Music Today?

d4mo

The other night I was watching my Poison DVD and it really got me thinking. For those of you that are poison fans(or alot of 80's metal bands for that fact) alot of their videos are clips from concerts and whatnot. Those concerts looked like some of the most fun, kickass concerts to go to, and then when I started thinking that I will never get to experience something so great in my life. I'm 20 and my favorite music is 80's hair metal, so even if I do get to see some of these bands in my life( I have seen Gn'R thank god) it will never be the same experience of when these bands were in there prime. Those concerts and music for that fact were all about having a good time getting trashed and just plain ol' enjoying yourself.

And that leads me to todays music. What the hell is wrong with it. Seriously today's "rock" is utter trash. There is nothing to it, just a couple of douche bags that get together that can play moderatly well, and make shitty music. The whole rock industy has pretty much gone to shit. Everybody these days prefers rap or that pop/rap hybrid shit. Maybe it's because noone in the rock industy has done anything new or interesting in the last 10 years but still it's ridiculous. The only way I get get my new music fix is by listening to Death/Black Metal. Now don't get me wrong...I love this music but a Black/Death Metal concert jsut isn't my cup of tea. People beating the shit outta eachother in a mosh pit isn't the most fun thing in my opinion.

So anyways something needs to happen and it needs to happen soon. Because the fact of the matter is that every year that goes by, my beloved 80's band are getting older and older and is a really depressing thought that I will never get to experience one of those concerts in there glory days.

It's just the times we're in. If you think about it the past was the same way. People dug Kiss but what was popular at the time was Disco. Metal was popular during the 80's but people prefered U2 and the modern British Invasion (at the time). Now, people just dig this new pop music. Although it is more generic than it was in the past, it's what the people want - for the most part - and they're getting it.

I don't know why someone would like being at a poison show, or the recent Motley Crue concerts. I go for the music, not the flying midgets and spinning drumsets :monkey:

Just my two cents, btw.

Oh and trust me, people have done interesting things in the music industry. Pharell, anyone?

Edited by swlabr

I'm not talking about the flying midgets or anything, and I don't know what you mean aobut poison...they always had normal shows. But what I mean is the enviroment the band and the music gives. If you watch the poison videos it was basically them on stage having fun and thats what the music was about. So therefor the crowd will be there to have fun. Now compare that to say a Slayer concert. They don't have fun on stage and the vibe the music gives you it about death and destruction, so people are gonna be moshing and beating the shit outta eachother.

Hope that clarifies my post a little better.

I'm not talking about the flying midgets or anything, and I don't know what you mean aobut poison...they always had normal shows. But what I mean is the enviroment the band and the music gives. If you watch the poison videos it was basically them on stage having fun and thats what the music was about. So therefor the crowd will be there to have fun. Now compare that to say a Slayer concert. They don't have fun on stage and the vibe the music gives you it about death and destruction, so people are gonna be moshing and beating the shit outta eachother.

Hope that clarifies my post a little better.

yeah, woops. im just not into the whole 80s fun sounding music. it got annoying after a while when everyone started jumping the bandwagon. plus poison music turns me off for some reason. as for the midgets, motley loves them.

Edited by swlabr

A shit thread like this pops up every two weeks.

Have you ever thought, that maybe if you'd stop living in the 1980's and would open your mind a little bit, the music could actually be good?

It fucking pisses the shit out of me. Nowadays all you people can do is COMPLAIN. If the music fucking sucks in your opinion, why not fucking do something about it? I mean, I dont care if cant move on, but just dont tell us about how horrible your life is going to be when Bret Michaels dies or something.

I do dig the stuff thats out today. But that doesnt mean I'm not into the older stuff.

The other night I was watching my Poison DVD and it really got me thinking. For those of you that are poison fans(or alot of 80's metal bands for that fact) alot of their videos are clips from concerts and whatnot. Those concerts looked like some of the most fun, kickass concerts to go to, and then when I started thinking that I will never get to experience something so great in my life. I'm 20 and my favorite music is 80's hair metal, so even if I do get to see some of these bands in my life( I have seen Gn'R thank god) it will never be the same experience of when these bands were in there prime. Those concerts and music for that fact were all about having a good time getting trashed and just plain ol' enjoying yourself.

And that leads me to todays music. What the hell is wrong with it. Seriously today's "rock" is utter trash. There is nothing to it, just a couple of douche bags that get together that can play moderatly well, and make shitty music. The whole rock industy has pretty much gone to shit. Everybody these days prefers rap or that pop/rap hybrid shit. Maybe it's because noone in the rock industy has done anything new or interesting in the last 10 years but still it's ridiculous. The only way I get get my new music fix is by listening to Death/Black Metal. Now don't get me wrong...I love this music but a Black/Death Metal concert jsut isn't my cup of tea. People beating the shit outta eachother in a mosh pit isn't the most fun thing in my opinion.

So anyways something needs to happen and it needs to happen soon. Because the fact of the matter is that every year that goes by, my beloved 80's band are getting older and older and is a really depressing thought that I will never get to experience one of those concerts in there glory days.

Pretty sure you just read my mind. :shocked:

I made a thread like this a long while ago and got a bunch of shit for it.

ON TOPIC;

The thing is, that music is never going to be popular again. Kids that are into rock music today only seem to like the stuff that they can commit suicide to or think about how much their life sucks. "Today's rock" seems to have the complete opposite meaning to it than 70's/80's rock. Which really blows. <_<

Yes, their are a few young bands today that resemble Poison/Motley/glam metal bands, etc., but its all underground :( .

