17. My Michelle (With Bach)

18. Patience

19. Nightrain

-----ENCORE-----

20. Chinese Democracy

21. Madagascar

22. Paradise City

Edited by Catcher

This show was fucking amazing! It was absolutely perfect! Axl's voice was great, the band was spot-on. The solos weren't too long, and Dizzy did an amazing rendition of While My Guitar Gently Weeps on the piano.

I don't even know what to say.... it was fucking amazing!

GUNS N FUCKIN' ROSES, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!

rock1 rock1 rock1

It was obvious Axl had serious vocal problems and the solos were most probably improvised into the setlist so that he can relax his voice and drink whatever herbal tea with honey helps him.

On most of the Appetite songs the vocals were inaudible, because his voice was just gone. He was trying to make the best of it and it was obvious he was struggling. He managed to save some parts, though. Unfortunately even when he was talking you could tell he was suffering.

Additionally people were upset because of the schedule: between 8pm and 11:30pm people, who went to see GNR, had to sit through two other bands and a bunch of strippers. Then when GNR started the whole set was broken up by solo performances of 90% non-GNR material by non-GNR people. You can see why so many people walked out by the mid point of the show.

Axl was booed a few times, by people in GNR shirts and also Fink's solo got a few boos - he seemed to be too loud and not in key.

The last show in that venue in Nov. 2002 was of much better quality ...

The good part about the whole event was that even with all those problems Axl didn't walk off stage, and they tried to make the most of it.

That's my review.

Edited by kevinsmart

Funny how some people loved it to bits and others thought it could haver been better (hardy haha)... Maybe because of a mindset they took to the show? But people booing Finck is not good... seriously, maybe its time to cut some solos... i know we might love them, but random people who know nothing about the new band seem to get annoyed by them. Probably coz' it's not slash and all that shit. Whatever. Release CD and get the guitarists in the limelight and people will WANT to see them.

It was obvious Axl had serious vocal problems and the solos were most probably improvised into the setlist so that he can relax his voice and drink whatever herbal tea with honey helps him.

On most of the Appetite songs the vocals were inaudible, because his voice was just gone. He was trying to make the best of it and it was obvious he was struggling. He managed to save some parts, though. Unfortunately even when he was talking you could tell he was suffering.

Additionally people were upset because of the schedule: between 8pm and 11:30pm people, who went to see GNR, had to sit through two other bands and a bunch of strippers. Then when GNR started the whole set was broken up by solo performances of 90% non-GNR material by non-GNR people. You can see why so many people walked out by the mid point of the show.

Axl was booed a few times, by people in GNR shirts and also Fink's solo got a few boos - he seemed to be too loud and not in key.

The last show in that venue in Nov. 2002 was of much better quality ...

The good part about the whole event was that even with all those problems Axl didn't walk off stage, and they tried to make the most of it.

That's my review.

Thank you for your honesty and not drinking the kool-aid.

I bought tickets to see them in Ames a couple of months ago, but lately, I've been wondering why the hell do I have them.

Keeping it short; the show was a bit disappointing. This was my 4th "Chinese Democracy" concert and easily the least memorable.

The sound was ok. Axl's voice came through pretty well. The band sounded good, but nothing great.

There are 2 big problems with the show:

1) Now I agree- the solos, interludes and the middle section of the set suck the energy out of the place. Nobody knows the new stuff and all the songs get the polite applause at the end. You could see that people were bored at this show. Very little movement in the crowd. Much of the upper deck sat throughout the entire show. (I was on the floor about 20 "rows" back and looked around this show at the crowd to see their reactions etc). At one point a girl net to me goes "not another slow song" as they started Patience- and she was right, the momentum of the 1st 4 songs takes a long absence and hopefully retuenrd about 2 hrs later at the end.

It wasn't sold out, but a good showing.

2) These 11:30 starts on a Monday night after a long Thanksgiving weekend is hopefully what is to blame for much of the lack of energy at the venue on the crowds part. I left during Nightrain as I'd rather beat the traffic than hang out for amy more songs- I'd seen enough for one night-so I'm guilty of it too. Unfortunately-so had a lot of people. There were alot of empty seats/spacr on the floor and lower level by 1:30am.

--Oh yeah, they quit selling alcohol during Bach's set, so I was totally sober- which isn't the best way to enjoy a concert.

On a positive note- Frank was cool. He didn't play every song note for note, but his "mistakes"/additions (extra cymbal or kick drum) made some of the songs more lively-good job dude.

Axl, I love the music, but this is actually getting old. I won't make plans to see them live again unless they do lots of new stuff or throw in much more of the Illusion tracks. As for the predictability of the show "I think we've seen that movie too.." Axl.

Other bummer about the show-

No Down on the Farm or Beautiful solo. Fortus played something else that was familiar sounding, but not as good as the Beautiful duet.

Now Milwaukee's cancelled-at least it'll give him an extra day to work on the CD...haha.

cracks...beginning...to...show...again....

Was the show better than the one at the allstate in 2002? I went to that one but couldn't make it to last night's show. I really enjoyed seeing them in '02. Was this show better, worse or the same?

The show last night was much worse. 2002 was one of the best rock shows I've seen, and I've seen a lot.

I was sitting in the second row of section 210 directly to the left of Axl in the upper deck. From here, it sounded like his mic had horrible issues at times; it was scratching badly like the wireless was getting interference. It would sound 'ok' at times, but there was clearly someting wrong, and it wasn't just his voice. It went from barely noticable to awful intermittently all night, but I could hear the extra static every time he sang. The 3 guitar solos were a big time downer. This ain't a steve vai show, play the solos in the songs and keep them short. People want to rock out and this isn't 1990: sadly people will and did sit down when the energy was low. The dizzy piano beatles tune was good, but they killed that energy with back to back new songs and a superfulous solo to finish off anyone still standing. The band sounded great and tight when they were playing strainght from the CDs, and that's what people wanted to hear. The paradise city was not so hot I thought, they should have stuck to formula.

Sebastian Bach actually did a very good job as an opener, and even though he had less "hits" the crowd energy was more consistent than for GNR. When Jungle opened, the crowd was really into it, but after that first solo it was over, and people actually walked out before the encore. Axl hid out in the back whenever he wasn't singing, and would come running back on stage just in time to hit his lines every single time. Not good frontman behavior. They also seemed to have a roadie ask Bach to play a couple extra songs for whatever reason, and therefore the show went until 2. People were just not into it, and I don't blame them.

Don't mean to be a downer, but I'm callin it like I see it. Definitely were great moments, bus I would have preferred a blistering 45 minute set instead.

.....Don't mean to be a downer, but I'm callin it like I see it. Definitely were great moments, bus I would have preferred a blistering 45 minute set instead.

I agree completely with Train. I was in Row C of section 110, and I heard all of the same things that Train mentioned.

In addition, I also would like to point out the lack of Axl's crowd interaction...especially compared to the '02 show.

There was one spontaneous moment that I thought was funny. When Baz came out to perform My Michelle, he was wearing a new GNR t-shirt to which Axl said "Nice shirt". Baz said, "Thanks. I was trying to find a 'Pigeons of Shit Metal' shirt, but I couldn't". Axl seemed to really get a kick out of that.

I also saw Axl laugh at Fink when he walked up to Fink and noticed / felt the tassles hanging from his shirt sleeves.

Was that the first time playing Madagascar this tour? I know they weren't playing it for a while.. I was going nuts the whole show last night..Alcohol stopping an hour before GNR went on was fucking ridiculous, everyone was dieing from dehydration. If fucking axl would go on at a decent time it wouldn't be a problem.. i think the dont cry solo was good, i didn't really want to hear that song so that eased the pain. Better was the shit!

Was that the first time playing Madagascar this tour? I know they weren't playing it for a while.. I was going nuts the whole show last night..Alcohol stopping an hour before GNR went on was fucking ridiculous, everyone was dieing from dehydration. If fucking axl would go on at a decent time it wouldn't be a problem.. i think the dont cry solo was good, i didn't really want to hear that song so that eased the pain. Better was the shit!

The don't cry solo was pretty sweet. Ron's fucking awesome! (He looks like he could be in Korn now, lol!)

Better was awesome, but that would have to be my only complaint from the show. It wasn't loud enough during that song. Everything sounded perfectly clear from where I was (Right side of the floor, about 20 feet back), except for Better- it wasn't nearly as loud as the rest of the set, and there were a few moments where I couldn't even hear Axl at all.

Another fucking awesome part was the "extended?" intro-riff to Chinese Democracy.

