Cobain was a good plagiarist

Gallagher Rose

Guest cherry_bomb

so were/are a lot of artists. nothing's original anymore, on a subconcious level everything we hear now is influenced by something else.

but the bealtes were good.

well thats interesting because so were nirvana :)

Beatles- did things that musically had never been done before, and (with the exception of Ringo and somewhat Paul) were extraordinary musicians and songwriters

Nirvana- knew power chords and basic drumming, wrote decent-at-best lyrics, and just played the music that was popular at the time

Grunge doesn't have to fit a formula. Musically, Pearl Jam do a lot of incredible stuff. They use different types of layering with their sound and do a great jub of taking a distort pedal and heavy drums and making music with them. Nirvana just made noise and complained into a microphone, called it music, and went home for the day.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Nirvana- knew power chords and basic drumming, wrote decent-at-best lyrics, and just played the music that was popular at the time

Are you really serious? It wasn't popular until Nirvana.

Beatles- did things that musically had never been done before, and (with the exception of Ringo and somewhat Paul) were extraordinary musicians and songwriters

Grunge doesn't have to fit a formula. Musically, Pearl Jam do a lot of incredible stuff. They use different types of layering with their sound and do a great jub of taking a distort pedal and heavy drums and making music with them. Nirvana just made noise and complained into a microphone, called it music, and went home for the day.

the biggest pile of shit I've read in a long time.

im repeating myself so often around here its incredible. first of all paul n ringo were ETXREMELY necessary parts of the beatles n WERE extra ordinary musicians, especially paul, there'd hardly be a beatles without him.

and WHAT is wrong with only knowing power chords n basic drumming, what is wrong with minimalism, what is wrong with that?? i dont get it. i think done in the right way it makes for really powerful music. everybody does NOT want to play like fuckin jimi hendrix, why is it so many people find that so difficult to believe. personally i think lyrics are like...secondary anyway like kurt cobain said many a time, nirvana set out to make music that was evocative of an emotion n for a WHOLE lotta people, it was n THAT is what makes em great. i find it SOOOOO incredibly stuck up of people who bang on about power chords yada yada, cuz in that case elvis little richard eddie cochran chuck berry ALL sucked cuz they only played 3 chord songs n their lyrics were decent at best i mean, rock it to the east rock it to the west she's the girl that i love best??? psshh!!! i coulda written that. oh wait, rock n roll wouldnt be what it was without em, are u gettin the point a little here? whats paramount, above all else in music is passion n nirvana had that by the fuckin bucketload n there werent no pose involved, i have seen so few as naturalistic as kurt cobain. they were a three membered powerhouse of a fucking band that made a better more concise noise than a lotta arena rock bands. i dunno where musicianmanship comes into this, they played the typa music they wanted to play.

Basic drumming? Grohl is like the best drummer out there.

the biggest pile of shit I've read in a long time.

Shame it's true...

Led Zeppelin's (arguably) two most well known songs - Stairway to Heaven and Whole Lotta Love 'ripped off' old blues songs, I forget which ones.

You don't need to be able to play well to make good songs.

If Cobain was such a rubbish songwriter and musician, why don't you make something better? If it's so much better surely you'll sell more albums than Nirvana did.

Led Zeppelin's (arguably) two most well known songs - Stairway to Heaven and Whole Lotta Love 'ripped off' old blues songs, I forget which ones.

"Whole Lotta Love" was basically a cover of "You Need Love". "Stairway to Heaven" isn't remotely based on any Blues song.

If Cobain was such a rubbish songwriter and musician, why don't you make something better? If it's so much better surely you'll sell more albums than Nirvana did.

So record sales determine a song's value? Apparently, Britney Spears is better than Cinderella, then....

I think Paul was/s is a really good songwriter

I don't think he's bad, persay, I just don't think he's in the same league as John or George. Paul's songs always seemed a bit more commercial to me than Lennon's or especially Harrison's. I loved the stuff that John and George wrote, particularly the stuff that messes around with all the psychadellic motifs. I don't claim to know that much about the Beatles as I'm not particularly into them, but Paul always seemed to be a more modernistic songwriter, while John and George always seemed more forward-thinking (if that makes any sense).

Basic drumming? Grohl is like the best drummer out there.

Better than Ginger Baker? That's just ridiculous.

He's great though.

I don't think he's bad, persay, I just don't think he's in the same league as John or George. Paul's songs always seemed a bit more commercial to me than Lennon's or especially Harrison's. I loved the stuff that John and George wrote, particularly the stuff that messes around with all the psychadellic motifs. I don't claim to know that much about the Beatles as I'm not particularly into them, but Paul always seemed to be a more modernistic songwriter, while John and George always seemed more forward-thinking (if that makes any sense).

I think you need to get into The Beatles then.