What did you think of the concert?

CoolHandLuke

'em i the only one feeling that some people are little overexaggerating? :drevil:

The show was great but not the best. Novarock, Donington and Wembley owns this one's arse. :kiss:

No, you're not the only one. These people apparently haven't had the chance to see any other show. That's all I can guess. This band has sounded that good since May 12th... only difference is Ron fitting in a little better now.

End of story.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a more realistic, unbiased summary I wrote in another thread:

I was at the show last nite.

I was sitting center stage in Loge seating. The crowd was very good for the most part, but the band did lose the crowd after 'Beautiful'. Actually, during the 1st part of Fortus' solo when he was actually playing a solo, there was a lot of applause because people were amazed by his talent.......and then he went straight into Beautiful, and people were like WTF. They got the crowd back during My Michelle & Patience, though.

And the place went crazy during Paradise City.

It was a great show. The band sounded great. And more importantly, Axl sounded very good. The audio mix was awesome at the show. It wasn't their greatest show, but wasn't bad by any means. Was a VERY good show.

One thing though........I really think before or after the band plays a new song, Axl should let the audience know it's a new song, because a large portion of audience doesn't know about the New GN'R. This way, they won't react like "what was that?"

Can't wait to see them again at the Gibson Amphitheatre in December.

Edited by Superhuman55

i didnt see the show but apparently it was the usual boring setlist. nothing we havent heard before

But when you think about it, most (non-hardcore) of the fans there would still find the setlist great, because they aren't monitoring what gets played every night like we all do :P

One thing though........I really think before or after the band plays a new song, Axl should let the audience know it's a new song, because a large portion of audience doesn't know about the New GN'R. This way, they won't react like "what was that?"

Can't wait to see them again at the Gibson Amphitheatre in December.

While a newbie here, I will support this claim as someone in attendance in Loge 6 - also in the location of the bottle-tossing extravaganza...

Not one song was 'introduced' last night. A majority of the crowd was clueless to the 'new' songs. I agree it doesn't help that GNR does not state they are 'new' or what the titles are. No different than a band touring before a new album comes out and says 'this is new' so people are attentive, but the same vibe is lacking b/c of unfamiliarity. That changes once people have the album, then attend the concert...

The crowd reaction was a complete 180 for 'singles' that most people know. For those clamouring for the UYI1 songs it's not going to happen. A majority of the crowd would not even know these songs. Sorry. Things like locomotive, BOB, Dead Horse, etc. would not be well received.

The solos are a performance killer. Once the bad gets rocking and the crowd is into it, a solo comes up to slow down the veracity of the show/audience. The fact that Axl continously leaves the stage during songs leads me to believe he is going back stage for oxygen. He did this more than 10x last night and most notably to finish off songs like YCBM, Paradise, Madagascar, etc. I don't think at this point Axl can perform 2-3 'faster' songs that rely on his voice in a row. Hence, the solos to provide breather time. Just my opinion, but this was the same thing in Vegas.

Re: crowd leaving early - this 'invasion' is a long day and GNR is not the band you want to finish a festival type show after being there for 10-12+hrs and waiting for them, in typical fashion, to appear. People were tired before GNR came on, let alone realizing it was already 12 and they were half-way through the set. I'm glad people left early b/c it didn't take forever to leave. Knowing GNR would not arrive on time, I planned accordingly and arrived later in the day. Hey, I missed Buckcherry, but I was not showing up THAT early b/c i knew what was going to happen later in the night. [i had little interest in seeing any band before AIC]It's no surprise, on the nightrain or not...

While a newbie here, I will support this claim as someone in attendance in Loge 6 - also in the location of the bottle-tossing extravaganza...

Dude, I was in Loge 7, and some guy next to me got hit in the face with a FULL bottle of water.

His whole lip bust open and was gushing blood.

The whole bottle tossing thing was fucking stupid.

But then again....Axl shouldn't have taken 1 hour and 35 minutes to take the stage.

