Rip offs

Death Star

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Nirvana's come as you are is taken from eighties by killing joke, the donna's stole the riff for fall behind me from the foo fighters times like these.

Edit: Great topic btw.

Edited by Ohdistortedsmile1789

Wut about GN'R have they been ripped off?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, but they've ripped off other people. "Used To Love Her" has a very similar to "Dead Flowers" by the Rolling Stones.

Buffalo Springfield also have to give "Satisfaction" credit for the riff in "Mr. Soul".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, but they've ripped off other people. "Used To Love Her" has a very similar to "Dead Flowers" by the Rolling Stones.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exact same rhythm and chords, arrangement, everything. Plus one of the solos sounds just like the Dead Flowers solo.

The Sunshine Of Your Love solo by Cream sounds like Blue Moon

You Like Me Too Much, written by George Harrison for the Beatles, sounds exactly the same as I Don't Want To Spoil The Party. I can't even listen to You Like Me Too Much anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats very true. Usually when I play guitar, I'm playing UTLH and in some point I just notice that its Dead Flowers or vice versa :lol:

Also, Dont Cry is just like some Hanoi Rocks song.. I cant remember which one...

Led Zeppelin Rip-Offs

Here's One article on there

Dazed and Confused 

"Dazed and Confused" was one of Led Zeppelin's signature numbers, but this song was originally written by Jake Holmes and included on his 1967 album The Above Ground Sound of Jake Holmes. A 1990 interview with Jimmy Page in Musician is revealing.

MUSICIAN: I understand "Dazed and Confused" was originally a song by Jake Holmes. Is that true?

PAGE: [sourly] I don't know. I don't know. [inhaling] I don't know about all that.

MUSICIAN: Do you remember the process of writing that song?

PAGE: Well, I did that with the Yardbirds originally.... The Yardbirds were such a good band for a guitarist to play in that I came up with a lot of riffs and ideas out of that, and I employed quite a lot of those in the early Zeppelin stuff.

MUSICIAN: But Jake Holmes, a successful jingle writer in New York, claims on his 1967 record that he wrote the original song.

PAGE: Hmm. Well, I don't know. I don't know about that. I'd rather not get into it because I don't know all the circumstances. What's he got, The riff or whatever? Because Robert wrote some of the lyrics for that on the album. But he was only listening to...we extended it from the one that we were playing with the Yardbirds.

MUSICIAN: Did you bring it into the Yardbirds?

PAGE: No, I think we played it 'round a sort of melody line or something that Keith [Relf] had. So I don't know. I haven't heard Jake Holmes so I don't know what it's all about anyway. Usually my riffs are pretty damn original [laughs] What can I say?

The interviewer let the matter go at this point, but the article adds the following footnote: "The acoustic "Dazed and Confused" on The Above Ground Sound of Jake Holmes (Tower Records ST 5079, June 1967) is very, very close to Led Zeppelin's 1969 version, musically and lyrically."(1) Sources have suggested that Jimmy Page was well aware of Jake Holmes and his song "Dazed and Confused." Stephen Davis writes that the Yardbirds heard Jake Holmes at Café a Go Go during a stint in New York in 1967. They were impressed with his performance of "Dazed and Confused," which they felt was "a brilliant number—dramatic, frightening, and very stealable."(2) According to Greg Russo, on August 25, 1967, Holmes opened for the Yardbirds at the Village Theater in Greenwich Village. Jim McCarty and Jimmy Page were so impressed with Holmes's performance that each of them went out and bought a copy of The Above Ground Sound of Jake Holmes.(3) Greg Russo is perhaps the more credible source, as he is the author of Yardbirds: The Ultimate Rave-Up. He also wrote the liner notes for the 2003 EMI reissue of Little Games, the last studio album released by the Yardbirds. This reissue adds a number of tracks, including a live performance of "Dazed and Confused." With some changes from Holmes's original version, including somewhat altered lyrics and additional instrumental flourishes, "Dazed and Confused" became part of the Yardbirds live repertoire.

