New G'nR - the Motley Crue effect

Original Gunner

One of my many supporters on the group has asked me to compare what has happened to Motley Crue to that of G'n'R. Now, Crue were huge back in the day and like the five original Gunners, the band was made up of four distinct A-type personalities that the fans instantly related to and loved as a complete UNIT! Now, when it all went tits up in Crue - the band hired a new singer and released arguably their best record with John Corabi on vocals (even Tommy and Nikki acknowledge this). However, the record bombed and the tour went so bad that they had to fund it out of their own pockets and go from arenas to theaters. Now, with only one original gunner left, Axl, the question is, no matter how good CD might turn out to be, will the fans not accept the stand-ins and then some time later demand the original guys to reform as they did with Crue?

As a footnote - the Motley Crue original member tour is third in popularity/box-office to only U2 and Rolling Stones in 2005!

DISCUSS!!!!!!!!!! rock1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The show in Finland sold out in 8 minutes so I doubt that people care if it's only Axl...

A lot of people who bought tickets are going to be disappointed when they'll find out what GNR is in 2006.

In Finland, they've been promoting the show on TV with footage of the original band :lol:

The show in Finland sold out in 8 minutes so I doubt that people care if it's only Axl...

A lot of people who bought tickets are going to be disappointed when they'll find out what GNR is in 2006.

In Finland, they've been promoting the show on TV with footage of the original band :lol:

Why is that suprising, did you miss the memo that stated that the original line-up will be playing Download. I'm sure if that is true they will play more than that one date.

Why is that suprising, did you miss the memo that stated that the original line-up will be playing Download. I'm sure if that is true they will play more than that one date.

WTF - you mean the upcoming shows are being touted as the ORIGINAL GUNS'N'ROSES. How could Axl and the band's management so blatantly LIE to the fans like this! :anger:

WTF - you mean the upcoming shows are being touted as the ORIGINAL GUNS'N'ROSES. How could Axl and the band's management so blatantly LIE to the fans like this! :anger:

I think it was just people at download who said the original group was performing there, not GNR management. As far as I am concerned it will be "new" GNR performing in 2006.

Grimo.

Edited by Grimo85

As a footnote - the Motley Crue original member tour is third in popularity/box-office to only U2 and Rolling Stones in 2005!

Source on this?

Because its nonsense.

It is nonsense.

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/motley...iz_bounces_back

Top ten tours of 2005 (in millions):

1. The Rolling Stones, $162

2. U2, $138.9

3. Paul McCartney, $77.3

4. The Eagles, $76.8

5. Elton John, $65.8

6. Kenny Chesney, $61.8

7. Dave Matthews Band, $57

8. Neil Diamond, $47.3

9. Jimmy Buffett, $41

10. Motley Crue, $39.9

Axl is enough of a myth proportioned 'hero' in the story that I think people that are average fans (Not hard core) will have no problem identifying with him as being Guns N' Roses. Hell, half of them probably won't notice the difference. Same population will buy the CD and just listen to one or two singles off of it as they drive down the road...sad but true.

If an average music fan talked to one of us and we laid down info regarding the small details that we know (and love to discuss) they would think we were crazy. Hell, you could tell them Britney Spears is singing backup on the new album and half the people out there would be like, 'Really?'

See, there are sheeps, pigs and....oh there I go getting all Floyd again...scuse me :rolleyes:

Edited by mcalldp

Source on this?

Because its nonsense.

It is nonsense.

2. U2, $138.9

3. Paul McCartney, $77.3

4. The Eagles, $76.8

5. Elton John, $65.8

6. Kenny Chesney, $61.8

8. Neil Diamond, $47.3

9. Jimmy Buffett, $41

10. Motley Crue, $39.9

My mistake - i meant third biggest ROCK act - unless of course you class the Eagles and Dave Matthews as 'rock' in comparison to U2 Stones and Crue :rofl-lol: lol!

Guest Matt13

Source on this?

Because its nonsense.

It is nonsense.

2. U2, $138.9

3. Paul McCartney, $77.3

4. The Eagles, $76.8

5. Elton John, $65.8

6. Kenny Chesney, $61.8

8. Neil Diamond, $47.3

9. Jimmy Buffett, $41

10. Motley Crue, $39.9

My mistake - i meant third biggest ROCK act - unless of course you class the Eagles and Dave Matthews as 'rock' in comparison to U2 Stones and Crue :rofl-lol: lol!

Not only does this guy's stupid fucking threads have to go, but I suggest he get banned, completely. What a fucking moron.

Not only are the Eagles considered rock acts, Paul McCartney fucking invented modern rock with the Beatles. Elton John? Rock act.

I mean, really, fucking moron, were you dropped on your head a few times as a child?

And you, Niveen, can you explain to me what in the sam-hell you're doing here? You know, I can't fucking stand Justin Timberlake and Eminem therefore I don't go to their forums and talk shit about them. I could care fucking less. If you care less for Axl Rose and the new GNR, I mean, what the hell is wrong with you? Not to mention you're on here, all the time. Are you some high school drop out on mommy's computer with nothing better to do than come on a forum dedicated to a band you apparently hate, ridicule and mock on a constant basis?

Dude, go wash your junk off, take a shower and get outside. Find a hobby. Do something. Jesus, where's your sign?

Paul McCartney fucking invented modern rock with the Beatles.

LMAO - I think you need to go learn your music history a bit better kid. Here's a clue. :rolleyes:

Quote from John Lennon "Before ELVIS PRESLEY there was nothing".

