its proberly the best fitting solo ever. What i mean is that it suites the song so well, it doesnt really stand out or sound out of place, but perfectly fits into the song.

Edited by johnezz

The comfortably numb solo isnt a great solo by itself. It's greatness is just magnified if you will, by the synths, and the crazy drums. The rythym in that song, helps that solo give us almost a euphoric feeling ;| But by itself, that solo just a basic blues solo. The rythym does alot of that solo. And because of that i think its definatly the greatest solo of all time.

The comfortably numb solo isnt a great solo by itself. It's greatness is just magnified if you will, by the synths, and the crazy drums. The rythym in that song, helps that solo give us almost a euphoric feeling ;| But by itself, that solo just a basic blues solo. The rythym does alot of that solo. And because of that i think its definatly the greatest solo of all time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you're right it isn't a 16-note-per-second-solo, it's actually very easy to play, but nobody and i mean nobody can play it like David Gilmour

id put

1.Stairway

2.Comfortably Numb

3.Freebird

but id also put all hendrix solos up there especially star spangled banner and solos like Mr. Crowley Sultans of swing and craploads of eric clapton and Henry Marza(Los Lonely Boys) solos up there too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats true, but it isnt a basic solo, sure it might use common scales and your standard blues modes but doesnt mean it's any less great. Gilmour wrote solos by coming up with a whole lot of little licks and writing them down, he would then arrange them in an order and pick and choose what ones he wants and what ones he doesn't. CN solo is actully 3 solos he had floating around meshed. Every single note in his solos are carefully planned and have a purpose. So in the end Comfortably Numb is not a song that is thrown together but a song that was been critised and rearragned and redone time and time again until Roger and David deem it perfect. Thats why it is such a great song and solo.

Guest gnr>everything

im guessing you're a really big floyd fan johnez bcuz of ur avatar and last post so can you help me with something...i already have DSotM, WYWH, and The Wall but I want to get another PF album...im in between Meddle and Animals, so my question is which one do you prefer or think I should get?

im guessing you're a really big floyd fan johnez bcuz of ur avatar and last post so can you help me with something...i already have DSotM, WYWH, and The Wall but I want to get another PF album...im in between Meddle and Animals, so my question is which one do you prefer or think I should get?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

get piper at the gates of dawn if you really like pychadelic crazyness cause thats the best pyschadelic album ever made. if not get animals

hell get all of them! :P

Guest gnr>everything

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

get piper at the gates of dawn if you really like pychadelic crazyness cause thats the best pyschadelic album ever made. if not get animals

hell get all of them! :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i want to get all of them eventually but i dont have the cash yet so im going one at a time

I think Angus got ripped a little,how bout his Whole Lotta Rosie? Show Business? I was also disappointed that Phil Collen's(Def Leppard) "Photograph" didn't make the cut.I didn't see any Tracii Guns either,that guy's a master(One More Reason)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey mate, good to see people getting into the Floyd. When people start out on them it's a safe bet to get "the big 4" which is DSOTM WYWH Animals and The Wall.

Meddle was the album before DSOTM and is much more Physcidellic, it is not a concept album but it does have one huge 23 min epic on it called Echoes, which alone is worth the price of the album.

I would suggest you to get Animals, it is a concept album and features some of Rogers best lyrics and some of Daves best guitar work. I love all songs on it. It is a pure classic album.

So yes, get Animals.

• 2 weeks later...