Your Top 5 Songwriters

adnan

1. Bob Dylan:

dylan.jpg

Is it possible that anyone will ever be a greater songwriter than Dylan? One of the greatest poets ever, and he has an immense sense of music.

2. J.J. Cale:

guitar1.jpg

There has never been an artist more honest and true than J.J. Cale. He could have had a gigantic music career but instead chose to live a quiet life, sporadically releasing some of the greatest country, rock, and even blues ever recorded.

3. Bruce Springsteen:

bruce-main.jpg

Two months ago, Bruce would have been in 7th or 8th place, but I've been listening to his albums more recently, and he's not only a great poet, but a remarkable craftsman and musician. It's hard to dig deep into his music when you're enjoying the sounds of one of his several great backing bands, but the lyrical content and song structure plant him firmly in 3rd place.

4. Brian Wilson:

GetMC_wilson44.jpg

A genius, that's all I can say. Wrote some of the greatest pop/rock songs in history, and some of his arrangements were absolutely incredible. He wrote most of 'Pet Sounds' and that's enough to make him one of the best songwriters ever.

5. Steve Winwood:

SteveWinwoodpic.gif

"Higher Love"

"Can't Find My Way Home"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Bob Dylan

Simply the greatest, wether it be honest and simple love songs or full blown epic story's his sense of rhyme and melody is amazing and hes done it consistently over 40 years and continually reinvented himself, genius.

2. Nick Cave

Pretty much the modern day Dylan, altho much darker. Writes about brilliant subjects such as murder, heartbreak, religion and death, can be insane one moment and then totally beautiful the next and the bad seeds are an amazing backing band.

3. Morrissey

Never understood people who call him depressive, sure alot of the smiths stuff was about isolation and loneliness but most of the time his lyrics were just so funny and witty, probaly the most original lyricist ever and the one i relate to more than anyone

4. Jeff Buckley

Grace is my favourite album ever so i had to put Buckley on here, like van morrisson he was essentially a poet who was brilliant at creating images in your mind, amazingly passionate and tragic

5. Brian Wilson

Like adnan said he probaly deserves it for pet sounds alone, under all the brilliant harmonies and musical parts is some of the greatest and most simple lyrics about teenage longing, love and confusion which i still relate to, pretty much the perfect album

Eric Clapton

Now, I'm likely one of the craziest most fanatic Clapton fans you'll ever meet, and although I respect Clapton's artistic integrity (attempting to shake his status as guitar god and become a respected artist), and sometimes excellent songwriting, what on Earth makes him one of the top 5? Aside from "Layla", "Tears in Heaven", "Presence of the Lord", and a few others, there's only enough quality material to put him in the top 30.

Slim Motherfuckin Shady eminem01.jpg

I was going to include him but then I remembered Winwood.

"Stan" alone gets him a top ten place.

winwood?!?!

Steve Winwood, number 5 on my list, of the bands the Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith, and a solo career.

Slim Motherfuckin Shady eminem01.jpg

I was going to include him but then I remembered Winwood.

"Stan" alone gets him a top ten place.

winwood?!?!

Steve Winwood, number 5 on my list, of the bands the Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith, and a solo career.

sorry, brainfart! duh! :rofl-lol:

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
5. Brian Wilson

Like adnan said he probaly deserves it for pet sounds alone, under all the brilliant harmonies and musical parts is some of the greatest and most simple lyrics about teenage longing, love and confusion which i still relate to, pretty much the perfect album

He didn't write any lyrics on Pet Sounds though.

Eric Clapton

Now, I'm likely one of the craziest most fanatic Clapton fans you'll ever meet, and although I respect Clapton's artistic integrity (attempting to shake his status as guitar god and become a respected artist), and sometimes excellent songwriting, what on Earth makes him one of the top 5? Aside from "Layla", "Tears in Heaven", "Presence of the Lord", and a few others, there's only enough quality material to put him in the top 30.

Hmm, you see I don't really care about whether he's widely regarded as a respected "guitar god", all I know is that I like his songs. So maybe I can't really justify my putting his name down! But there we go, I did anyway...

But how come nobody agrees with me on the Joni front though? Now that, I think is unjustifiable. Her songs move me more than any other musicians I can think of right now. :)

5. Brian Wilson

So?

Lyrics aren't everything. And his lyrics on other albums are excellent anyhow.

5. Brian Wilson

So?

Well this thread is about lyrics. Top songwriters, not composers :)

5. Brian Wilson

So?

Songwriting refers to lyrics and composing.

According to Wikipedia: "A songwriter is someone who writes the lyrics to songs, the musical composition or melody to songs, or both. That is to say, a songwriter is a lyricist, a composer, or both."

5. Brian Wilson

So?

According to Wikipedia: "A songwriter is someone who writes the lyrics to songs, the musical composition or melody to songs, or both. That is to say, a songwriter is a lyricist, a composer, or both."

Okay , I see.

I just understood this thread as it were about who's the best to write lyrics, and I think some of the others in this thread also was under that impression

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

5. Brian Wilson

So?

Okay , I see.

I just understood this thread as it were about who's the best to write lyrics, and I think some of the others in this thread also was under that impression

Brad credited the lyrics to Brian Wilson, that's the only reason I pointed it out.