It's clear that Page had heard Jake Holmes's version of "Dazed and Confused" before the Yardbards performed the song, let alone before Led Zeppelin recorded it for their first album. Jake Holmes has never received any acknowledgement or compensation for "Dazed and Confused." In an interview with Will Shade, Jake Holmes revealed that he did approach Led Zeppelin several years after the release of Led Zeppelin I about the authorship of "Dazed and Confused". No one from Led Zeppelin replied to Holmes' queries and he didn't pursue the matter.(4)

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
Led Zeppelin Rip-Offs

Here's One article on there

Dazed and Confused 

"Dazed and Confused" was one of Led Zeppelin's signature numbers, but this song was originally written by Jake Holmes and included on his 1967 album The Above Ground Sound of Jake Holmes. A 1990 interview with Jimmy Page in Musician is revealing.

MUSICIAN: I understand "Dazed and Confused" was originally a song by Jake Holmes. Is that true?

PAGE: [sourly] I don't know. I don't know. [inhaling] I don't know about all that.

MUSICIAN: Do you remember the process of writing that song?

PAGE: Well, I did that with the Yardbirds originally.... The Yardbirds were such a good band for a guitarist to play in that I came up with a lot of riffs and ideas out of that, and I employed quite a lot of those in the early Zeppelin stuff.

MUSICIAN: But Jake Holmes, a successful jingle writer in New York, claims on his 1967 record that he wrote the original song.

PAGE: Hmm. Well, I don't know. I don't know about that. I'd rather not get into it because I don't know all the circumstances. What's he got, The riff or whatever? Because Robert wrote some of the lyrics for that on the album. But he was only listening to...we extended it from the one that we were playing with the Yardbirds.

MUSICIAN: Did you bring it into the Yardbirds?

PAGE: No, I think we played it 'round a sort of melody line or something that Keith [Relf] had. So I don't know. I haven't heard Jake Holmes so I don't know what it's all about anyway. Usually my riffs are pretty damn original [laughs] What can I say?

The interviewer let the matter go at this point, but the article adds the following footnote: "The acoustic "Dazed and Confused" on The Above Ground Sound of Jake Holmes (Tower Records ST 5079, June 1967) is very, very close to Led Zeppelin's 1969 version, musically and lyrically."(1) Sources have suggested that Jimmy Page was well aware of Jake Holmes and his song "Dazed and Confused." Stephen Davis writes that the Yardbirds heard Jake Holmes at Café a Go Go during a stint in New York in 1967. They were impressed with his performance of "Dazed and Confused," which they felt was "a brilliant number—dramatic, frightening, and very stealable."(2) According to Greg Russo, on August 25, 1967, Holmes opened for the Yardbirds at the Village Theater in Greenwich Village. Jim McCarty and Jimmy Page were so impressed with Holmes's performance that each of them went out and bought a copy of The Above Ground Sound of Jake Holmes.(3) Greg Russo is perhaps the more credible source, as he is the author of Yardbirds: The Ultimate Rave-Up. He also wrote the liner notes for the 2003 EMI reissue of Little Games, the last studio album released by the Yardbirds. This reissue adds a number of tracks, including a live performance of "Dazed and Confused." With some changes from Holmes's original version, including somewhat altered lyrics and additional instrumental flourishes, "Dazed and Confused" became part of the Yardbirds live repertoire.

It's clear that Page had heard Jake Holmes's version of "Dazed and Confused" before the Yardbards performed the song, let alone before Led Zeppelin recorded it for their first album. Jake Holmes has never received any acknowledgement or compensation for "Dazed and Confused." In an interview with Will Shade, Jake Holmes revealed that he did approach Led Zeppelin several years after the release of Led Zeppelin I about the authorship of "Dazed and Confused". No one from Led Zeppelin replied to Holmes' queries and he didn't pursue the matter.(4)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks so much I bookmarked that page. Since I love Led Zeppelin but have been into the blues so much longer it's very interesting.