Now back on topic... the original Crue will apparently be playing with Axl's PuppetShow at the RDS in Dublin, Ireland. I'm thinking Crue will blow them away. Comments?

from pollstar

Guns N' Roses

Confirm 2 Dates

Updated 08:40 PST Wed, Feb 22 2006

Seldom seen but often gossiped about Guns N' Roses is set to play the RDS Arena in Dublin, Ireland, June 9 and at the Download Festival in Donington, England, on June 11.

The Dublin gig also features Motley Crue.

Guest Matt13

LMAO - I think you need to go learn your music history a bit better kid. Here's a clue. :rolleyes:

Now back on topic... the original Crue will apparently be playing with Axl's PuppetShow at the RDS in Dublin, Ireland. I'm thinking Crue will blow them away. Comments?

from pollstar

Guns N' Roses

Confirm 2 Dates

Seldom seen but often gossiped about Guns N' Roses is set to play the RDS Arena in Dublin, Ireland, June 9 and at the Download Festival in Donington, England, on June 11.

Kid? :rofl-lol:

My god, you're dumber than I thought. No doubt Elvis brought a lot to the table... Elvis’ musical influences were the pop and country music of 40's and 50's, the gospel music he heard in church and at the all-night gospel sings he frequently attended, and the black R&B he absorbed on Beale Street as a Memphis teenager.

So, pay attention here now, bunky, this is where you get lost. See if you can keep up. Given Elvis' influences, it can be argued that the roots of rock n' roll go all the way back to Tom Dorsey or even Mahalia Jackson... folks that influenced Elvis' style. But you don't even know who they are, do ya, bunky? So, if you want to argue Mr. Dorsey and Ms. Jackson were the roots of RnR, we could do that. In fact, bunky, you could argue that if you take all of the influences by everybody and keep going back in time, we'll wind up at cavemen banging on trees with sticks. So, cavemen banging on trees with sticks started and influenced Rock n Roll.

Back to reality, the Beatles were influenced by Elvis, no doubt (who isn't), but The Beatles made modern rock POPULAR. That's a pretty undisputed statement BY FOLKS THAT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. But you don't know what you're talking about, do ya, bunky? You don't hear "Can't Help Falling In Love With you" in a lot of rock songs today, do ya bunky? What you do hear a lot of is the influence of The Beatles in a lot of today's music... IE... CATCHER IN THE RYE.

So, do you understand now, bunky?

Edited by Matt13

from pollstar

Guns N' Roses

Confirm 2 Dates

My god, you're dumber than I thought. No doubt Elvis brought a lot to the table... Elvis’ musical influences were the pop and country music of 40's and 50's, the gospel music he heard in church and at the all-night gospel sings he frequently attended, and the black R&B he absorbed on Beale Street as a Memphis teenager.

So, pay attention here now, bunky, this is where you get lost. See if you can keep up. Given Elvis' influences, it can be argued that the roots of rock n' roll go all the way back to Tom Dorsey or even Mahalia Jackson... folks that influenced Elvis' style. But you don't even know who they are, do ya, bunky?

The Beatles were influenced by Elvis, no doubt (who isn't), but The Beatles made modern rock POPULAR. That's a pretty undisputed statement BY FOLKS THAT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. But you don't know what you're talking about, do ya, bunky? You don't hear "Can't Help Falling In Love With you" in a lot of rock songs today, do ya bunky? What you do hear a lot of is the influence of The Beatles in a lot of today's music... IE... CATCHER IN THE RYE.

Somethin tells me Original Gunner has joined Kaneda on Matt's shitlist.

I dunno exactly what "bunky" means, but im goin to try and use it more in conversation in similar situations as this.

Grimo.

Now back on topic... the original Crue will apparently be playing with Axl's PuppetShow at the RDS in Dublin, Ireland. I'm thinking Crue will blow them away. Comments? ..

You're behind the times dude. The Crue has already issued a statement saying they won't be there.

It's a shame you don't spend more time researching your information - and less time acting like an internet cupcake on a GNR fan forum.

Now back on topic... the original Crue will apparently be playing with Axl's PuppetShow at the RDS in Dublin, Ireland. I'm thinking Crue will blow them away. Comments? ..

You're behind the times dude. The Crue has already issued a statement saying they won't be there.

It's a shame you don't spend more time researching your information - and less time acting like an internet cupcake on a GNR fan forum.

Ooh burnt.

Guest Matt13

from pollstar

Guns N' Roses

Confirm 2 Dates

So, pay attention here now, bunky, this is where you get lost. See if you can keep up. Given Elvis' influences, it can be argued that the roots of rock n' roll go all the way back to Tom Dorsey or even Mahalia Jackson... folks that influenced Elvis' style. But you don't even know who they are, do ya, bunky?

The Beatles were influenced by Elvis, no doubt (who isn't), but The Beatles made modern rock POPULAR. That's a pretty undisputed statement BY FOLKS THAT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. But you don't know what you're talking about, do ya, bunky? You don't hear "Can't Help Falling In Love With you" in a lot of rock songs today, do ya bunky? What you do hear a lot of is the influence of The Beatles in a lot of today's music... IE... CATCHER IN THE RYE.

Somethin tells me Original Gunner has joined Kaneda on Matt's shitlist.

I dunno exactly what "bunky" means, but im goin to try and use it more in conversation in similar situations as this.

Grimo.

Bunky:

3e43a6e8.jpg

The Clown.

:lol: Madison shot you the fuck down.

Grimo.

Guest Matt13

:lol: Madison shot you the fuck down.

Grimo.

I think I'm starting to wear off on the ol' girl a little bit :wub:

Guest Matt13

Bunky:

3e43a6e8.jpg

The Clown.

Excellent. Now I can use it even more.

Grimo.

Next time I'm across the pond, Grimo, we'll have to have a brew at a local pub on me. Seems like you and I are on the same wavelength... lol.