Ok, i need help on buying a new amp.

Ok well i'm looking for a new amp, a tube amp, one suffiant for gigging in clubs and pubs. And no i dont want a 100watt fullstack, its impossible to get power stage distortion on them without melting your ear drums. Maybe a 50 watt 1/2 stack at most. Any susgessions?

Also i found a Hiwatt 50r head on sale 2nd hand for AU$1,101 and im oh so close to buying it. I've heard really really good things about them. I know Hiwatts in general just fucking rule, i mean listern to Pete Townshends and David Gilmours tones, IMHO they are better than Marshalls. But a grande is alot of money, and thats only the head, is it worth spending a grande for really good tone? or should i settle for less?

Thanks,

Edited by johnezz

Wow of all the people....its you who needs help today :shocked:

well i say go for it....If you have the money of course.

Haha, yeah so, we all need help sometimes.

And yeah, i have just enough money.

Cool :heart:

If you have to live on cheap food n stuff after you get it then so be it

1959 hand wired plexi. Vintage of course. or the 1987 50 watt model

I was strongly considering a plexi, seeing Marshall now sell them new made to extact vintage specs.

But after playing through my mates '72 Custom 20 Hiwatt, i'm pretty much sold on the Hiwatts, their distortion is just so much more meatier and their clean tones are amazing.

Only problem is the Hiwatts are hard to come by and when they do they are expensive.

LOL, and funny thing is my mates Custom 20 Hiwatt through his 212 cab is a shitload louder than his mates JCM800 1/2 stack. I guess Hiwatts are to blame for Pete Townshend being deaf now.

But if i can't find a vintage Hiwatt, i think a Marshall 1987 is on the cards, they still are bloody amazing.

Out of interest mate, what gear do you have?

I was strongly considering a plexi, seeing Marshall now sell them new made to extact vintage specs.

But after playing through my mates '72 Custom 20 Hiwatt, i'm pretty much sold on the Hiwatts, their distortion is just so much more meatier and their clean tones are amazing.

Only problem is the Hiwatts are hard to come by and when they do they are expensive.

LOL, and funny thing is my mates Custom 20 Hiwatt through his 212 cab is a shitload louder than his mates JCM800 1/2 stack. I guess Hiwatts are to blame for Pete Townshend being deaf now.

But if i can't find a vintage Hiwatt, i think a Marshall 1987 is on the cards, they still are bloody amazing.

Haha don't laugh, i'm a poor rocker

My gear:

- Marshall MG100DFX

- Epiphone Les Paul w/ Seymore Duncan Pro Humbuckers

- Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah

My guitarist has an AVT50 half stack...so i play through that lol

Haha don't laugh, i'm a poor rocker

My gear:

- Marshall MG100DFX

- Epiphone Les Paul w/ Seymore Duncan Pro Humbuckers

- Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah

My guitarist has an AVT50 half stack...so i play through that lol

Better than mine mate!

I've have owned but sold (bills to pay you see) a:

'96 MIJ Fender Fat Strat

And i still own:

Squier Strat (which im selling to a mate very soon)

3 Acoustics, one which is a Maton CW-80

Cube 15 Practice Amp

I own 1/2 of a Laney LC30 amp (great sounding amp, my brother paid for 1/2 of it too, but i'm let him have it, not without him paying me though lol)

Boss DD-6, Boss CE-2, Maxon T-808 Tubescreamer

I borrow my brothers PRS sometimes, but ever since i but a scratch in it (it was only tiny anyway lol) he wont let me use it.

Oh, and my guitar is comign along really well, almost done, looks awesome so far, painting and set up is only left. Ill try and take some pics tomorrow.v

Ok well i'm looking for a new amp, a tube amp, one suffiant for gigging in clubs and pubs. And no i dont want a 100watt fullstack, its impossible to get power stage distortion on them without melting your ear drums. Maybe a 50 watt 1/2 stack at most. Any susgessions?

Also i found a Hiwatt 50r head on sale 2nd hand for AU$1,101 and im oh so close to buying it. I've heard really really good things about them. I know Hiwatts in general just fucking rule, i mean listern to Pete Townshends and David Gilmours tones, IMHO they are better than Marshalls. But a grande is alot of money, and thats only the head, is it worth spending a grande for really good tone? or should i settle for less?

Thanks,

How big of gigs will you be doing. If you're playing small clubs and stuff, you can probly get by with 30W. I use a 30W Orange right now and it's great. Plus, if it ain't loud enough, you can always mic it. I agree Hiwatts are probly the best out there, but WAY to expensive. You can get an orange 30W combo for $1200. IDK if that's in your price range, but you should check it out.

Johnezz I know you seem to be a purist, but Avt50's are pretty smooth. Even if you want a tube, I have a Marshall VS232 Solidstate, and it sounds amazing when cranked. But if youre looking for full tube....I got nothing. And btw Goddammit, I want some pictures of the progress.

Thanks guys for all your help, really appreciate it. I decided to not buy the Hiwatt (the guy selling it was in the USA anyway and it would cost alot to ship it) So i'm just gonna still hunt to see if any vintage amps come on sale at agood price or i'll go do some more looking around. Like i said before me and my brother own a Laney LC30 II, and its a brilliant amp, though i have just sold my half to my brother so now its all his, and im looking into the VC30 which is also great. And i agree Voltain, a 50watt 1/2 stack is a bit too much for clubs, the 30 watt Laney combo handles my brothers blues jam band with ease in pubs and clubs.

And Axlisold, here you go :lol:

The guitar up to what is it atm (i do have a Bridge and Tuners aswell, and btw those are dunlop strap locks, theres no way im having my baby fall off me lol)

project122fr.jpg

Close up of the fretboard, a got a luither who ive now made mates with to help me finish it as the neck is the hardest part of the whole guitar, it turned out awesome.

project135gb.jpg

Close up of the pickguard, the luither also wired it as i have no soldering skills. It's a 3 way switch (Bridge, Bridge & Neck, Neck) with 2 volume pots (one for each pickup) and a Master tone (which is also a push pull pot to split both the JB and Jazz into single coils). I was originally gonna put a middle single coil in, but ive scrapped that idea now and ill just put a dummy pickup in to fill the gap, no big deal really.

project149qi.jpg

Close up of the wiring

project151qc.jpg

Edited by johnezz