Red Hot Chili Peppers with Mars Volta

adnan

I went with a couple of friends, a guy and a girl, this is important for later information.

Show started right on time, the Mars Volta were even more unstructured and weird live than on record, but it was satisfying and very effective.

Stage change, here's the first surprise of the night, the guitar tech comes out and starts playing.... Guess?? "BETTER"!!! He played the intro several times, people thought he was fucking around but said 'that guy should make a record'. :laugh:

Then Frusciante, Chad, and Flea come out to tumultous applause and started a brilliant instrumental jam, then Anthony came out jumping around like a ball of energy and they kicked into a few classics, then 'Dani California'. You know how on the record, the solo sounds so kickass, but it stops too early? Frusciante plays an elongated solo live that just blew my fucking head off.

They burst through several other sets with bass and guitar and drum solos leading into the songs, and the energy was amazing, I've never seen a concert which still had that sort of energy after a whole hour. During the first hour, the Frusciante solo, Dani California, and "Snow (Hey Oh)" were the highlights, especially the latter which had the whole crowd singing along and Anthony doing some kickass stage moves. It was around this time that my girl friend started drinking way too much and getting a bit on my nerves.

Then what comes along? "Californication"! The crowd reaction to this was absolutely unimaginably huge, everybody had their lighters out and were yelling at the top of their voice, and Frusciante did the most incredible solo you could imagine during the song, by the end of it our hands were numb from applause and our voices were gone, it was one of the greatest live songs I've ever experienced.

They burst through another number of instrumentals and classics, then went off stage to thunderous applause which went on for five whole minutes before they came out for the encore and gave a classic performance of "Give it Away" (during which my friend found it appropriate to basically give an unsuspecting audience member a quasi lapdance, spilling his beer all over everybody near us) and then a brilliant instrumental jam before saying good night and leaving, to more thunderous applause, which spilt out onto the streets, with everybody cranking up the Chili Peppers CD's in their cars to full and singing along and yelling and screaming, all this enthusiasm didn't die down till we reached downtown! It was shocking to see that much enthusiasm after the end of the show, but the Chili Peppers rocked the place, and rocked it HARD.

After leaving the seats, my friend collapsed, and became completely limp, she was passed out from drinking too much. This was not funny at all for me. I started getting genuinely worried when she wouldn't get out of it for a while, then we woke her up with the help ofelsewhere, and she got a court date for underage drinking, but even with all that, we continued partying till 5:30 AM, when I started making my way back over here.

As I walked into the house, I realized that I had just had one of the greatest nights of my life, the Chili Peppers absolutely and completely tore it up. If I liked them before, I am one of their biggest fans now. Frusciante is a blindingly magnificent guitarist, something which is much more evident live than on record. Flea is a magnificent bassist, and Chad is undoubtedly one of the best drummers I've ever witnessed. Anthony- I had my doubts about his vocal ability before, but he holds his own live.

What a truly great experience.

EDIT: Videos found on Youtube:

Dani California with mindblowing solo towards the end!

Snow (Hey Oh), great performance

Can't Stop, one of my favorite performances of the night.

Fortune Faded, great crowd participation, but you can't really hear it here...

Edited by adnan

The tech played better?! That's awesome! :lol:

I'm seeing them on Nov. 5th! **CAN"T WAIT**

The only thing that sucks is I paid ALOT for tix...and my brother just got tickets and a BACKSTAGE PASS from his friend's dad (He knows Chad or something) and i'm SUPER PISSED :anger::anger::anger:

Oh well, i still can't wait! Glad to hear you had a great time, minus your friend passing out.

Guys, I found these vids on youtube, just to give you an idea of how awesome it is, they're all very good quality. This should wet your appetite if you're going to see them sometime this tour:

Dani California with mindblowing solo towards the end!

Snow (Hey Oh), great performance

Can't Stop, one of my favorite performances of the night.

Fortune Faded, great crowd participation, but you can't really hear it here...

I saw them at GM Place, man that kicked ass!

I loved Californication, By the Way, THROW AWAY YOUR TELEVISON! (awesome) and of course all the rest :P

but the real highlight for me was can't stop

i was so pumped and then comes the dun-na dun-na dun-na dun-na dun-na dun-na

and then the huge intro, i went nuts!

Great show!

I loved Californication, By the Way, THROW AWAY YOUR TELEVISON! (awesome) and of course all the rest :P

Great show!

They played all those, it was really a great show, I'll agree with can't stop, it's asskicking live.

I was going to see them in Albany, but it didn't really pan out. I wasn't too eager seeing as I didn't like the new album so much.

They only played Dani California, Warlocks, 21st Century, Snow, and one other from the new album, the rest were all classic hits, including about 3-4 songs from the 80's. It was really a great show though, you should probably go see them if they come around again.

I regret missing the phoenix show last month.

Never was a hardcore fan, i loved blood sugar sex magic but everything after that wasn't that great, in my opinion.... until they released stadium arcadium and completely fucking redeemed themselves in my book. If CD doesn't come out this year, SA will be the album of 2006.

Never was a hardcore fan, i loved blood sugar sex magic but everything after that wasn't that great, in my opinion.... until they released stadium arcadium and completely fucking redeemed themselves in my book. If CD doesn't come out this year, SA will be the album of 2006.

You didn't like "Californication"? Masterpiece in my mind.

You didn't like "Californication"? Masterpiece in my mind.

its not bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Great show!

I was at that show too, fuck was it good. Can't Stop was also my favourite preformance of the night, the energy was crazy. Throw Away Your Television was awesome too, the lighting was spectacular. I was really surprised to hear Fortune Faded actually, and Blood Sugar Sex Magik was amazing.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the review, Adnan!

They played in Stockholm, Sweden last week but I couldnt make unfortunately... My friend was there and had an amazing time.

Here's two pics from the show. No good pics of the band but you can see the cool stage set:

rhcpstockholm1tr7.jpg

rhcpstockholm2ie2.jpg

I paid 450 bucks for front row tickets to see them in March with Gnarls Barkley.

Adan, what did you think of Mars Volta?? I saw them when they opened up for the Chili's in 2003 and they became one of my favorite bands.

I was into the Mars Volta before I saw the show. They played great, but I would love to see them on a headlining tour. The sound system for them was shit, even right at the front.

I couldn't get tickets to see them in Brisbane. Sucks.

I heard on the radio that Anthony uses some sort of automatic control thing live...to keep his voice in the right tune or something :unsure: some sort of voice modification cause he can't keep in tune live. I thought that was pretty lame...