Freddie Mercury's Celebration Officially Cancelled

ronaldo9

Late QUEEN Singer FREDDIE MERCURY Slammed By Some Muslims - Aug. 31, 2006

Launch Radio Networks reports: Freddie Mercury would have been 60 years old next Tuesday (September 5), but there's some dispute in his homeland about whether he should be celebrated. The late QUEEN frontman was born Farrokh Bulsara on the East African island of Zanzibar, which is now part of Tanzania, and some conservative Muslims want to block any official recognition of the man or the day. Abdallah Said Ali, who is the leader of the group The Association For Islamic Mobilization And Propagation, wrote to the local culture ministry and said that because the singer was gay and died of AIDS, "Associating Mercury with Zanzibar degrades our island as a place of Islam." Ali also wrote, "Allowing such a function for a person known outside Zanzibar as a homosexual tarnishes the name of Zanzibar... Let us protect our good culture."

Not everyone agrees, however. Simai Mohamed Saidi, who owns a theme restaurant called "Mercury's," is moving forward with a party on Saturday (September 2), and he told the AFP news service, "I plan to ask the authorities to advocate Mercury because he was an artist who advertised Zanzibar abroad."

There's been no official response from the government either for or against honoring Mercury.

According to AFP, Zanzibar is almost 99 percent Muslim, though most are thought to be moderate, and the local government works hard to balance the desires of observant Muslims with the tourism industry and people who lead more secular lives.

Taken from Blabbermouth

Edited by ronaldo9

I just love that some racist, bigoted fucks on here choose to ignore that a lot of the muslims do not agree with this statement and that a muslim even has a restaurant named after the legend, and go on to say 'fuck the muslims' as if it was the majority saying it and not just the leader of a moronic organization.

I just love that some racist, bigoted fucks on here choose to ignore that a lot of the muslims do not agree with this statement and that a muslim even has a restaurant named after the legend, and go on to say 'fuck the muslims' as if it was the majority saying it and not just the leader of a moronic organization.

fuck the muslims. :P

nah, jkjk. But at least there are people there celebrating it. But no matter what, your gonna get people disagreeing with everything. no matter what it is.

TW@

couldn't have said it better myself

Changed for your pleasure.

Fucktards.

Can't they look past his sexuality and realise he was incredible in the time he was alive?

Even Catholics such as myself, we don't care about gays, despite what the Bible says (which people use against us to call us homophobes).

Fuck them.

See, the thing is, the headline says 'some muslims'. You really don't think if Freddie Mercury was from... the Vatican (The Vatican in this hypothetical situation being a proper state), that some people in the Church wouldn't have spoken up against him?

Why do you choose to ignore that some other muslims are off defending him and naming restaurants after him? Are you really that jaded and bigoted toward muslims?

Ok like this...

What/who is mots famous?

Zanzibar or Freddie Mercury?

I think the answer is quite obvious.

It is:

The population of Zanzibar was 981,754 in the 2002 census, and its area is 1,651 km² (637 mi²).

Zanzibar's main industries are spices (cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper), raffia, and tourism. Zanzibar is also the home of the endemic Zanzibar Red Colobus.

Ok like this...

What/who is mots famous?

Zanzibar or Freddie Mercury?

I think the answer is quite obvious.

It is:

The population of Zanzibar was 981,754 in the 2002 census, and its area is 1,651 km² (637 mi²).

Zanzibar's main industries are spices (cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper), raffia, and tourism. Zanzibar is also the home of the endemic Zanzibar Red Colobus.

true.

that is some damn good raffia.

You are almost fooled to believe that this Mercury guy was the lead singer of a band named after a type royal title, and revolutionised the music world with a new sound and was one of the most talented singers ever.

raffia 4 life.