Dude, I was in Loge 7, and some guy next to me got hit in the face with a FULL bottle of water.

His whole lip bust open and was gushing blood.

The whole bottle tossing thing was fucking stupid.

But then again....Axl shouldn't have taken 1 hour and 35 minutes to take the stage.

Yeah, my girl and i moved down about 15 rows where it was too far for the lawn to reach us. the whole started with a guy in the last two rows of loge 6 - no shirt, hat on, turned around and gave the double finger to the lawn. then, the bottle fling started. people were asking him to stop, but he was an idiot and egged the lawn on. security couldn't do anything.

part of it was this guy, the other was people were tired from a long day and just wanted GNR to come on. The lawn looked like cattle stuck to a fence...

I was there. In the lawn. Just like Vegas, the show comes to a CRASHING halt as soon as they start with the solos. All energy was squandered. He never got the crowd back.

Later in the set, there'd be a burst of applause when a popular song would come on and some applause at the end. But most people were sitting on their hands. New songs were greeted with absolute silence. I've never heard so many people at a rock concert be so quiet.

There was some little girl in front of me who knew the leaks. She sang along to Madagascar, but clamped up as soon as as she realized everyone was laughing at the song. I felt sorry for her. She wanted to believe in Axl. I used to too.

The band came out for their predictable encore when nobody was cheering. The place was fucking packed when fake Alice in Chains came on. Halfway through GnR's set, it had substantially thinned out. My friends and I were about ten - fifteen rows back in the lawn. By the end, we were up to the front. Just wasn't much competition.

Baz got a round of applause when he came out, but that quickly turned to laughter. Old people had to explain to kids who Skid Row was and why they should care that some other guy is singing a song he didn't write or record, backed by a band that didn't write or record it.

There were chants for Slash. There were chants of "no more solos." But mainly, there was just apathy. Several people mentioned how this was the exact same show they'd seen twenty years ago. I saw Ozzfest at the same venue a couple of years ago. Back then, it took me two hours just to get out of the parking lot. This time, the lot was seventy-five percent empty by the time we got back.

On the walk back to the parking lot, people were laughing and talking about how great guns n' roses used to be. It was sad. I saw heroes die last night. It hurt my heart.

Again, most people around me had no idea that Slash wasn't in the band. Congrats Merck, you're doing an ace job of keeping the lid on Axl's embarrasing little secret.

The most excited the crowd was during the performance doesn't even come close to the excitement before Axl took the stage, when everyone was throwing shit at each other and chanting "fuck you" to Axl because, apparently, twenty-thousand screaming fans isn't enough motivation to get Axl to take the stage on time and try to rescue his career from the shitter.

The only way for this to change is for his new band to release their album and play their own songs. They might fail, but at least they'll be failing on their own.

A heartbreaking night. I miss Axl. I wish Guns N' Fuckin' Roses could rule the world. I was drunk off whiskey and stumbling around the parking lot. All I could mumble is "rock is dead."

Wow, that's a pretty bleak view. It translated better over a web feed and the band certainly put on a good show. Your comment about the crowd being silent...I definitely noticed that the crowd was dead silent during Ron's Don't Cry solo. Whereas, back at RIR, it seemed everyone in the crowd sung along. There are probably various reasons for this, as kingsrule said I'm sure one of them is that it was a long day for most of those folks.

During fake Alice in Chains, all I could see behind me was bodies. By GandR's encore, you could see clear back to the fence.

Maybe they loved the concert so much that they all rushed home to buy tickets for the next date in the tour.

Maybe because the bottle throwing that entered the 20-25 rows of the loge all around + the fires/bottles on the lawn might have been a factor as to why there were significantly less people during GNR. Why stay for your so-called "highlight" when people can/were injured by idiots?

No one inthe lower loge and orchestra left 'early' during GNR... It was the back of the loge and the lawn, ie. where the 'danger' was.

no offense, but trying to watch a show IN FRONT OF YOU and thinking about debris being tossed your way with your back turned is more than enough reason to say 'im out of here.'