I absoulutley love hair metal and I wish it could re-create itself and become popular again but evidently most of our generation either think its retarded or they haven't heard it/given it a chance.

Sorry if none of that made sense... :blink:

To the lovely young lady above, music has its period of popularity. Sadly, the freshness of the 80's has run dry. Not that it's not popular because you'd be surprised. As for change, why would anyone want a genre of music to play the same thing for 20 years? Music has to reinvent itself, and it has.

Have you ever thought, that maybe if you'd stop living in the 1980's and would open your mind a little bit, the music could actually be good?

It fucking pisses the shit out of me. Nowadays all you people can do is COMPLAIN. If the music fucking sucks in your opinion, why not fucking do something about it? I mean, I dont care if cant move on, but just dont tell us about how horrible your life is going to be when Bret Michaels dies or something.

I do dig the stuff thats out today. But that doesnt mean I'm not into the older stuff.

Did I say I was living in the 80's? Did I not say I'm a big Death/Black Metal fan? Or did you not read that part in your rage?

I could open my mind all I want and I'm never going to like fuckin nickleback and green day or whoever else is "popular" these days, and don't even get me started on rap. Secondly people who are into Hair Metal are not the only ones complaining about the music industry today, it's a stagnant pool of piss.

And ParadiseCityGirl...glad to see we are on the same page :D

Did I say I was living in the 80's? Did I not say I'm a big Death/Black Metal fan? Or did you not read that part in your rage?

I could open my mind all I want and I'm never going to like fuckin nickleback and green day or whoever else is "popular" these days, and don't even get me started on rap. Secondly people who are into Hair Metal are not the only ones complaining about the music industry today, it's a stagnant pool of piss.

And ParadiseCityGirl...glad to see we are on the same page :D

And there you lost any of the credibility you had left.

Go cry somewhere else, this is pointless.

I'm just fuming that the threadstarter lumped Gn'R in with Poison. :no:

Not really. I was talking about 80's metal in general. I know Gn'R and Poison are 2 different types of bands but they really aren't that different either.

Actually, GNR is nothing near metal. Influenced? Sure, a bit. But they don't play it. I would rather consider Poison pop.

I'm just fuming that the threadstarter lumped Gn'R in with Poison. :no:

Not really. I was talking about 80's metal in general. I know Gn'R and Poison are 2 different types of bands but they really aren't that different either.

Actually, GNR is nothing near metal. Influenced? Sure, a bit. But they don't play it. I would rather consider Poison pop.

Well it could be considered hair metal then. If you want to get into semantics then 80's Metal would be Maiden, Sabbath, Priest and such.

And that leads me to todays music. What the hell is wrong with it. Seriously today's "rock" is utter trash. There is nothing to it, just a couple of douche bags that get together that can play moderatly well, and make shitty music. The whole rock industy has pretty much gone to shit.

Children Of Bodom have made the BEST FUCKING MUSIC EVER!!!!

And DragonForce are fucking great too. It's Poison who can't make music :rolleyes:

And that leads me to todays music. What the hell is wrong with it. Seriously today's "rock" is utter trash. There is nothing to it, just a couple of douche bags that get together that can play moderatly well, and make shitty music. The whole rock industy has pretty much gone to shit.

And DragonForce are fucking great too. It's Poison who can't make music :rolleyes:

Hey, I love COB. Dragonforce is great too. Sadly they don't tour as much as I would like.

Hey, I love COB. Dragonforce is great too. Sadly they don't tour as much as I would like.

Why do you say Music is shit nowdays if you like this two bands :unsure:

Read my first post...I said I liked Death/Black Metal. But that stuff isn't nearly as popular here as the shitty stuff, so you never get to see it. My original post was more concerning how much concerts have changed anyways.

As for Gn'R category call them w/e you want. I don't care. There not Metal and their no hair metal...there a combination of both. Good enough for u?

Edited by d4mo

great post! :)

People who say music today is rubbish need to get their heads out of their asses and go look beyond the mainstream. Yes, the charts are full of rap, emo and indie shit, but that's not the whole music scene.

There are the most AMAZING bands out there today who are pushing music forwards in ways you can't imagine. The music scene is only bad if you're lazy and choose not to go looking for the good stuff.

Music today is fucking great.

Edited by Slash's Appetite

No shit. Really?

This has been discussed a trillion times, and we've all agreed with it a trillion times.

It's sad but true. I haven't really read all of this thread, but I can see where you're getting on to. It's sad to think that 80's corny metal was replaced by emo.

Edited by Yamisonic

People who say music today is rubbish need to get their heads out of their asses and go look beyond the mainstream. Yes, the charts are full of rap, emo and indie shit, but that's not the whole music scene.

There are the most AMAZING bands out there today who are pushing music forwards in ways you can't imagine. The music scene is only bad if you're lazy and choose not to go looking for the good stuff.

Music today is fucking great.

I have friends that listen to all sorts of crazy underground stuff. I've heard a whole lot of this new music that you are refering to...

I still think it sucks. Occasionally there will be a song or two.... but overall the music really REALLY lacks structure (the response will be "all your rock is formulaic" but there's a difference between not conforming to a formula and being a jumbled mess without structure)... it always sounds like it's tripping over itself...

And/or there are bands that are soooooo into their whacky chords that they never insert a cadence, so it's like audible Chinese water torture, always expecting and NEEDing the satisfying nice cadence, but never getting it.

You can tell that each musician has talent, usually. But the thing is that it seems they all want the spotlight, instead of working together to create a solid overall product. So that's why it sounds like it's tripping over itself.