American Hardcore

Zint

I saw this documentary at the theatre last night and wanted to gab about it more than would be allowed on the other board.

Anybody with an interest in punk or hardcore should really try to see this movie!

I was totally immersed in it with a big shit eating grin on my face within the first few minutes.

This movie does a good job of actually capturing the essence of what was going on within the hardcore scene in the 80's.

A highlight for me was the segment on the Boston scene...there were some great bands from there - Jerry's Kids,Gang Green etc.

I saw many of those bands live (and partied with them)...amazing live shows!

They briefly showed an album cover for a Boston release called This Is Boston,Not L.A.

....I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT to fans of that kind of music...look for it,you'll be glad you did!

I had a chuckle at the straight edge movement segments,never went in for that..."escape" was necessary by any means,sorry Ian Mackay...going to a punk show and sipping water wasn't going to cut it....for me and my friends anyway!

The biggest disappointment for me in the movie was the lack of Dead Kennedy's representation,it almost seems like they didn't want to be a part of the movie??

I saw this documentary at the theatre last night and wanted to gab about it more than would be allowed on the other board.

Anybody with an interest in punk or hardcore should really try to see this movie!

I was totally immersed in it with a big shit eating grin on my face within the first few minutes.

This movie does a good job of actually capturing the essence of what was going on within the hardcore scene in the 80's.

A highlight for me was the segment on the Boston scene...there were some great bands from there - Jerry's Kids,Gang Green etc.

They briefly showed an album cover for a Boston release called This Is Boston,Not L.A.

....I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT to fans of that kind of music...look for it,you'll be glad you did!

I had a chuckle at the straight edge movement segments,never went in for that..."escape" was necessary by any means,sorry Ian Mackay...going to a punk show and sipping water wasn't going to cut it....for me and my friends anyway!

The biggest disappointment for me in the movie was the lack of Dead Kennedy's representation,it almost seems like they didn't want to be a part of the movie??

Straight Edge kicked ass! not my kinda thing but i like the disciplined rage motif. that song on its own by Minor Threat is really cool. wasnt he in Fugazi? where can i get this on DVD or what theatres is it on in or what?

Straight Edge kicked ass! not my kinda thing but i like the disciplined rage motif. that song on its own by Minor Threat is really cool. wasnt he in Fugazi? where can i get this on DVD or what theatres is it on in or what?

I agree about the Straight Edge thing, I respect it as an individual choice that requires discipline. Minor Threat were awesome and Fugazi were even better.

However it did get corrupted in parts by self righteous sheep who would go around telling people what to do and beating up drunk people.

However it did get corrupted in parts by self righteous sheep who would go around telling people what to do and beating up drunk people.

You're absolutely right,this gets discussed in the movie!

The scene splintered into so many different factions and too many prophets were preaching to the choir (which was one of the beefs I had with straight edge).

Things became territorial and in some major cities factions morphed into gangs...real gangs.

Some people say it was the downfall of the movement,I say not entirely..many things happened that lead to the implosion.

Damn Zint you are so lucky to have been around for some of those shows. I definitely have to check this movie out-unfortunately I live in a small town with a shit theater but I'm only an hour from Atlanta and this sounds like it's worth the trip for sure.

Damn Zint you are so lucky to have been around for some of those shows. I definitely have to check this movie out-unfortunately I live in a small town with a shit theater but I'm only an hour from Atlanta and this sounds like it's worth the trip for sure.

I wish I'd known they were making it,I've got some footage in my private collection that I filmed which I would have gladly let them use.

Black Flag

Circle Jerks

D.O.A...(LOTS of other Canadian stuff..)

B)

Edited by zint61

• 2 weeks later...

FUNNIEST quote from the movie!!

Mike Watt...(paraphrased,probably a lot...)

"I couldn't wait for my rebel years,every generation has their pissed off years...when I was a kid I couldn't WAIT to be 17!

And what's there when I finally turn 17?...Peter Frampton in a kimono".