Guns N Roses AXL is GNR Axl could never be replaced.

someguyintheelevator

I was reminising tonight about the New York Gnr show I saw at the beginning of this summer. How great it was while I was watching the new version of Journey. Journey has a new singer but no matter how hard Journey tries it will never be the same. Sure the new guy is good but he is no Steve Perry.

Thank God Slash or any of the old members aren't running around with a new version of Gnr without Axl. AXL is GNR. Thank You Axl for keeping GNR and keeping the band going. Slash will always be great but he was greater with AXL.

I have seen every lineup of GNR since Appetite. The current lineup is Great!

i agree with out axl GNR wouldent BE GNR

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's no secret Axl didn't write the majority of the music. Izzy, Slash, and Duff would write the music, and Axl would come up with the vocals and vocal melodies.

I don't for one second believe Axl would do/sell as well if he didn't have the GNR name.

I guess that's why Mick Jagger solo sold as well as The Stones :rolleyes:

The truth is however that when Guns N' Roses broke up in 1996/97 unlike his former bandmates Slash, Duff and Matt....he did not have the balls to move on from the break up and accept what happened and to restart his career. The truth is that he is affraid to step out into the real rock world with a band in his own name, and not with that of what was the greatest band ever. Because he knows that his masterpiece album wouldn't be much without the backing of Guns N' Roses songs and without adding the history of the world's greatest band to his own solo band.

I've always looked at it differently than that:

Why should Axl stop using the Gn'R name because other people chose to depart?

See, when you put it this way you are assuming that the decision to leave on the part of the old guys was a flippant one. Like they just woke up one day and decided they had something better to do, so screw Axl. Come on! Just consider how hard it must actually have been. To leave the greatest hard rock band with the greatest frontman ever. Why would anyone just choose to do this? We all know Axl was controlling and we all know the band and him did not see eye to eye for many years. Yet they made it work until 1996/97. They stuck it out for that long and that shows that they tried to make it work. But sometimes you can't, and so members left but it was clearly not a capricious decision. You can bet the farm that it was the last thing they wanted to do. To suggest any less is to discredit their love for the band and that is unfair considering they all lived and died to make the band what it eventually became.

People always say that the members left at different times and so that must mean Axl didn't actually push them out. But do you really think Matt leaving had nothing to do with Duff and Slash being gone? Duff's decision had nothing to do with Slash's? Get real. I would bet that Duff and Matt probably assumed Slash would be back, and when it was apparent he would not then the writing was on the wall as far as their futures in the band.

When you get through it all, IMO, Axl is the least replaceable member of GNR.

I agree with this. I'd rather have Axl with the name than the others and there are various reasons for that. Doesn't mean I think this is GN'R. GN'R was more than just a name. It was a set of songs made by guys who lived what their music was about. GN'R was an attitude, it was volatility, it was anything can happen. Does that recklessness and hard assness come through in the current band? Of course not. It's a totally different vibe. It is cool but it is not the same. I'm not even a stickler about Axl using the name (I've accepted it) but GN'R became synonomous with the old guys, their image and attitude. It just did, this can't be denied.

I'm getting sick of these kind of threads.. dry.gif

Agreed. This is going to be another old vs. new. What is that, like 50 this month? No offense to the thread starter, but threads like this only serve as bait for fans of the old band. I don't want to waste my time defending them (ridiculous, having to defend Slash, Duff, and Izzy on a Guns N' Roses board) but I can't fuckin' help it when their contributions are put down as if they were worthless. We all love the old music, don't we? Here's a tip: read the credits, you might be surprised. :rolleyes:

Edited by KBear

Great post by KBear. The old GN'R was unique but years on I'm glad this band is all about Axl because he was always the most exciting member of the band. We love the old guys and we accept what has happened, it'll never be the same but that doesn't mean it wont get fuckin' great again!

HELLO EVERYBODY,

Im new here, but not to GNR ,

i went to those NYC shows at HAMMERSTEIN, and they were soooooo amazing, i never seen GNR with SLASH and duff, but I did see VELVET RELOVER, and I must say, that VR, is no where near AXL, with his new GUNS------I love SLASH, DUFF, and MATT, but AXL is just easily the best ever, I cant wait to see him, perform live, again!!!!!!!!!!

What people forget though, is that even if the old band stayed together it wouldn't be the same.