First off, I'm from Philadelphia so I as soon as I found out my computer can do the webcast streaming, I jumped the oppurtunity. For all I know this could be the closest thing I can get to a LIVE GN'R show. So there I was, sitting on my computer at 1 am waiting for gn'r. When they finally came on at around 1:45, I was ready. They burned through Jungle, Easy and Brownstone like it's nobody's business. Fuckin right. Then LALD. Fuckin awesome especially towrds the end (to anyone who's already seen it) when axl was really pushing the scream and he was like freaking out and shaking. I also want to note real quick that this 44year old singer was running around like a cheetah across the stage any chance he got, without missing a beat. Then finck solo- pretty good. I never really listen to the solos and they're ok. I never noticed this but did anyone else notice that when robin plays, he's moving around like he standing on hot coals, moving his legs and feet up and down and he's taking pain just to rock out on his guitar. Pretty cool. SCOM, KOHD(especailly the end), YCBM--all perfect. Dizzy solo was amazing (ziggy stardust) and the blues just get to me everytime its played. Such a beautiful song I cant take it. Then Richard solo-again pretty good. Out ta get me was cool as shit. I dont know why everyone thinks this should be off the setlist. This song has such rage pissed-off agression its great. November rain WAS november rain. enough said. When BETTER was played I know not alot of people knew it there, but by the end of the song the crowd was roaring. And that was the best performance of that song period. My michelle with BAZ. Those guys together is solid gold. I love it. Then bumblefoot solo--He's an insane guitar player. alittle bit of "little wing" by jimi hendrix then all of dont cry. He's such a genuis for using that for his solo. IRS- I was looking foreward to this song being amazing because I loved the perfarmance at ROCK AM RING and it was only ok. But like BETTER by the end, the crowd loved it. Patience was sounding like it was 88 all over again. I loved it. Night train- i fucking love this new band performing this song. during this song, axl is perfectly on cue. the band is perfectly on cue and everytime I love seeing bumblefoot tear the shit out of that song. Pure fucking rock and fucking roll. The encore was rocket Queen (real good performance) Madagascar (amazing oerformance) and of course Paradise City. I dont know what to say. I love every second of this. These guys played 2 hrs and 15 min. until (for me) 4 in the morning. I didnt care. If this performance didnt convert naysayers, they dont like rock n' roll. No fuck that, they dont like music, period. There is a passion in these guys. They put on a show. A real fucking show. Sorry this was long but I like reading the reviews all the time on this forum so i thought id give back and write one. Peace.

Well although I thought I was going to die as Guns was late on stage and everyone started attacking each other with projectiles and flaming articles of clothing, this was the best show of my life. Not because of the crowd or anything (most of the people in the lawn were retards as evidenced by the bottles/fire), but because of the amazing show they put on. I don't care if the bunch of uncultured twits around me couldn't appreciate the beauty of The Blues, I was there to see the band for ME. And I was NOT dissapointed with it at all.

I will agree that once the solos started, they never really got the audience back. I don't have a problem with solos, but they were WAY too long. And I love Finck and Bumble and Fortus and Dizzy and *I* enjoy listening to them perform for extended amounts of time but for the rest of the crowd who knew nothing of the new band and was already ADD enough to resort to senseless violence after having waited twenty to thirty minutes... it doesn't work. (Talk about a run on sentence.) I'm not saying remove solos, 'cause they work as great intros for the songs, but please just make them shorter. They wouldn't have lost the audience if the solos were short one/two minute intros to songs.

And I also agree that the "new" songs should have been properly introduced. A lot of people around me were in "wtf?" mode when the notes to The Blues started.

Anyways, all in all the best concert and one of the best nights of my life. Even though the whole crowd didn't appreciate it as much as I did, I still loved every second of it.

Plus it was my birthday and I'd driven about ten hours to get there and watched every single band before Guns so I better have loved it. ;)

Edited by Mav23

During fake Alice in Chains, all I could see behind me was bodies. By GandR's encore, you could see clear back to the fence.

