'Better' as a single

lite_sneeze

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If I unserstood right you haven't heard any of the re-masters of it? Dowloand this:The Blues (Re-mastered)

Where's that taped from mate? If I haven't got it I'll download when I get home.

I don't have a clue. It's most likely made of many recordnings. The quality is almost studio in my opinion.

I know the Boston clip kicks ass, I hope it's that one.

What's putting everyone off on this intro, the voice sounding so fem? I love it, adds another deminsion to the song.

I love it too, you need different things to make songs individual.

actually, it has grown on me a lot since this morning

i suppose 3 hours of playing and songs do that :P

They are both great, I gotta go with IRS off first as a single, from what we heard.

Secondly, what's the big deal about putting up the words to "Better"? My favorite part is when he says....

You better you better you bet

You better bet your life

Or love will cut you like a knife

I want those feeble minded axes overthrown

I'm not into your passport picture I just like your nose

See, he talks about axes, it's a metaphor!

Edited by axlskAmpf

that voice at the beginning sounds like axl. his voice is being ran thru a processor. atleast it sounds that way to me.

based on the 80 seconds that i've heard, i think it has potential to be a single. chances are though that every song on that cd will have the potential to be a single.

Is that Stinson or finck and the very beginning of the song singing?

Anyway, the part where Axl comes in, after the soft voice, is stuck in my head right now.

It's great!!

I actually think that's Axl... could be wrong.

i think it's Axl :huh:

i know it's very different, but he does have a lot of different voice styles

Agreed, I think it's Axl, it's in how things are pronounced if you listen close...

If it is him I think it's cool to hear a different style thrown in...shows he tries cool new things. If not I still love the intro, either way, but I think it's him.

Gnar, you may think it sucks, some of us do not. I thinks it's Excellent. I really like the change up, adds a different layer. Everyone has an opinion though- ours differ so I'll have to say-

No, it does not suck! rock3

Edited by mcalldp

I preferred IRS when it was faster. Better is really awesome when the verse kicks in though. I get the feeling that the chorus will be really soaring and epic. The full version has got to be out there. The reason we don't have it is probably because saint got the clip he gave us from someone else (ie second hand).

It's defeniately Axl. Still, it sucks.

it does not suck

it's variation.

Yes it does suck.

If your going to take a different musical direction, atleast make it sound good.

i can understand how people have different veiws about this

i mean, personally, i hate november rain and the ballads cos of all that piano-ey shit

but most people on here love them

so, yeah, opinions will be different on this new sound he has

it does not suck

it's variation.

Yes it does suck.

If your going to take a different musical direction, atleast make it sound good.

i can understand how people have different veiws about this

i mean, personally, i hate november rain and the ballads cos of all that piano-ey shit

but most people on here love them

so, yeah, opinions will be different on this new sound he has

I'm open to all styles of music, and listern to a wide variety.

But if CD contained songs like "Better" i personally believe it will be a weak album and will not sell very well at all.

I guess i'll have to wait to be proven wrong, but i'm not expecting much.

Here's my take:

Better is the better candidate for a single (no pun intended). It has a greater degree of dimension, flux, versatility, and could no way be thrown into a dated category. In fact its cutting edge, which is why some people are having a hard time adjusting to it and find it easier to relate to IRS. The intro is extremely original and catchy, in fact the only thing relatively close that you could compare it to would be Rage Against the Machine's "Renegades of Funk". Then the song explodes into a thick rhythm sound with vocals in your face, enough so that you hear each voice inflection independently. It’s ballsy and in your face. The tone is THICK, fuck listen to the rhythm guitar....

I'll be honest, one of my biggest fears was that the tone and mix of the album wouldn't be thick enough, wouldn't be in your face enough...I had the fear of a UYI mix, which was good for the 90s but just doesn't cut it compared to the mix that modern bands are using. For Better being a demo, you at least get the sense of tone that the band is after, which is right on target. If an album isn't mixed in your face it simply won't cut it today. Better has all the right angles. It has the sound of something you would say "this band has the most original cutting edge sound of any band in a long time". Whereas IRS is a great song, you can't really say that. Better is definitely ahead of its time, whereas IRS sounds like a newer version of an 80/90s tune, albeit very good, but not single material. Kids won't buy Chinese Democracy if IRS is the first representative song of the album, even though it’s a great song. It certainly doesn't encapsulate 12 years of a mastermind....Better is a damn good start.

Oh...that's certainly Axl singing at the intro...brilliant.

Edited by MetaSouL

it does not suck

it's variation.

Yes it does suck.

What don't you like about it, mate?

LP

Ok, i like Bucket alot, but his guitar effects at the start and during the verses do not suit the song at all

secondly, it has pop written all over it, any emo band could write the rythym to it.

And mainly it just doesn't stand out one little bit, it's boring and uninspiring.

I can just hope that Better is just a "filler" song.

it does not suck

it's variation.

Yes it does suck.

What don't you like about it, mate?

LP

Ok, i like Bucket alot, but his guitar effects at the start and during the verses do not suit the song at all

secondly, it has pop written all over it, any emo band could write the rythym to it.

And mainly it just doesn't stand out one little bit, it's boring and uninspiring.

I can just hope that Better is just a "filler" song.

That's fair enough... I don't get this anti 'emo' stuff flying around Axl is a very emotional guy - whether it's anger or frustration resulting in harder faster songs, or more fragile emotions like estranged - that's why I like him - the range of songs you can expect is great... if you ONLY want straight ahead hard rock I think you're looking in the wrong place. AC/DC and Iron Maiden are what you want if you looking for dumb straight ahead hard rock, cuz that's what CD is gonna be.....

LP

Well from everyone is saying about the "leaked" songs, they both could be used as singles. But i still think their is mush more going on then we know. I haven't herd the songs, if i could get them i would listen to them and give a better idea of what i think about them. But from what everyone is saying, if this is just a little bit of what the CD will reall have, it will blow everyone away, it will make head spins becuase its just plain out BADASS!!! Well their are my 1 1/2 cents.