Progressive Rock bands

johnezz

I've really starting to getting Prog music, i bought the best of Emerson, Lake & Parker the other day and it's bloody amazing, the most talented trio ever? certainly Kieth Emerson is the best keyboardist i've ever heard. But yeah their music is great.

I've also heard a little King Crimson which i really like too.

So can anyone suggest some great Prog albums for me to get? Bands like Yes and Genesis etc...

Me here. Early Genesis are my favourite prog band as they simply stood out against other other in the genre.

Yes as well, some of it's a bit shite though. ELP I don't mind really.

I'm really into early Rush before they went synth

Marillion

Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater

Oh man I love Progressive!!!! :)

King Crimson I never found amazing though.

But well, Alrune Rod are progressive if you want something Danish in the collection too.

And Emerson Lake and Palmer like you mentioned, although the Nice are more acid, Keith plays in that one too.

Nice are ealier than ELP :)

Yes are fantastic too, they're so positive!

High Tide are a good band too, and I fiure some Arthur Brown is progressive too and Magma :)

That's what I can think of on the top of my head, you should ask Ramm though, he knwos everything ;)

Oooh, and Focus are amazing too :)

Edited by Lindy

Thanks guys.

Genesis, could you suggest what albums would be best to start with Genesis? I heard Lambs Lie Down on Broadway was meant to be good.

And thanks Lindy, i defantly check out those bands rock3

Btw, i already own most of early Rush, and all of Pink Floyd.

And i agree Genesis, the Mars Volta kick ass, but yeah not completely prog.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
Yeah CoCa(Coheed and Cambria) do kick ass. They are very VERY cool, great story with the songs.

Looks like more people are joining you and I Kevin.

Yeah CoCa(Coheed and Cambria) do kick ass. They are very VERY cool, great story with the songs.

Haha takes awhile.. They probably all were watching MTV today and saw them perform! By the way.. the girl messed up the name of the song on the intro.. she said "i'm suffering". It made me cringe

Haha takes awhile.. They probably all were watching MTV today and saw them perform! By the way.. the girl messed up the name of the song on the intro.. she said "i'm suffering". It made me cringe

That is dreadful, why can't people just READ.

Yeah and like, they were making a huge deal about the name of the band, saying like its a huge name. And asking why the album names are so long.. and what was awesome was one of the guys in CoCa said shit and they couldn't bleep it out cause it was live. The hosts didn't even look like they were pretending to be interested, I only watched the crap cause CoCa was on it..

Yeah and like, they were making a huge deal about the name of the band, saying like its a huge name. And asking why the album names are so long.. and what was awesome was one of the guys in CoCa said shit and they couldn't bleep it out cause it was live. The hosts didn't even look like they were pretending to be interested, I only watched the crap cause CoCa was on it..

It's a shame what young bands have to partake in to spread their music, you can hardly blame them though.

I'M GOING TO SAY JETHRO TULL BEFORE RAMM DOES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got first :D

Ramm was megaboring though so guh, obviously I would.

Mand Ramm, you big tam :mellow:

But yeah Jethro Tull are progressive alot of the time really, like the even did some 45 minute song :)

I consider Vapor Trails as perhaps the best album of this millenium that i've heard...if not in the top 5

o' course it's less prog than their earlier stuff but eh...it's still great shit :book:

I got All The World's a Stage the other week - what a great live album. I know you're into the bongos and palm trees of Rush In Rio, but this/Exit...Stage Left and the London gig on Different Stages are some great gigs.