Call me crazy, but I thought last nights concert topped the one in 2002. I think everyone was just agitated because we all had to wait until effin 11:30pm for axl to come out. Bach was alright, but they should have cut his performance in half. I thought Axl's voice was MUCH better than last time he came to chicago.

Call me crazy, but I thought last nights concert topped the one in 2002. I think everyone was just agitated because we all had to wait until effin 11:30pm for axl to come out. Bach was alright, but they should have cut his performance in half. I thought Axl's voice was MUCH better than last time he came to chicago.

I was talking to some friends who were on the barricade with me and they also said this one was better than the one in '02.

I did notice the sound messing up every now and then, but I didn't get the impression that Axl was having trouble singing at all. But that might be because of how close I was to the speakers. I thought they all did really well and I loved the show. It was pretty damn long, too. I agree that the energy in the place was getting really low during the solos, jams, and the new songs. Hopefully the show got some more people turned on to the 'new' GN'R though!

& I know someone mentioned the EODM joke Baz made. Did anyone else notice after laughing at it, Axl called them "The Cockatiels of Crap Metal?" :D

My entire day was pretty damn crazy, but hopefully they'll come back next year for the next leg of the tour and that will work out better.

Edited by olga

Saw Guns from 15 yards away at Hammerstein, then saw them last night in Chicago. There is absolutely no comparison. Hammerstein blew Chicago away! No boring long solos..zzzzzz..... There was so much more energy at Hammerstein and it started later than Chicago (and still on a Monday). However, it was the same set list (minus the solos). It would have been great to hear a couple different songs (like Civil War). This show, it seemed like Axl was bored... but now it sounds like he wasn't feeling well. Perhaps he should have started earlier so he could catch up on some sleep. Bach sucked... what a poser. What was with the AC/DC hair flipping? I was 20 feet from the stage and saw Bach hit Bumblefoot twice with his hair.... yuck! Also, what the hell is the deal with stopping alcohol sales one and a half hours before Guns started? No wonder everybody was sleeping and wanted to leave.

I managed to get front row center and I gotta say, it was one of the funnest times of my life. The band was on from start to finish and Axl gave it his all and it showed. The crowd was great and there was a lot of band/crowd interaction that just added to the excitement. Hope Axl gets better soon and I look forward to seeing them again.

Saw Guns from 15 yards away at Hammerstein, then saw them last night in Chicago. There is absolutely no comparison. Hammerstein blew Chicago away! No boring long solos..zzzzzz..... There was so much more energy at Hammerstein and it started later than Chicago (and still on a Monday). However, it was the same set list (minus the solos). It would have been great to hear a couple different songs (like Civil War). This show, it seemed like Axl was bored... but now it sounds like he wasn't feeling well. Perhaps he should have started earlier so he could catch up on some sleep. Bach sucked... what a poser. What was with the AC/DC hair flipping? I was 20 feet from the stage and saw Bach hit Bumblefoot twice with his hair.... yuck! Also, what the hell is the deal with stopping alcohol sales one and a half hours before Guns started? No wonder everybody was sleeping and wanted to leave.

Well...youre just an idiot now arent you? Anyone who was actually at this amazing show and wasnt impressed wouldnt know a good show if it crawled up their ass. Axl was more energetic and loud then ive seen him so far on this entire tour. The show was incredible. End of story.

I managed to get front row center and I gotta say, it was one of the funnest times of my life. The band was on from start to finish and Axl gave it his all and it showed. The crowd was great and there was a lot of band/crowd interaction that just added to the excitement. Hope Axl gets better soon and I look forward to seeing them again.

Well...youre just an idiot now arent you? Anyone who was actually at this amazing show and wasnt impressed wouldnt know a good show if it crawled up their ass. Axl was more energetic and loud then ive seen him so far on this entire tour. The show was incredible. End of story.

Obviously, you're the idiot (and probably know a lot about things crawling up your ass). What did you ride your bicycle to the concert (clearly without a helmet)? I guess it would be hard to tell a good concert from a bad one when all you have to compare it to is your 8th grade band concert (let me guess... you were third Trombone?) What exactly was the band/crowd interaction? When Axl said "Hello"? "seen him so far on this entire tour"? What would that make ... once? Why don't you save the "reviews" for those who have some idea what they are talking about...... End of story.