Slash solo sound

Hi

Which effects do slash use to get that long warm noisefree solo sound he uses in songs like knocking on heaves door, nov rain, and estranged.

Is it alot of overdrive and som delay ?

I have a gibson lp standard and a vox ad30vt.

Is the pod xt live good for this slash sound or is other pedals better and if so which is recommended?

Edited by Odd1

i think u might be after this

lrg_ge7.jpg

really? no ovedrive, delaY etc?

Lmao, you guys kill me. Nobody can recreate that exact Slash tone. Its just not done. People have gotten extremely near, but theres little things which just don't match up.

Theres no way you're gonna get his sound from an equaliser like that. It helps, of course...but you gotta have decent gear, which you seemingly do have. All you gotta do is mess around with the settings on your PodXT. Its not worth getting extra stuff for a sound you cannot possibly achieve.

Of course you need overdrive and distortion for Slash's stuff, but people make a fundamental mistake - they crank the distortion up to max thinking it'll be awesome. I can't remember straight now, but I believe he uses it on 4 or something.

Edited by Max™

His warm concert tone for the November Rain solos is the neck pickup with the tone rolled off. Slash's sound is deceptive. It sounds over the top saturated, but it's not. He has 6 huge amps on stage behind him, and they are LOUD...thus notes sustain easier and harmonic feedback is easier. But if you're in your little room with the amp on 2, then you're going to have to pump ur saturation up a little...maybe 3/4 of the way to max.

Don't scoop your mids out. Slash has a dirty tone..and he likes his mid range in there, to give him some crunch and presence. I usually have my mid knob around 3, + or - 1

Use your lows to give u that chunky sound for the harder tunes.

And i like my highs, high...but not ear piercing like a clean fender strat...

The rest comes from your fingers and your picking...believe it or not..most of a guitarists sound comes from his playing..not his gear. Slash is a bender...no not gay...he likes to bend his strings a lot...giving more emotion and fluidity...

Play along with the CD..all the way through songs...don't be a pussy and learn parts of songs..learn a whole fucking song...

hope it helps.

Yeah, Slash uses the "Woman" tone made famous by Clapton, which is basically just neck pickup selected with the tone rolled off.

I'm pretty sure Slash didn't use and pedals for his overdrive, he got it all from his amps.

Don't know why you would want to replicate his tone, it's a pretty boring tone to be honest.

2 biggest factors you guys are forgetting here:

1. bedroom guitar playing cannot compare to 3 or 6 Marshall stacks, cranked, and top of that, run through a 20,000 watt arena p.a. system. it just cannot be done. even if you crank your stack to 10 in a basement, it won't be near the same.

2. most importantly, slash's tone comes from his fingers. a certain magic happens beteween a seasoned player's fingers that simply can't be replicated. the things that 'make' his tone, the "slash tone," come from licks played in a certain way, at a certain tempo, over certain chords.

it's nearly impossible to copy slash exactly unless you clone him. whatever floats yer boat, i know it does mine!

2 biggest factors you guys are forgetting here:

1. bedroom guitar playing cannot compare to 3 or 6 Marshall stacks, cranked, and top of that, run through a 20,000 watt arena p.a. system. it just cannot be done. even if you crank your stack to 10 in a basement, it won't be near the same.

2. most importantly, slash's tone comes from his fingers. a certain magic happens beteween a seasoned player's fingers that simply can't be replicated. the things that 'make' his tone, the "slash tone," come from licks played in a certain way, at a certain tempo, over certain chords.

it's nearly impossible to copy slash exactly unless you clone him. whatever floats yer boat, i know it does mine!

nice paraphrasing there bud... ;)

Slash does not play through 4 or 6 stacks :rolleyes: The stacks are for show. He goes through a simple 30w amp (30w max) and then through the huge PA.

6 decent fuckoff stacks at high levels would quite literally make each and every persons eardrum burst.

Slash does not play through 4 or 6 stacks :rolleyes: The stacks are for show. He goes through a simple 30w amp (30w max) and then through the huge PA.

6 decent fuckoff stacks at high levels would quite literally make each and every persons eardrum burst.

Wrong.

Have you been to Velvet Revolver standing directly in front of his amps?..I have twice...Trust me he uses those stacks....

1. When he walked in front of me you could hear the Cab's sound shifting, like what would normally happen when someone walks in front of a speaker.

2. Slash's sound at the back of the arena from the PA was way different from the amps up close...

3. you can directly hear the sound coming from those amps, Raw, brash, and LOUD

I can't be sure he is using all 6...but he def has 2 of them hooked up.

They're def not for show, he uses them

Wrong.

Have you been to Velvet Revolver standing directly in front of his amps?..I have twice...Trust me he uses those stacks....

