Thunder Road

worldwideboss

The Best song ever written. The honesty, the poetical maestry, the keyboards, the E Street Band in great shape, the emotion in Bruce's voice... Just magical.

"So you're scared and you're thinking

That maybe we ain't that young anymore"

"You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright

Oh and that's alright with me"

"All the redemption I can offer, girl, is beneath this dirty hood"

"Well the night's busting open

This two lanes will take us anywhere"

"And my car's out back if you're ready to take that long walk

From your front porch to my front seat"

"The door's open but the ride it ain't free"

"And I know you're lonely and there's words that I ain't spoken

But tonight we'll be free, all the promises'll be broken"

I mean, it's not often that someone pulls off so many memorable lines in one single song...

I made a thread about this song a couple of months ago. I'll just copy and paste what I wrote:

The opening song to arguably The Boss' greatest album in his career, Thunder Road is a classic rock n' roll anthem that everyone can relate to. It sets the bar for the rest of the album, Born To Run, which does not fail to deliver. In my opinion- this is Bruce's finest song of his long illustrious career.

The song slowly unfolds with the lonely resonance of the piano accompanied by the whining sound of the harmonica. In just those few seconds, the scene has been set and the listener has entered 5 minutes of pure magic. Bruce begins the song almost mimicking the sound of the harmonica before him, letting the words flow from his unmistakable voice with a twinge of sorrow. The listener is told of a woman, Mary, dancing to Roy Orbison on the radio in celebration of her graduation. As the song unfolds some more we learn of a man, presumably Bruce, ready to take off into the big world to find a future and wants Mary to come with him. Her obvious apprehension is apparent as Bruce beautifully sings "Don't run back inside, darling you know just what I'm here for/ So you're scared and you're thinking/ That maybe we ain't that young anymore" and the lines that follow are laced with sincerity but untinged naiveté- "You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright/ Oh and that's alright with me"- clear definition of lyrical perfection.

As if it didn't need a better cue the first strings are plucked on the electric guitar and it subtly enters the song which is now in full swing. The song continues to build up to the final crescendo with Bruce wailing the final line of the song- "It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win"- the guitars are in overdrive and a wailing sax joins the groove as the song begins to fade out- perhaps symbolic of the unclear future of this boy's life?

Thunder Road is a timeless classic that can touch the heart of anyone who listens to it.

"You can hide `neath your covers and study your pain

Make crosses from your lovers, throw roses in the rain

Waste your summer praying in vain

For a saviour to rise from these streets"

My favourite lines from a very powereful song from a great album, especially when you consider it to a so called classic like Slippery when wet which is a complete ripoff and is laughable in the face of Born to run's genius. Always loved the track Night, such an uplifting song

Edited by Nightrain_Kid

• 5 months later...

For a long time I wrote Springsteen off because of the overexposure that came with Born in the U.S.A. Then I heard one of my favorite bands do a cover of Born to Run. I went out and bought the Born to Run box set and Thunder Road blew me away at first listen. To be fair though the album is meant to be listened to from beginning to end though so it's hard to say which is best.

Anyone that hasn't gotten the box set really should-the Hammersmith DVD is worth the price alone.

Guest knerken
Watching this:

You just dont get better than that, IMHO its a much better version than the studio one, and thats saying alot.

Oh my god. :shocked:

I have never been a real fan of this song, but this video was simply amazing. One of the best videos I've ever seen.

I don't have words.