Top 5 Most Influential Artists

Genesis

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
Who did GNR influence? I can't say I've heard many bands that sound/try to sound like GNR.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because noone can sound like them.

one of a kind

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's also far too soon to expect them to have a major influence on anyone, my band that I play in is heavily influenced by em but we are all around 16 years old. So I think likeminded people will show a GNR influence in the future.

The Ramones are one of the most influential bands of all time. They influnced the Sex Pistols. Fucking Sid Vicious worshiped Dee Dee. When the Ramones went to London in 1977, just before he met the band, he ask someone if they were a real gang and if they were going to beat him up and kill him!!! :laugh:

Other influential artists of all time: (No particular order).

the Beatles.

Micheal Jackson.

Madonna.

Led Zeppelin.

Rolling Stones.

the Who.

Elvis.

Black Sabbath.

Chuck Berry.

the Doors.

Bob Dylan.

miles davis - Musically, virtually created an entire structure of song unchartered prior - blocked chord changing - also experimented from soulful jazz to creating bop with charley parker in the mid 50s

robert johnson - the king of the blues...everyone borrowed from this guy from clapton to the stones to zeppelin...who in turn influenced everyone else

bob dylan - the king of all lyrical experimentation and creating personal stylized metaphors to allow for the meaning of the words to be the forefront or holding hands with the music as a partner in statement

the beatles - taking the three above well...maybe two of them and making them available to a wide audience

james brown - took miles davis and expanded and expanded until an entire genre was created in the name of funk and then hip hop and eventually rap

miles davis - Musically, virtually created an entire structure of song unchartered prior - blocked chord changing - also experimented from soulful jazz to creating bop with charley parker in the mid 50s

robert johnson - the king of the blues...everyone borrowed from this guy from clapton to the stones to zeppelin...who in turn influenced everyone else

bob dylan - the king of all lyrical experimentation and creating personal stylized metaphors to allow for the meaning of the words to be the forefront or holding hands with the music as a partner in statement

the beatles - taking the three above well...maybe two of them and making them available to a wide audience

james brown - took miles davis and expanded and expanded until an entire genre was created in the name of funk and then hip hop and eventually rap

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pretty similar to mine but I disagree in some places. Miles led Charlie Parker's band in the mid-40's (yes he led because bird was too fucked up himself) not the mid-50's. And if you read up on Miles he has said that James Brown and Sly Stone influenced his shift to electric music, not the other way around, so if you wanted to you could say James Brown had an even bigger influence. James Brown was doing Funk-type shit in the late 60's, but Miles didn't really go that route until '72 when he made "On the Corner" to attempt to appeal to young black people.

morrissey

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rolleyes: :xmassrudolph:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my one huge example for that is :the ordinary boys

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im sure everyones thankful of him for inspiring the ordinary boys :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, he inspired suede too, and they were pretty cool

I don't really think you can say the stones. They were essentially just an evolution of the blues, which had been around before the turn of the century. Aerosmith and GnR are just evolutions of the same thing, so they don't count either. And you can't really say Clapton, since he and hendrix were fairly similar, but Clapton was less innovative.Similarly, for me Led Zeppelin are just a further evoltion of hard rock.

It's only once black sabbath arrived, that a new genre had really been created.

Then Van Halen come along and do two things; revolutiose the guitar (with tapping, harmonics and dive bombing stuff) and introduce synths into hard rock and pop, shich essentially where all 80's music came from

Similarly, Rap was something that was almost totally new when it arrived. It's hard to give credit to any one artist, but I'm gonna have to say Run DMC.

The Jackson 5 (and motown in general) formulated the concept of a group of singer/dancers, something which never really existed before. MJ then did this at a solo level. For 5 years after the height of his popularity, people were still immitating his voice. I hate to give MJ the blame for some of the awful groups we have now though.

