recording

hey

hopefully we got some people here who know about using software and stuff. normally someone does it for me :rolleyes: but i decided to use little home recording software, so i tried kristal software. it`s free and actually pretty easy to use.

but how do i get all the layers together. if i record three layers and save it, it`s gonna give me three layers saved. so how do i make "one song" out of this, so i can burn it on cd or something???

thanks guys and sorry i am not into this stuff ;)

hey

hopefully we got some people here who know about using software and stuff. normally someone does it for me :rolleyes: but i decided to use little home recording software, so i tried kristal software. it`s free and actually pretty easy to use.

but how do i get all the layers together. if i record three layers and save it, it`s gonna give me three layers saved. so how do i make "one song" out of this, so i can burn it on cd or something???

How do you record through your computer?

hey

How do you record through your computer?

You need an audio interface and recording software.

ok i figuerd it out. mix down is the word.

@joe and all you need is a pc, a line in and a software. if you have no clue about this, like i do ;) try krital, freeware and very easy and you can learn some basics about recording stuff and play around a little bit or if you have an idea just lay it down.

so thanks for the help.

"Line In" can refer to either analog (like the microphone port on your computer) or digital (like a USB or Firewire interface).

Unless you have a good soundcard, you'd be better off going with a USB or Firewire input- they'll give you more control over the sound going in to the computer. USB interfaces are cheaper than Firewire, but will usually get more latency (delay from when you play until you hear it), but a decent USB interface will get you almost no latency at all.

Here is a link to some USB interfaces:

http://www.americanmusical.com/sort.aspx?U...amp;m=05_24_446

USB vs. Firewire and latency is pure bullshit.

For the amount of recording you will do the COMPUTER you are recording on will decide your latency. Santana you are COMPLETELY wrong. Sorry bro, but you are WAY out....

The main difference between is USB and Firewire 400 is that FireWire 400 is self-powered. Where USB 2.0 isn't really. Watch out if you got USB 1.1 or 2.0. That might affect your recording aswell.

At the end of the day it's your computer that decides the latency. Aswell as computer setup.

Pro Tools works better with two disks in NON RAID configuration. As PT doesn't work with RAID setups.

Cubase can benefit from RAID arrays. (RAID = Multible disks chained together, either mirrored or striped, meaning you can split your data to 2, 3 or 4 different hard drives. Some RAIDS offer 8 disks. This you don't need). Pro Tools needs a compatible external drive or an internal drive that you can swap map. Pro Tools writes between the two disks to bypass possible latency.

For home production up to 16 tracks in 48hz you don't need an external drive NOR worry about FireWire or USB soundcards. Simply because USB 2.0 offeres the same bandwith as FireWire 400. Firewire 800 offers more, But firewire 800 can only be found in RME's card, RME FireFace 800. This soundcard you DON'T need. And the FireWire 800 port DOES NOT give you lower latency nor better soundquality. The pros of FW800 is simply more datastream. It's not even clear if it's worth it, so 99% of the manufacturers keep it down to USB and FW 400.

Your choice of DAW (recording software) is another thing.

I recommend Pro Tools for people who don't want to fuck around too much with sampling and virtual instruments. (VST and VSTi, a CUBASE/NUENDO standard).

Pro Tools maps up your different channels quickly and the soundcard is mapped to pro tools by default.

Cubase requires a little work to get up n working. I'm not Cubase fluent, but I work in Cubase, Logic and Pro Tools. For songwriting I would say Logic and Cubase are the best. For user friendliness I would say Pro Tools 7.2 is the best. The new Pro Tools 7.x Midi works great now too.

You can use EZ drummer or Reason to get a simple drum track. I would recommend EZ drummer since it's Drag n Drop and has OK beats for demo recording. You can get DFH Superior expansion pack or Vintage drummer expansion packs. Reason is more flexible but I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie.

Cubase has the benefit of Stylus RMX and countless of other VST instruments and sampling programs you can use. Like I said, it's a bit harder to use. But it's all based upon taste and what you learn from scratch.

Logic 7, though only on MAC is a great tool. it has built in samples (Logic 7 PRO) and it has built in midi instruments that can be used for demos and songwriting, arrangements... etc etc...

Logic 7 Express is a crippled version of Logic 7 Pro, it's easy as fuck to use. But it's a bit limited. Maybe that's best for you. You could still use EZdrummer with logic express. So I would say EZ drummer + Logic Express or Pro Tools 7.2 LE + EZdrummer is the way to go for you.

Cubase 4 doesn't offer the same soundquality as Nuendo, which is the big brother of Cubase.

The difference from Cubase 4 to Nuendo isn't as big as Logic Express 7 to Logic Pro 7.

The difference from Pro Tools 7 HD to Pro Tools 7 LE isn't something you should worry about. Since HD systems are utterly expensive. Pro Tools M-Box powered is also an option, it's similar to Logic Express.

Garageband is a simple tool provided in the iLIFE packages bundled with Apple computers. It's also a great product with built in grooves. it's EASY to use.

M-Audio Firewire 1814 and 410 are PRO TOOLS 7 MBOX compatible.

MBOX 2 from digidesign is PRO TOOLS 7LE compatible.

Don't worry about LE or MBOX. :) it's only the amount of tracks.

FireWire 410 cards are great, so are MBOX 2 cards.

The would work with pro tools, logic, nuendo, cubase, sonar and all the DAWs on the marked.

T.C Electronics just came out with D24 I believe, it's NOT pro tools compatible. But it offers an internal DSP, which can be good for effects since it doesn't eat up your CPU power. Which again translates to lower latency.

T.C I belive is USB and FireWire.

FireWire 410 is USB and Firewire.

MBOX 2 is USB OR FireWire. 2 and 4 or was it 4 and 8 channels. not sure which are preamped.

The 410 has two preamps, same goes with the TC card.

I would stick with TC or Digidesign/M-Audio products. They are foolproof in my book.

The only time you need to worry about latency is when you are tracking guitars and using effects such as Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

To work around the MIDI drums, just simply bounce the miditrack to audio.

and then record your guitars ontop of that. I'm sure you won't experience any latency problems. :)

1gb of RAM is a must. 2gb is a preference of choice.

:)

For the amount of recording you will do the COMPUTER you are recording on will decide your latency. Santana you are COMPLETELY wrong. Sorry bro, but you are WAY out....

The main difference between is USB and Firewire 400 is that FireWire 400 is self-powered. Where USB 2.0 isn't really. Watch out if you got USB 1.1 or 2.0. That might affect your recording aswell.

At the end of the day it's your computer that decides the latency. Aswell as computer setup.

Pro Tools works better with two disks in NON RAID configuration. As PT doesn't work with RAID setups.

Cubase can benefit from RAID arrays. (RAID = Multible disks chained together, either mirrored or striped, meaning you can split your data to 2, 3 or 4 different hard drives. Some RAIDS offer 8 disks. This you don't need). Pro Tools needs a compatible external drive or an internal drive that you can swap map. Pro Tools writes between the two disks to bypass possible latency.

For home production up to 16 tracks in 48hz you don't need an external drive NOR worry about FireWire or USB soundcards. Simply because USB 2.0 offeres the same bandwith as FireWire 400. Firewire 800 offers more, But firewire 800 can only be found in RME's card, RME FireFace 800. This soundcard you DON'T need. And the FireWire 800 port DOES NOT give you lower latency nor better soundquality. The pros of FW800 is simply more datastream. It's not even clear if it's worth it, so 99% of the manufacturers keep it down to USB and FW 400.

I recommend Pro Tools for people who don't want to fuck around too much with sampling and virtual instruments. (VST and VSTi, a CUBASE/NUENDO standard).

Pro Tools maps up your different channels quickly and the soundcard is mapped to pro tools by default.

Cubase requires a little work to get up n working. I'm not Cubase fluent, but I work in Cubase, Logic and Pro Tools. For songwriting I would say Logic and Cubase are the best. For user friendliness I would say Pro Tools 7.2 is the best. The new Pro Tools 7.x Midi works great now too.

You can use EZ drummer or Reason to get a simple drum track. I would recommend EZ drummer since it's Drag n Drop and has OK beats for demo recording. You can get DFH Superior expansion pack or Vintage drummer expansion packs. Reason is more flexible but I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie.

Cubase has the benefit of Stylus RMX and countless of other VST instruments and sampling programs you can use. Like I said, it's a bit harder to use. But it's all based upon taste and what you learn from scratch.

Logic 7, though only on MAC is a great tool. it has built in samples (Logic 7 PRO) and it has built in midi instruments that can be used for demos and songwriting, arrangements... etc etc...

Logic 7 Express is a crippled version of Logic 7 Pro, it's easy as fuck to use. But it's a bit limited. Maybe that's best for you. You could still use EZdrummer with logic express. So I would say EZ drummer + Logic Express or Pro Tools 7.2 LE + EZdrummer is the way to go for you.

Cubase 4 doesn't offer the same soundquality as Nuendo, which is the big brother of Cubase.

The difference from Cubase 4 to Nuendo isn't as big as Logic Express 7 to Logic Pro 7.

The difference from Pro Tools 7 HD to Pro Tools 7 LE isn't something you should worry about. Since HD systems are utterly expensive. Pro Tools M-Box powered is also an option, it's similar to Logic Express.

Garageband is a simple tool provided in the iLIFE packages bundled with Apple computers. It's also a great product with built in grooves. it's EASY to use.

The would work with pro tools, logic, nuendo, cubase, sonar and all the DAWs on the marked.

T.C Electronics just came out with D24 I believe, it's NOT pro tools compatible. But it offers an internal DSP, which can be good for effects since it doesn't eat up your CPU power. Which again translates to lower latency.

MBOX 2 is USB OR FireWire. 2 and 4 or was it 4 and 8 channels. not sure which are preamped.

I would stick with TC or Digidesign/M-Audio products. They are foolproof in my book.

The only time you need to worry about latency is when you are tracking guitars and using effects such as Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

and then record your guitars ontop of that. I'm sure you won't experience any latency problems. :)

You're wrong, and you know nothing.

prove me I'm wrong then, instead of posting such an idiotic remark like, "you know nothing" considering you're a mod I'd expect a little higher level of "posting intelligence"

Browser - can you reccomend me some mac recording programs and links to download 'em here please?

sure, EZ drummer for drums, and logic 7 express. :)

try isohunt.com, proaudiotorrents.com, torrentspy.com etc etc...

prove me I'm wrong then, instead of posting such an idiotic remark like, "you know nothing" considering you're a mod I'd expect a little higher level of "posting intelligence"

:lol:

Joking, you moron. :D

:lol:

Joking, you moron. :D

you dick;D hahahahahahha :D fuck fuck fuck :D