Will from Izzy site talks about his London experience

TheAlien

Hi guys, Will here from Izzys site...

Just got back from an amazing weekend in London. I headed down on Friday hoping that Izzy would have me on the guestlist but without any actual confirmation from him (he had previously put me on the donnington list). Waiting outside the arena for the list to be posted I met up with Axls accountant (who was a damn cool guy).

As it happened Izzy had put me on the list so I managed to get backstage. I crawled and pushed my ass through the filled arena (Bach was already on stage by the time I got in) and when I was front row a guard allowed me to climb over the barrier (apparently I could have used the side door to get backstage but wheres the fun in that?). The first person I saw when walking through the curtain backstage was Izzy... walking towards me in full suit and Converse trainers carrying his guitar case. We were chatting for around 30 minutes... he told me about his life back in Indiana and how the area compared to Glasgow (he knew I'd travelled from Scotland), he showed me how to open beers "the indiana way", talked about his holidays in Baha and how he will enter the races one year. It was a real good mood so I asked if he was tempted to just walk out on stage right there and then and play a solo song or two and he replied saying how much he would love to but probably wasn't allowed He asked what I thought of the new songs and I said I was a fan of 'Better'. Izzy said it was a cool song, and although he hadn't heard any final versions of the songs he had jammed to it a little backstage. He said his favourite song was Chinese Democracy (he even air guitared the riff [***]). Izzy introduced me to George Chin (photographer) and Tommy Stinson. Izzy asked if my pass was okay and said if I had trouble of security guards I could say I was Izzys Admin - "admin get access everywhere". He invited me back for the second show and told me he wouldn't be making the aftershow gig - so I didnt bother going. Walking around backstage I saw two Hells Angels in front of a door called 'Jamming Room'. I walked past them but was pulled back saying no fans were allowed in there. I said I was Izzys admin and they said it didnt make a difference... then Tommy Stinson walked past and said I was cool because I was with Izzy (izz had introduced me to tommy saying I did his site) so they let me walk in. Although Axl wasn't there I went in and saw Robin, Richard and Izzy all jamming away. Another Hells Angel in the room asked who I was and Izzy shouted over saying "No its cool, this guys with me. Hes my web guy" I only got to stay in the room for one song because everyone was being cleared out backstage - I think Axl must have arrived or something - but it was certainly cool for the few minutes I got to watch GNR jamming away.

The show was cool, although the setlist seemed really short to me. Watching Izzy live for the first time (excluding the jam room) was really special.

At the end of the show I basically slept in a hotel lobby, on the streets, in a tube station... I couldnt get a taxi, the buses were filled with GNR fans and just weren't letting more people on, and the hotel next to the arena said it was fully booked. Basically 12,000 fans on the streets [***]. Sunday morning I emailed Izzy asking him to confirm that it was okay for me to come back for that nights show. I told him I missed the aftershow gig and slept on the street with other fans because of the late finish.

I stood around backstage the second night, talking to a couple of fans - Jarmo from htgth being one of them - and they were telling me about the aftershow. When Izzy walked passed he came over and apologised for the terrible show the night before. His words, not mine. He said there was a problem with the sound and couldnt hear very well. The band had been late arriving so I only had a few minutes to talk to Izzy but again he offered me a beer and checked my pass was good. Izzy did something very cool for me before he left which I never had a chance to thank him for in person but I want everyone to know that what he did makes him one of the nicest and most genuine, down to earth people I've ever met.

The gig on Sunday was awesome because when Axl walked off stage Izzy was the only original member of the band left on stage. At the end of Paradise City he went bouncing and jumping off stage... it was so fuckin cool to see Izz live and won't forget this weekend.

I have photos from backstage, none of the band because I didnt want to hassle them, but things like Izzys guitar case (which he asked me to look after whilst he went to get me a beer).

To everyone I met this weekend it was cool to finally meet you all... I hope your weekend was as awesome as mine

Im curious to know if Izzy is actually back in the band again.

Because If we all feel that Izzy was one of, if not the main writing force in the band, then it seems Axl realises this too and has brought him back on board.

Whether it be just for writing purposes, or actually become fully fledged member of the band again and performing full time.

What if he did join the band?

4 guitars and a bass? :blink:

anyone got any thoughts?

Well fortus could take the lead instead of bumblefoot..

awesome story btw

I don't get how that changes anything (while still having 3 rythm guitars?), unless you mean drop ron? :o

im confused??

he apologised for friday nights show??

it was fucking amazing!!

maybe the monitor mix on stage was bad. he has no idea how it sounded in the audience, he can only go by what he hears on stage. if the monitors get all jacked up it can really throw you off. plus, i'm sure he made mistakes that only he would notice. alot of musicians are like that. they think they fucked something up because they missed something, but most listeners wouldn't even notice.

what is the Indianna way of opening a beer? i'm going to say that since it was in the UK most beers don't have twist off caps and you need a bottle opener and he showed the guy how to do it with a cigarette lighter.

Edited by artfromtex

im confused??

he apologised for friday nights show??

it was fucking amazing!!

maybe the monitor mix on stage was bad. he has no idea how it sounded in the audience, he can only go by what he hears on stage. if the monitors get all jacked up it can really throw you off. plus, i'm sure he made mistakes that only he would notice. alot of musicians are like that. they think they fucked something up because they missed something, but most listeners wouldn't even notice.

what is the Indianna way of opening a beer? i'm going to say that since it was in the UK most beers don't have twist off caps and you need a bottle opener and he showed the guy how to do it with a cigarette lighter.

yeah maybe, apparently he started the solo in think about you on the wrong fret, i read in someones review, but no one noticed with all the screaming going on, it was an 'awesome' show, so much better than the dublin one I was at which was my first time seeing guns live.

yeah you could be right about the bottle opening thing, or else with his teeth. it's actually quite easy to open a bottle with a lighter once you get the hang of it. the teeth method though...... i cringe watching people do that.

if it means 4 guitarists, then so be it. if izzy was back in the band, I think that I (and a lot of other people) would finally be able to see this as the true successor to out favourite band. just seeing ax and izz on stage really made my year

Why are we speculating Izzy being back in the band? We know full well that he enjoys his solo career. He is unwilling to work with a singer, coz that was the reason for him turning VR down just 3 years ago. Izzy likes to write, record and tour in his own time, so being a member of one of the biggest Rock bands ever wouldn't fit him at all. Plus the increase in the amount of public attention, fanmail etc. would be phenominal, and we know Izz likes to keep his personal life to himself. Yes it would be good to see him in the band, but we know it won't happen full time, maybe just some shows like what we've seen these past few months. Izzy might be writing with the band, but that doesn't really count as being a member of the band. Plenty of people that aren't in the band have written with G'N'R like West Arkeen, Paul Huge etc.