Maybe they loved the concert so much that they all rushed home to buy tickets for the next date in the tour.

Maybe because the bottle throwing that entered the 20-25 rows of the loge all around + the fires/bottles on the lawn might have been a factor as to why there were significantly less people during GNR. Why stay for your so-called "highlight" when people can/were injured by idiots?

No one inthe lower loge and orchestra left 'early' during GNR... It was the back of the loge and the lawn, ie. where the 'danger' was.

no offense, but trying to watch a show IN FRONT OF YOU and thinking about debris being tossed your way with your back turned is more than enough reason to say 'im out of here.'

Another bullshit excuse. There were WAY bigger fires when I saw Priest play there. Nobody went running. It's a fucking rock concert. If you want a safe night, go play Bingo with your grandma.

People left because the concert was boring to anyone but the biggest die hard fans.

Hey lawnboy -

I highly doubt it was a coincidence that only the last 20 rows of the loge around the entire pavilion were vacant after the bottle throwing. People moved down or left. It's that simple.

So, rock concert = acceptable violence and fire on the lawn? :sleeper:

Great show

Finck really impressed me with his solo and performance on The Blues but later on he picked up the butchers knife and started chopping away like always, wich was kind of a shame.

But the band sounded really tight, the jams were pretty cool and I liked some of their renditions of the old songs, and the new songs they played sounded awsome

I would have liked to hear Chinese Democracy or There Was A Time but the setlist was still pretty good

Overal it was just a great show, I was very impressed

are you a moron or are you just set on bashing finck? Have you watched enough shows to realize he plays the songs the way he plays them and he has more leads then anyone else for good reason? Finck owns that stage and he owns your mom.

I think the main problem with the show was that it wasn't tailored to the audience. This was a rock festival with lots of people who only knew the hits and were there to see Axl and couldn't care less for who else was on the stage.

I too would have liked to hear Nice Boys, but most of the people there would have no idea what was going on.

(I was hoping to experience the atmosphere with true GN'R fans this Friday in Bakersfield, however with the postponements this dream will have to wait a few months.)

Edited by Mav23

Great show

Finck really impressed me with his solo and performance on The Blues but later on he picked up the butchers knife and started chopping away like always, wich was kind of a shame.

But the band sounded really tight, the jams were pretty cool and I liked some of their renditions of the old songs, and the new songs they played sounded awsome

I would have liked to hear Chinese Democracy or There Was A Time but the setlist was still pretty good

are you a moron or are you just set on bashing finck? Have you watched enough shows to realize he plays the songs the way he plays them and he has more leads then anyone else for good reason? Finck owns that stage and he owns your mom.

dude chill, i love finck as well. i think he's a really good performer and is extremely creative. But give the guy his opinion. I was actually shocked he gave a semi - kinda praise for finck. But he's entitled to an opinion like you and I. No need for insults man.

Great show

Its never fucking good enough is it?

One of the few times I say something positive about the guy and a Fick lover still finds something wrong with my opinion. Go fuck yourself King Penis

Im not set on anything, Finck just stumbles his way through the old songs, it isnt my fault.

Great show

One of the few times I say something positive about the guy and a Fick lover still finds something wrong with my opinion. Go fuck yourself King Penis

Im not set on anything, Finck just stumbles his way through the old songs, it isnt my fault.

If you want to say something positive just leave it at that. none of this but or although bullshit. I can't think of anything to bitch about regarding last night's legendary show in the Inland Empire.

Great show

If you want to say something positive just leave it at that. none of this but or although bullshit. I can't think of anything to bitch about regarding last night's legendary show in the Inland Empire.

I said what I thaught about the concert, wich is exactly what the thread asks. Im not going to censor what I think because it might piss off Finck fans, so tuff shit.

And yeah, it was a great show, but LEGENDARY? :rofl-lol: You need to get out more dude, see some more concerts.