1. When he walked in front of me you could hear the Cab's sound shifting, like what would normally happen when someone walks in front of a speaker.

2. Slash's sound at the back of the arena from the PA was way different from the amps up close...

So the cabs then are not linked to an amplifier from the PA? I have been assured that all big guitarists go though a small amp through the PA and out through selected speakers. In fact, the guy bet his £1m house on it. Bearing in mind that this is coming from a guy who has toured and played with The Who, and many huge bands in that era when he had around 60 Gibsons sitting in a warehouse. He is incredibly adament that all big guitarists do the thing above. He's been there and done it, so this guy's judgement I believe to be true.

Wrong.

So the cabs then are not linked to an amplifier from the PA? I have been assured that all big guitarists go though a small amp through the PA and out through selected speakers. In fact, the guy bet his £1m house on it. Bearing in mind that this is coming from a guy who has toured and played with The Who, and many huge bands in that era when he had around 60 Gibsons sitting in a warehouse. He is incredibly adament that all big guitarists do the thing above. He's been there and done it, so this guy's judgement I believe to be true.

I've heard the same thing too. And let's face it, if you had all them turned righ tup, not only would it fuck up everyones hearing, but it'd completely fuck up the sound too. If you play too loud, it'll distort and sound bollocks

Wrong.

I've heard the same thing too. And let's face it, if you had all them turned righ tup, not only would it fuck up everyones hearing, but it'd completely fuck up the sound too. If you play too loud, it'll distort and sound bollocks

It's quite possible he has another amp or amps hooked up as well. They could use it to blend the sounds together. The sound engineer might like the sound from the cabs for harder rhythm, but like a smaller amp that's miked rear-stage somewhere, for solos...It's not a secret. It's done in recordings too.

I'm just saying that Slash cab's are on and functioning..not just for show. Slash may like them for hearing his guitar on stage. and yes they are loud, thats how you get a nice sound out of a marshall or any tube amp is by cranking it...Marhsalls are just as useless as every other amp at low volumes...But they shine at higer volumes.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but Volume db doesn't accumulate based on combining sources, it is based on the loudest source hitting your ears. Therefore 1 cab turned up on blast is no different than 6. As well, he doesn't have them up on blast..cause that would blow the speakers...he probably has them on around 6 or 7.

Edited by zepsun

It's quite possible he has another amp or amps hooked up as well. They could use it to blend the sounds together. The sound engineer might like the sound from the cabs for harder rhythm, but like a smaller amp that's miked rear-stage somewhere, for solos...It's not a secret. It's done in recordings too.

I'm just saying that Slash cab's are on and functioning..not just for show. Slash may like them for hearing his guitar on stage. and yes they are loud, thats how you get a nice sound out of a marshall or any tube amp is by cranking it...Marhsalls are just as useless as every other amp at low volumes...But they shine at higer volumes.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but Volume db doesn't accumulate based on combining sources, it is based on the loudest source hitting your ears. Therefore 1 cab turned up on blast is no different than 6. As well, he doesn't have them up on blast..cause that would blow the speakers...he probably has them on around 6 or 7.

My understanding is that he actually runs all of the amps, however not simultaneously. He switches amps/cabs for different sounds. So he may be running one cab during his clean parts then switch to another cab for the dirty parts...and I think he has another separate one again for the talk box.

I saw a band play last year where the lead guitarist was given two full mesa stacks. He set them both up to make a wall but only actually ran one of them. The rest was just for show.

Also, I don't think that there would be much chance of blowing the speakers by cranking the amp. Slashs amps are about 100w - a typical 1960a cab can handle 300w.

at the philly show slash had 6 stacks. 2 for distortion, 2 for clean, 2 for talkbox during Illegal I, slither breakdown, etc., since a talkbox needs to run to a separate amp and needs to be blended with the microphone/p.a. system.

whoever was the guy that said slash uses a 30 watt combo plugged through the p.a., no offense, is out of his mind.

whoever was the guy that said slash uses a 30 watt combo plugged through the p.a., no offense, is out of his mind.

No.

You do realise that many many many artists do this. Miking an amp is far more common then lining the wall with stacks.

Besides a 30watt amp can go just as loud as a 100watt if plugged into the same Cab, it will only just distort a fuck load more.

Besides a 30watt amp can go just as loud as a 100watt if plugged into the same Cab, it will only just distort a fuck load more.

Correct - I remember reading somewhere a while ago that the actual difference in volume between a 50w and 100w head is only 4 decibels. The 100w one will obviously have more headroom, but that can be a pain when you're trying to get the sound to break up.

I have a 50w head which can be switched to 25w. I usually run it at 50w because you can get better clean. If I crank it above 3-4, I need earplugs otherwise I could be facing permanent hearing damage.