Tribute bands

Thunderstruck

I've seen Aussie Pink Floyd. They were pretty badass, it's not easy to try to cover Gilmour's emotional guitar work, and they did a pretty good job, except for maybe Comfortably Numb. The Time solo sounded almost exactly as the Studio verson of the real Floyd, so that was cool.

Whilst I'm loathe to admit it... I once saw Bjorn Again when they played at T in the Park a few years back.

I was a bit pissed and the alternatives at that point were all worse. I'm not into Abba (no, really)... but as tribute bands go they were probably quite good.... if you were into that sort of thing.

I also saw Dread Zeppelin play at the Venue in Edinburgh a long, long time ago (They were great).

More importantly, I managed to get off with a skanky girl that night who knew the band and so I got dragged to their tiny smelly dressing room afterwards and was duly rewarded with one of Tortelvis's stick on sideburns and a signed TShirt which has never been worn and smells awful!

Tortelvis%20is%20cool.jpg

I'd like to say I owned one of Slash's guitar picks instead... but sadly... no...

(SLASH if you're out there I'll happily trade you the sideburn for a Les Paul or a high class groupie!)

:)

Well, I just got back from the Oasis tribute.

Surprise surprise, they were not brilliant. They were ok, but murdered some songs, and I noticed they fluffed the lines a few times. The weirdest thing was that "Liam" sang all the Noel songs, which I thought was a bit shoddy.

I forgot to say earlier that I Have seen Dirty DC, who are the best tribute group I have seen. "Angus" looks just like the real thing.

I've heard a ton of GNR tribute band recordings on-line. It does sort of show how key Axl was to the band, since it is possible for a really good guitar player to duplicate Slash's guitar pretty well, but it's impossible to duplicate Axl's singing. The singing always comes across as nothing more then a really bad imitation, because no one really sounds like Axl naturally.

I have seen:

Dirty DC - AC/DC tribute band, saw them twice infact, they were brilliant.

Dressed To Kill - Kiss tribute band, again they were brilliant, but they couldn't do any pyrotechnics because of insurance.

By Jovi - Bon Jovi tribute band, they were quite good, I'm not a massive Bon Jovi fan

i've seen Back In Black, an awesome AC/DC tribute band. I've also seen Me and My Monkey who have to be the best Beatles tribute in the world. I'm lucky to live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, we have alot of good local bands here, including mine!!! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't heard of Me and My Monkey before. I just narrowly missed out on The Cavern beatles. I was going to see the Bootleg Beatles (regarded as the best) in the summer, but they cancelled :(

A couple of days ago I saw Guns 2 Roses at the Marquee Club (where Guns N' Roses played their first UK gig!) and they were so good! B)

It took them a while to tune up, but when they got started they did a great set with a totally awesome rendition of Mr Brownstone and You Could Be Mine...my only criticism is that "Axl" really couldn't dance like Axl...but they had all the right intros like Sail Away Sweet Sister and It Tastes Good Don't It, it was a really fun evening. :D