People lament how there was an "anything can happen" kind of attitude, well if the old band was together, there wouldn't be an "anything can happen" or an "i don't give a fuck" attitude anymore anyway.

The former GN'R members are very different guys from the street kids who started the band back in '85;

They're not poor, party hardy kids anymore.

These guys are now all middle aged men, with wives and children and big houses and bigger pay cheques than they could've imagined having back in the 80s, bigger pay cheques than many of us will ever see in our lives. Even if the old GN'R had stuck together, it wouldn't have been the same as it was in the good old days because those guys are totally different men than they were in the '80s and '90s.

AXL is GNR.

No he's not. Guns N' Roses is a band not a person .

He is the voice of a band. He is the frontman of a band. But technically, by it's definition, he is NOT a band.

Get the difference?

No. without Axl there would be no gnr.

AXL is GNR.

He is the voice of a band. He is the frontman of a band. But technically, by it's definition, he is NOT a band.

Get the difference?

No shit, but that doesnt make him GNR :monkey:

AXL is GNR.

Get the difference?

Correct, Axl isn't GNR. The biggest part of it, yes. But he's not GNR himself.

AXL is GNR.

Get the difference?

Correct, Axl isn't GNR. The biggest part of it, yes. But he's not GNR himself.

Wow, we partly agree on something in the GNR Discussion section. Never saw this comming...

I think it's ridiculous to assume Axl was the main ingredient to the success of Guns N' Roses. Every band member played an important role in creating the music, defining the sound and solidifying the image that we remember today..

I think we should respect what 5 musicians gave us, instead of playing favorites and reducing ourselves to a stock of overzealous fan boys..

Simply put, it wasn't a brand name for Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven. It was a way of life..

We should be thankful they decided to share it with us..

-Kickingthehabit

I think it's ridiculous to assume Axl was the main ingredient to the success of Guns N' Roses. Every band member played an important role in creating the music, defining the sound and solidifying the image that we remember today..

I think we should respect what 5 musicians gave us, instead of playing favorites and reducing ourselves to a stock of overzealous fan boys..

Simply put, it wasn't a brand name for Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven. It was a way of life..

-Kickingthehabit

yea you're one to talk about playing favorites :sleeper:

-Kickingthehabit

I dont see how anybody can disagree with this, but Im sure somebody will...

-Kickingthehabit

I dont see how anybody can disagree with this, but Im sure somebody will...

You know what, sweetness?

It's unfortunate that someone couldn't look past his apparent animosity towards me for a single moment to appreciate the sentiment behind my post..

It's juvenile, but it should be expected -- and that's the sad part..

-Kickingthehabit

I was reminising tonight about the New York Gnr show I saw at the beginning of this summer. How great it was while I was watching the new version of Journey. Journey has a new singer but no matter how hard Journey tries it will never be the same. Sure the new guy is good but he is no Steve Perry.

Thank God Slash or any of the old members aren't running around with a new version of Gnr without Axl. AXL is GNR. Thank You Axl for keeping GNR and keeping the band going. Slash will always be great but he was greater with AXL.

I have seen every lineup of GNR since Appetite. The current lineup is Great!

I have to agree.

I think of that everytime I hear INXS running around calling itself INXS after Michael Hutchence died. A band without the lead singer can never be the same.

Yeah, its a shame. But now we know AD's just going to see your screename and automaticaly ignore or disagree with what you say, some things cant be acknowledged I guess.

because he's one of the biggest fucking hypocrites on this board. He talks about people playing favorites, when he is further up Slash's ass than YOU are, and he comes on this board everyday to bash Axl Rose and the band we are here to support. All he does is talk out his ass and whine about what was and what could have been if only this happened or that happened. fuck that, this what we have.

Yeah, its a shame. But now we know AD's just going to see your screename and automaticaly ignore or disagree with what you say, some things cant be acknowledged I guess.

because he's one of the biggest fucking hypocrites on this board. He talks about people playing favorites, when he is further up Slash's ass than YOU are, and he comes on this board everyday to bash Axl Rose and the band we are here to support. All he does is talk out his ass and whine about what was and what could have been if only this happened or that happened. fuck that, this what we have.

I think hes one of the best posters on the forum, and it probably easier for me to say that than you because I actually agree with him, but I stand by it. But I havent seen him bash Axl, he just states his opinion and backs it up with facts. If you read closesly and with an open mind you might see that.