Edited by Maddergascar

I don't really think you can say the stones. They were essentially just an evolution of the blues, which had been around before the turn of the century. Aerosmith and GnR are just evolutions of the same thing, so they don't count either. And you can't really say Clapton, since he and hendrix were fairly similar, but Clapton was less innovative.Similarly, for me Led Zeppelin are just a further evoltion of hard rock.

It's only once black sabbath arrived, that a new genre had really been created.

Then Van Halen come along and do two things; revolutiose the guitar (with tapping, harmonics and dive bombing stuff) and introduce synths into hard rock and pop, shich essentially where all 80's music came from

Similarly, Rap was something that was almost totally new when it arrived. It's hard to give credit to any one artist, but I'm gonna have to say Run DMC.

The Jackson 5 (and motown in general) formulated the concept of a group of singer/dancers, something which never really existed before. MJ then did this at a solo level. For 5 years after the height of his popularity, people were still immitating his voice. I hate to give MJ the blame for some of the awful groups we have now though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Stones deserve credit because without them there wasn't the transition from straight up blues to rock riffage, how can you say satisfaction or brown sugar were direct extensions of the blues. That's hard rock, and they started it.

OK he's not a Artist but he had WAAAAYYYYYYY more influence than The Beatles or Elvis or anyone that people have mentioned, that man is:

Leo Fender.

He invented and built the first Bass Guitar, he invented and built the first proper Solid Body Electric Guitar.

He changed music forever.

Edited by johnezz

As long as people seem to be going further and further back in the 20th century, what about leadbelly? not only influenced kurt cobain (who's been mentioned a few times :rolleyes: ) but countless others and woody guthrie influenced dylan (whos been rightly mentioned),so is woody more influential for influencing him?

Who did GNR influence? I can't say I've heard many bands that sound/try to sound like GNR.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because noone can sound like them.

one of a kind

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's also far too soon to expect them to have a major influence on anyone, my band that I play in is heavily influenced by em but we are all around 16 years old. So I think likeminded people will show a GNR influence in the future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GN'R aren't in the top-50. Not even close. What influenced do they have? It's just people trying to make excuses for their biases.

-The Beatles - yes, Ozzy's biggest influence. - along with just about every band from the 60's/70's and influence a lot of heavy bands as well.

-Hendrix - HUGE influenceon how the guitar was looked at/played

-Black Sabbath - without them I don't think Metal would be the same, for all genres and eras.

-Early (1983-1988)Metallica (huge chain reaction influence on the thrash/death metal scene)

-Iggy and the Stooges -- first punk band ever, HUGE influence on each and every punk band (true punk, not this pop/punk bullshit) . . . EVER.

Edited by forcechangenow

hmm this is tough

The Beatles - Pretty much everyone around from the late 1960s to the 1990s names the beatles as an influence, and if they didnt, theyre an influence of theyre influence.

Jimi Hendrix - Did things with the guitar that had just never been done before, overdrive up to 11. For me this is where rock starts, everything before was just rock and roll.

Van Halen - OK eddie didnt invent tapping or shred, but van halen were the first to bring it into the mainstream, a pioneer of metal, still making it sound fun. Pretty much invented the 80s. I Remember this quotation from somewhere - 'there isnt a single city where there isn't a band whos only goal is to exactly replicate van halen'

This will seem biased but:

AC/DC - They didn't really create anything special, it's just blues based boogie rock, but the riff driven rock song is something that they sorta took from the stones and perfected. Most rock bands from 1980 onwards look towards AC/DC more than the stones. Have influenced pretty much all rock in the last 20 years, from Twisted Sister, to Metallica, to Guns n' Roses, to the Darkness.

I guess theres gotta be a rapper in there:

Run DMC - I hate Run DMC, and I hate that they are seen as pioneers, the pioneers of rap are the groups around in the late 70s like the sugarhill gang, but Run DMC created the stupid fake gangsta rap that weve had to suffer through for the last 15 years, so theyve had a big influence. Thanks a lot :fuckyou: